What is Your Winter Music Goal? (Or Summer on the Other Side of the Planet)

Continuing the discussion from What is your summer music goal?:
I haven’t seen the sun in six days, so even though it’s still fall it feels like winter is already here. What kinda projects do all you folks have up for this winter/summer?

2 Likes

My first goal is to try and make myself write something every week in November… as per the songwriting challenge but…
it’s nearly the end of week one and I’ve only just started… eeeeek…
O well… nowt like a bit of pressure…
I am making some utterly daft sounds here today… :blush:

3 Likes

I’m “trying” to work on some Christmas songs right now…We’ll see how that goes. I have no motivation and my discipline seems to be at an all time low. :dizzy_face::flushed:

I’ve got a ton of music to work on…, and zero drive. I just want to surf the internet and waste my life away.

I also am trying to make more videos for my original songs, as well as recording a few more originals. I have the tunes, but I don’t have all the fine details of the arrangements made. The arrangements are almost always the hardest part for me. There’s just too many choices to be made, so instead of making choices, I spin in circles, or I just avoid making choices altogether.

2 Likes

I’m suffering thru pre-production with our drummer…trying to put him to click and the more elaborate parts are not happening…almost thinking that we’d probably miss our recording goal at this point.

1 Like

Yeah, sometimes it can be hell, trying to get a musician to play tightly to the click…It’s even worse when the drummer can’t do it.

Well…we’re trying to do a metal album and want it to be tight, with decent studio budget but I kinda fell into de-facto producer role as the only one that has worked as recording engineer.
So I am trying to address most of the glaring and upward to moderate issues before we hit the studio.

2 Likes

Let’s write a yuletide number over in the @TourBus category.

It might take a bit of practice for the drummer to get accustomed to playing with a click, but it’s worth it. I guess you can always quantize / align the drum tracks if the drummer can’t get it right, but that might take a lot of time. You definitely want your drums to be tight before laying down the rest of the tracks…A solid foundation/ base is essential.

Is this Yuletide number going to be obscene? :thinking:

1 Like

I was thinking we could insult the pope at least.

1 Like

omg its depressing because I vaguely remember listing goals back around New Years. IIRC it was 3 FINISHED songs to be proud of by Spring!! lol

here it is November and im currently sitting at 0 finished lol. How does it happen like that? All the while though I feel im somehow “progressing”? lol.

That being said I think I mentioned wanting to lose 50 lbs and I have lost 43ish so far since April…so the year isnt a total write off lol.

Maybe I can salvage the year by having at least ONE song “finished” so i have at least that much to show for my existence. Then again, when is a song ever “finished?” lol

4 Likes

Great job on the weight loss @Jon-Jon!!!
Seems like the headset has helped you a ton on getting going with the songwriting goals too, so you’re making good progress!

1 Like

I’ve had a lot of material waiting to be recorded most of the year, and I’m ashamed to say I’ve only gotten around to one or two songs. I usually get the arrangement down, and send a fairly complete scratch track to my drummer. I get frustrated by knowing that this type of process handcuffs him to a certain extent, because he has to react to the scratch track rather than putting the accents in how a drummer would. I guess I use that as an excuse for not finishing things in a realistic time frame.
My winter music goal is therefore to complete what I already have, and figure out a better workflow. I wouldn’t call it true depression, since that would be disrespectful to those truly suffering, but it bothers me when I think I have music that I felt the need to write that seems so difficult to complete. Lots of ideas, no follow through.

1 Like

yep, I have calculated it out. At my current rate I will have a 10 song album completed by age 266 lol

1 Like

I didn’t choose to mention my goals in that “Summer Goals” thread but one of them was to bench press 250 lbs by October 1st 2017…I never missed a workout, I trained hard, I ate healthy and I did everything I could…but I still didn’t do it…I’m still trying to get there by the end of the year. My lift has plateau’d at about 235 lbs…and I actually got a bit weaker from overtraining at the start of August. I’m trying every trick in the book…, except PED’s (steroids).

2 Likes

My only goal is to get my ass back in the studio and get at it again. Haven’t done anything in there in months. Too much happening…

3 Likes

Looking forward to having you around here more!!

Hi fart I have been producing a lot of dark stuff as of late. Just started one that is sickening sweet. I have many senior moments as of late. I did a scratch vocal and could hear a lot of garbage it it. It sounded high frequency. I forgot I had a portable room heater cycling off and on. ha ha I leave my home in Michigan to stay with my daughter south of Houston for the winter and warmth. Unfortunately i only take the laptop to Texas and no guitars etc. I record individual bass notes and plug them in. I buy a pawnshop guitar to get me thru that time. Can’t go cold turkey and not record for four months. Might try a collab soon as well. I don’t work anymore so I have gobs of time.

Sincerely

Paul

2 Likes

at this specific point in time I have a singing voice again if you have a project you’d like to ‘share’… but y’know how difficult I am… :crazy_face:

1 Like

I could tell by your last track that your voice sounded good. Yeah that other song I sent you was not your style or frequency range. Sorry bout that, but if you remember, at that time, I said “before I croak, I would love to do a collab with you” ha ha who would have thunk Life is good

sincerely

Paul

1 Like