Woke...rock

My thoughts, but maybe not yours. Monitors of the site, pull it if it offends anyone.

third attempt at a chorus not yet recorded…not happy with this on either ha ha

What was wrong with yesterday… it seemed so good to me G
Full of fun and laughter ….so proud of being free F
What was wrong with yesterday …we all did then agree G
We loved …this…… land… from sea to shining sea F Am

Woke

Ya drank all the kool aid…you sucked up every drop Am F
You didn’t challenge nothin…that is so messed up G Am
Your mind is not your own…every thought is just a clone Am F
I’ll make up my decides… just leave me alone G Am

F C G Am
Listening to you is so defeating spewing all their words you’ve been trained tosay
It wasn’t long ago you meant a lot to me…but I’m gonna have to go my own way

The dictionary tells me …that woke means aware G
A fight for social justice… cuz things are just not fair F
Some claim to be mistreated …they protest and they swear G
Despise all of those rich folks… they want their fair share F Am

Yur runnin with the crowd all excited with their talk Am F
One thing that you have omitted… Is original thought G Am
Congratulation you are now a part of their cult Am F
Your contribution to this world a total insult G Am

You are diggin this thirst everything must change Am F
No topic is safe so much to rearrange G Am
Yur in a new crowd everything will be a first Am F
The past generation’s thinkin oh so strange G Am

2 Likes

Another excellent creation, a protest song, indeed!
I love the guitar track, and your vocals is superb on this recording!!!
You are oozing with talent and musicality!!!
Stay well, and keep making 'em great music!!!

1 Like

Great topic and great start on the song. I guess I’m too old for a lot of the “woke” thing; us old guys turned out all right with less of it to worry about.
Your voice is great on this one, do you plan on working on it a bit more?

3 Likes

Hey Bob Good to hear from you. I thought of you when I wasn’t getting a good sounds on my guitars. The only thing that works for me now is a clean sound. ha ha
I don’t like the chorus at all. I first had it “I agree to disagree” and then wrote a different one. Three times a charm might be the answer.
I am old and just get so upset about everything radically changing. I now write songs that I am thinking about at that moment.
I thought I would do more with the track if it was found acceptable by yawl. ha ha
Ya wanna throw somenthing in, that would be great, or just take it and run. You know how I think. Something to do that is fun and that is all. lyrics are the test.
keep rockin my friend…never give up

1 Like

Hi Paul - wow, you’re really in a purple patch, creatively! As usual, this has your trademark catchy melodies and cool harmonies, so well done on that count!

I have some criticism, though - I know you’re a big boy, so I’m sure you’ll take it as it’s intended. Disclaimer: Remember, this is based on my personal opinion and tastes, so take it with the requisite grain of salt, should you see fit…

First up: The chorus - IMO a pop song needs to have a hook in the chorus - something that sticks in your head - I think if you worked harder on this, you might be able to find a hook that states the message of the song in a clever way that sticks with the listener and makes them think.

Second: I found the lyrics really obvious and preachy. In my opinion, the best ‘social commentary/protest’ songs are those that don’t necessarily state the obvious.

Take, for example, Springsteen’s “Born in the USA”, Aerosmith’s ‘Janie’s Got a Gun’ or even Dylan’s “Blowin’ in the Wind”. None of these songs explicitly say “That is wrong; This is right, and ‘Here is how you should think’”. They all use either story-telling and/or questioning in an attempt to make the listener think.

My dear dad was fond of saying “A person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still”…. I remember the first time hearing “Born in the USA” as a teenager and dismissing it, thinking “what is this pathetic, patriotic posturing? - typical Americans!” BUT, the second time I heard it, I stopped and listened to the verses, and the lyrics landed like a punch to the gut!

I really admire your prodigious creative output - keep ‘em coming!

2 Likes

Hi Andy It was only one second ago I told Bob that lyrics were tough and I didn’t like even my second attempt at a chorus.
The lyics in general are nothing that grab ya by the balls for sure. I will totally rewrite the whole dang thing. You know what would be cool? If we had a lyricist here on the forum that would say: ok guys, i wrote a song about the new woke culture. Take my lyrics and write a rock song. BOOM done.
I absolutely love when folks like you tell the complete truth . Nobody wins getting fed encouraging BS.
Completely open for any and all to jump in. thanks for taking the time …makes my mind go into turbo mode

1 Like

Whew! That’s a relief!… I think part of the “everyone gets a participation medal” culture is that critique - being able to give it and take it - has sadly become a lost art. If your mind is ‘turbo mode’, that’s a great thing!

2 Likes

That happens to me too, though I haven’t been able to follow through on the production, typically. Just a song idea and some lyrics, and it just sits there.

I wouldn’t worry about acceptability, just do it and then see what you think, and what we think, and go from there. The essence of creativity, IMO, stems from having no (or very few) ‘rules’. Try it, and see what happens. If no babies or animals were harmed in the process, no foul no penalty. :slightly_smiling_face:

I find it very annoying, but also at times “comic relief”. :joy: Lots of times it’s like a pesky annoying mosquito zipping around your head and trying to suck your blood. We’d be better off without it IMO.
Some of it is “cultural Marxism” being taught in the education system (a topic I can espouse on at length when prompted :wink:), so I don’t blame the young-ins for their indoctrination. But I do try to get them to “question everything” and don’t let the brain-washing continue. If you’re ignorant, that may not be your fault … but when you’re alerted to being ignorant and given a chance to correct it, and you don’t, that’s on you.

3 Likes

Yes, those are the best. Definitely something to strive for. The power of nuance and subtlety.

True stuff. It reminds me of another one attributed to Mark Twain:
“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Once they are convinced (i.e. “fooled”) they can only choose, if they wish, to reconsider. Many won’t, out of pride or shame or whatever (i.e. “ego”).
It’s an especially useful concept in terms of “fake news”.

Ha, I’m an American and the same thing happened to me! It was the Reagan years (“1984” no less), and being a lifelong Liberal up until a few years ago, I didn’t care for such pronouncements (I now see what the Liberal agenda has been pushing). But the lyrics were clearly more deep and reflective once you gave them a chance. Interestingly, Ronald Reagan publicly gave a nod to Bruce Springsteen after that, for his ‘patriotism’, and Bruce gave him the cold shoulder.

Yes, the “art of conversation” isn’t about always agreeing or seeing things the same way, it’s about respectful dialogue and looking for what might be the best answers we can find at the time.

3 Likes

feaker,
Everything sounds good to me! Though maybe the ending could be more dramatic. Very good song!

1 Like

Ironically, it’s this ‘walking on eggshells’ mentality that gives the entire insidious woke agenda legitimacy.
Once upon a time, you didn’t have to formulate a sentence or idea based around the fear that someone may become offended, or worse yet attempt to cancel you.
Just for anyone who is still unaware, the idea of wokism, political correctness and social justice was NEVER an organic, grassroots movement that seeks to benefit the lives of those less fortunate among society.
It’s a well-funded, long-planned agenda by the wealthiest individuals and supranational corporations to further drive a wedge between us all. As the social-engineers will tell you (or maybe they won’t) a divided population, is an easily controlled and managed population.
Unfortunately there are many people within society, who latch on to these contrived agenda, and go out of their way to try and show the world how virtuous and socially conscious they are (usually to compensate for an unremarkable, vapid existence), and are hopelessly unaware that they’re being led by the nose by a hidden hand.
There are multi-trillion dollar investment firms such as Blackrock forcing/coercing companies to adopt what’s know as ‘ESG’ or Environmental Social Governance, and as a result, these cancerous ideologies trickle down from above and permeate their way into all our lives.
Rant over, sorry not sorry.

Cool track, I like it a lot. mix could do with a bit of balancing, especially the drums which seem to get quite lost (bar the cymbals which are super loud) but nothing that can’t be sorted in the mix. Good stuff Paul.

3 Likes

Hi Terryman I am just so sad about the fall of our country. I have gotten way too vocal about it as of late.
As far as the tune, i just throw things together and move on to another idea. One of the only things I really enjoy anymore. The process that is. I do like to chat with friends here as well.
I am so busy here at home now with difficult yearly tasks of getting my home and 40 acres back to normal again.
Great read, your thoughts on wokeism. Smart guy you are…peace

1 Like

Triple thumbs-up on those comments! :+1: :+1: :+1: I would add that it’s Blackrock, Vanguard, and Blackstone as the BIG 3 IIRC. As to “wokism”, well, that’s a foregone middle-finger conclusion. :grin:

You can never be too vocal against evil IMO. No question, this is a battle of good vs. evil all over the world. I used to try to understand the atheist viewpoint, but if you can’t now understand the moral/ethical difference and that there’s something spiritual that is actually GOOD, and an opposing force that is EVIL, I don’t know what to tell you. Trans-humanism, Control, Slavery (which is really what we’re talking about), Babylonian Money Magic, and all the other Dark Arts is what we’re up against. There’s no more political correctness, there’s only Truth. Speak The Truth, and you’re likely to be saved by whatever Grace exists in this Universe. Oppose the Darkness, The Evil. Whatever it takes. This shouldn’t be political. It’s existential. And it’s about the future of our species.

You’re truly blessed Paul, by having an expansive homestead. I’m sure it’s a lot of work. My little plot is work enough these days, and I’m trying to grow as much food as I can and provide fuel for when SHTF. That’s when we find out what people are really made of. Good or bad.

2 Likes

We could throw ‘State Street’ in there for good measure.

Exactly right. It’s extremely easy/convenient for most to default to the position of “I don’t talk politics”, in order to avoid discussing these uncomfortable topics.

2 Likes

You got that right. Very few know or care to know this.

2 Likes

Paul, I am so upset, I am coming to burn your house down. :open_mouth: Great tune. How is your heart and your health been? I think the blood thinners make you sing better. I need to a heart attack It thing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi James Not sure why I write any of my songs. Just started one today about the devil. ha ha
My heart I think is ok. I have however been very weak as late. My home and grounds are a whole lot of work. I never did have a heart attack. They found the blockages. I was lucky, well sorta. Two of the three bypasses failed in the first two weeks. Had to let the bottom of my heart die. Very long story. Glad to still be kicking. Take care and thanks for stopping by

Sadly this. I see Target is the latest to jump on the ‘go woke go broke’ bandwagon, following Bud Light straight down the toilet.

2 Likes

So the pic before the video looks like she is constipated. I lasted 15 seconds and shouted STFU

1 Like

The presenter in the vid (girl in red) is actually highlighting the corporate woke degeneracy being rammed down ALL our throats.

1 Like