Wasteland mix

I really love the direction of the re-mix!! Everything sounds pretty ok, just miss some grit to make it solid and glue together!

1 Like

Yeah I really should have held onto this mix another day or two, there’s a lot I could have done to make it a little better.

Listening to this new arrangement is so good it’s like being shot in the face with a double barrel pleasure machine gun loaded with food, shelter, and love. Like some have said, some of the vox are out of time now, but there’s a lot to like about this mix. Some subtle refining could have helped a lot. I would have highpassed the bass guitar some more to get rid of that thunderous low end that’s cluttering up the mix. Could probably be fixed with some mutli-band comrpession on the bass, and also recommend turning the piano down or off, because it really really doesn’t fit the heavy arrangement. I love you.

1 Like

That is by far the nicest thing anyone has ever said about anything I’ve ever worked on ever. Thank you sir :wink:

1 Like

I like your take on it man. My only thoughts is the bass doesn’t sound in time when the verse kicks back in after the chorus. Just IMO, I could be hearing it wrong though

1 Like

I find myself a little uninterested in listening to all the different mixes because most of the time the remixes are merely level adjustments, delays, reverbs, compression, etc., but this was a breath of fresh air. Finally, someone actually changed the song and added obvious (not subtle) instrumentation.

At the start of the song, the vocals seemed like they were EQ’d to sound like they were coming from a telephone…At first I was thinking "Damn, does he think this sounds good’?! …But, then the vocals changed once the drums and bass came in, and I thought “Ah, that’s better”. Hearing the song as a whole, now I can appreciate the initial vocal EQ choice.

I like the way you brought some rockin’ energy to this. I’d try to clarify the drums in the mix, later in the song. They seem to get buried a bit as the other instruments come in and the song builds, although they’re clear when they first come in.

I also like that you redid the little guitar solo part. It sounds much cleaner and concise to me.

1 Like

Yeah that was the idea to have them all lofi and weird sounding for that first part of the verse until everything kicks in. There’s a lot I could do to improve things overall, this was my first mix in Reaper so I was a little out of my comfort zone, and didn’t have all my normal plugins. I think I will probably go back and polish things up at some point just to have it, but its too late for the mix contest

1 Like

So congrats to get such a result with that constraint!!

1 Like

Thanks! I am pretty happy with it overall. I just have a tendency in every mix to get to a point where I think it sounds awesome, and then I get excited about it and mix down too soon. I can’t use Reaper as an excuse for that lol.

1 Like

Great thought! :+1:

1 Like

aggressive one) vocal should be more louder i thought

1 Like

Unexpected mix !!!

90’s rock vibe there. Love it.

Just have to clean the low of the kick.

congrats crazy guy !

1 Like

Killer mix man! Nice and outside the box, and very very well done. I seem to be commenting these right after Moa22 on these mixes - and as he said, the only thing I really hear is the kick in the first half is too loud. Once things get cranking though, it really works. Cool mix all around. This was a fun one!

1 Like

Nice unexpected mix. Being a lazy bass player, the 1/8th notes didn’t bother me. :wink:

2 Likes

As rock n roll kind of gal, I loved all the extra additions to your mix!! So could be a bit of bias there on my rating for your mix… lol
I love good dry vocals for this mix, I think dry vocal approach is appropriate for this song as it brings out the pain that lays beneath the song. Vocals can be dry but they can still be made empowering with the right choices.

I had a love-hate relationship with the vocals in this mix. I think they work in parts but in some other parts they were a bit too “thin and narrow”. Opening vocals came out a bit thin from being notched a bit more than needed. I assume it was done to make room for the rock and roll additions. It still works and is smooth to listen to.

Great work! Fantastic additions!!

2 Likes

It was meant to sound like a lofi telephone type effect in the beginning part, and on a word or two later in the song.
I don’t think I quite pulled it off though as it kind of comes off as just being badly eqed, so maybe I needed to either make the effect more obviously an effect, or leave the vocals more natural in those spots.

Aha! yea I think a bit more obvious on the effect could have pulled it off. I do see what you were doing though. It could be really cool if it opened with a faint distant radio type echo that built up gradually into the regular sound, as if marooned in the wasteland - flashback - dreamsequence- type thing. Really cool mix though.

1 Like

I keep coming back to listen to this mix just because it is so outside the box. I’m still shocked that the same vocal works so well with the version. I think the only knocks I have are the initial vocal. I definitely see what you were going for, but it just didn’t quite do it. Then of course, the mood and introspective lyrics kind of get lost with the jam - but it is just so well done! Again - nice job! What drum vst do you use? They sound great!

1 Like

Thanks! I used ez drummer 2 for the drums.

Yeah man i am digging this. For me this feels good. I think the kick is a little thick but not too much. I found the vocal in the first verse just did not sit quite right but I would say a few tweaks and right on.

1 Like