What is Your Winter Music Goal? (Or Summer on the Other Side of the Planet)

That cow thing was my first ‘real’ (??) vocal recording for about 6 months… true…
Thought I might have lost my voice but seems to be coming back… still not great with the higher and purer but think I’ll even get that back in a bit. Winter is a cruel beast for my health… remind me never to commit to serious live stuff haha.

So, send me something and I’ll try and warble along… :smile:

2 Likes

gotta back off and work back up

something like 3 sets of 5 is almost infallible

1 Like

I’m sort of looking ahead to my next EP. I’ve got 5 songs I’ve written since my last EP that will work well together, and will probably write at least one more in a month or two. I’m also buying myself some Sonarworks calibrated Sennheiser HD600 headphones as a “you got a new job” gift, whenever I manage to actually get a new job, haha, and plan to put more focus on mixing after that happens. I was unhappy working with someone else to mix my last EP (not to mention how expensive it was,) and want to do it myself this time. I’ll still send the tracks elsewhere for mastering (and a second opinion.) But yeah that’ll be exciting I think. I hope it’s better than my last EP, and that I can just keep moving forward.

4 Likes

How are you marketing your recordings? What kind of results are you getting?

In Springtime last year I uploaded a video to YouTube which was an original song based on a video game called Life is Strange. It got more positive feedback than anything I’d ever done before, so I went with it. Most of the songs I do lately are inspired by the games. My first EP is heavily inspired by it, and so was my marketing approach. I marketed it to fans of the game. I also ran a Facebook ad for a while, which performed quite well.

Between PayPal and Distrokid I’ve sold about $400 worth of my EP. It’s not a lot, but it’s something. I’ve gotten about 700 new YouTube subscribers in the last year (just passed the 1,000 mark this past week.) I feel like if I keep going with it all, it’s only a matter of time before I improve my skills and succeed in building as large of an audience as I would like. As a long term goal I’d really like to get my music into TV shows and stuff. It may be quite a few years in front of me, but I’ll just keep working at it. If you want to check out my branding and other social media results, here’s my website: https://hawkemusic.com/

5 Likes

Wow, great start. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

That’s pretty exciting progress @Cristina! Definitely cheering you on from the sidelines here. :smile:

Smart move to hitch on to a popular game as a tie-in like this, too. Gets you over that initial “activation energy” hurdle for a lot of folks, and gets you some attentive listeners I reckon. Keep us posted!

1 Like

Hey, @CPF. I’m trying to learn the banjo, just like you. I’m hoping to be pretty proficient come spring time, but with time constraints, I’m not sure if I can. I’ll throw what I got into it.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve lowered the poundage and I’ve been working my way back up…I’m being pretty patient and methodical…but sometimes I want to do extreme workouts. It really sucks when you’ve slowly been getting stronger for 3 months and then all of a sudden you hit a plateau ,…and then very soon after you start actually losing strength! All that hard work, all the protein, the disciplined eating, no drinking, the creatine supplements. Money, time, and very hard physical effort…feels like so much work for so little gain …But I gotta say, I do really enjoy it until I get to the point of overtraining, which inevitably comes every 2 or 3 months …At that point I have to lessen the loads, duration and intensity of my workouts, or else I end up in BIG trouble (depression, insomnia, extreme exhaustion, etc).

1 Like

It’s none of my business, but what the heck. What kinda music are you going to use your new talent with?

Paul

1 Like

a killer long term method is “3 hard weeks then an easy week”. Push nice and hard for 3 weeks, within reason of course, then make the 4th week less volume and less intensity. Good solid gains that way

omg, blast from the past me looking at these articles. I used to live this stuff lol

1 Like

He wants to play Heavy Metal Hillbilly music. He’s got the banjo and the chewing tobacco. Now all he needs is a good hound dog. Yeehaa!

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for that article. :+1:

I’ve often read articles on that site but for some reason I’ve never seen one before.

1 Like

Need to get my mixer fixed and running again. Also need to get a website built for the studio.

1 Like