Anyone up for a November songwriting challenge?

I’m in

1 Like

What would be a better challenge (more practical)?

1. trying to get 5 original songs demoed in a month (super basic low quality demos)

or

1. trying to write and “finish” ONE song in a month

orrrrrr, maybe what we all need the most work on

1. write and basic demo 10 HOOKS in a month

Any ideas? Thanks, JJ

“Finishing” a song is a real ‘stopper’ for me as I really struggle with this…
For me, I’d really like a creative flurry, just throwing some things out there… We could label them something like Nov SoC or some dumb thing and be clear if we post them that they are creative work in progress… One a week?

1 Like

maybe a nice 2 month long, 2 part thing, if we have the attention span lol

Month 1. Commit to posting up one demo song per week. However each person defines demo, but it needs to have vocals obviously (thats my lazy point). Maybe help each other decide which is the best demo and then---->

Month 2. Pick ONE of those demos and “finish” it to the best of your current ability…posting your progress each week.

problem there being it goes into Christmas and we will all get sidetracked on that 2nd month lol

1 Like

Sounds cool…
maybe the xmas deadline is still okay… just the ‘to the best of our ability’ by xmas and within that restricted time frame?
I found myself already mentally procrastinating till the new year and that’s a bad trick of mine… always making excuses…
One a week for the month of November? label them ‘November demo’…
I’d like to try some experimental stuff…

1 Like

I started early lol

lets get this thing going.

Im going to aim for at least 5 demos which for me will probably mean drums/guitar/vocal

I guess we should each have separate threads for our own demos but also post them together in this thread or a new thread?

any ideas?

or maybe wait until the end and see how much participation we get and THEN make a post where all the demos are listed together and we each decide/vote on which songs to finish?

1 Like

Let’s put them in Bash this… with a heading - November songwriting challenge - and maybe a link to this thread?
Gawd… it’s November already… better get moving… :smile:

1 Like

Just throwing this out there. I REALLY like the idea of just throwing some unfinished demos out there to get the process started. You’ll get a LOT more people involved as they are more open to sharing what they’re working on than you’ll get otherwise. A lot of people are less likely to share a “completed” project out there because they often don’t ever feel like it’s truly “completed”. Just my 2 cents.
Anyway, my idea… When you submit a demo, you could mention in the post whether or not you’re open to collaboration on the demo. That could really help a number of people to keep the ball rolling on the project.

2 Likes

the idea IS to throw out unfinished, scratch demo stuff. At the end of November people have the option to pick one of their songs and try to “finish” it

Its just something to get me (us) to get over mental barriers and actually sing (or whatever peoples particular hangups are)

1 Like

Maybe I misread the post. Sorry

1 Like

for all confused peeps, the idea is more or less to throw out one scratch demo per week in November

for me that will be ezdrummer drums, guitar, vocals…maybe bass. all just quick and dirty to get a feel for what it can turn into

I guess the idea is that a lot of us r perfectionists and if we cant have something perfect then we just procrastinate into nothingness. so this is an attempt to overcome some of that perfectionism by stating ahead of time that these are just demo ideas…not polished tracks

2 Likes

This sounds like it will be much fun. Down the road I thought it would be a good idea to do a challenge on completely new material. Somebody would start with their idea only. It would read …genre, country…topic fishin, or skinny dippin or whatever. The ideas would be set forth from that first post. Just a thought??

Sincerely

Paul

2 Likes

this IS for new material lol

see where it says ‘songWRITING’ lol

its funny how the mind and psyche works…along with ingrained habits.

1. ive upped my lyric writing lately and actually started entering them into notepad. Thats good

2. I have my guitar recording setup arranged nicely atm so its easy for me to practice and record demo stuff. Thats good

3. My singing voice should be as good as ever atm. I have purposefully NOT sang as much at work so im keeping my voice fresh

4. I got my headset working so I can easily sing and record vocals while comfortably sitting up in bed with the trusty laptop next to me etc

5. I had Wed and Thur off from work. Wed was Nov 1, the start of this challenge

6. I wrote a brand new song on guitar Tues and Wed and had ideas for the vocal melody and lyrics

7. sooooooo today…I STILLLLL procrastinated on actually singing lol. I guess you can lead a horse to water lol

Ok, sorry, I thought it said some of your unused tracks. i get most wrong

1 Like

well I might use some of my old stuff, old lyrics or old guitar stuff. No exaggeration I have enough guitar demos laid down for at least 5 albums lol

You might be confused thinking this is a COLLABORATION challenge? It wasnt intended that way. This is just all of us trying to help motivate each other to get on the stick and throw down some demo ideas

1 Like

lets get this party started

I’ve already started ‘thinking’ about what I’m going to do… have had absolutely no time but am determined to put ‘something’ together next week and that it will be all fresh and not a recycle from my parking zone… so it will likely be very experimental. Thanks for pushing ahead with this! :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve got a demo on my new banjo. So far I only know three chords, so it’s definitely going to be a novelty track, but a damn good one.

4 Likes