What are your favourite effects plug-ins?

I’m playing around with different sounds again - wanting to twist, manipulate them and just generally mess about. Was looking through my collection of tools and realised that my ‘go-to’ favourite is actually still Guitar Rig 4 for effects, distortion etc…
It has a great range of funky options but I’m looking for more choices and maybe less power-hungry beasts.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I’m curious about this too! :slight_smile:

I have the Soundtoys suite - I have been using them quite a bit.

2 Likes

Still my all-time favorite delay. I seriously wish I could make a pedal version of that!

Is that this system? Effect Rack - Soundtoys

Looks really cool but pricey…

1 Like

Yes that’s the one. I started off buying the occasional ST plugin when it was a ridiculously cheap deal (like $29 special). I ended up with 3 or 4, and then ST sent me an upgrade enticement that took into account the plugins I already owned. I can’t remember how much I paid for the whole suite but it was hundreds of dollars less than that.

1 Like

I have so many lovely plugins, but I can’t get over the Kuassa Amplifikation 360 plugin. I actually own all the individual amps and pedals (there’s a lot!), which I have bought over the years in various sales and Black Fridays. The way that you can put together amps and pedals is just amazing. My favourite part of the plugin is that although everything is editable, they’ve managed to keep it simple and straight forward to use and modify. Highly recommended for the guitarists amongst us!

2 Likes

Once again I seem to have a zero budget for gear but a great ‘need’ to buy more stuff… oops. Am going to re-visit what I have, there is a stack of stuff sitting there that I simply don’t use but might have magical powers waiting for me to tap in…
Unfortunately I have to pack up my studio for several months as builders are coming in to do re-constructions so time is closing in on me. I can still research and plot and plan though…

Just curious here, it seems a lot of plugins are just repackaging basic functions like eq and distortion et al. And a lot of DAWS have some pretty cool functions included, I know Reaper does AND there is a lot of free stuff out there as well, of course you have to be careful to be safe with downloading that stuff.

But I’m just wondering if you can’t do what want using simple tools? What DAW are you using?

1 Like

That’s exactly what’s been going through my mind… just a realisation that there is a huge array of tools, it’s a timely thing to re-visit what I do have. I’m still on Cubase 6 and do have a bunch of plugins and synths that I have never fully utilised. Even reversing the audio is a trick I’d forgotten about and used to enjoy. For me, it’s a stepping back and looking at what I’ve been doing for years, largely without too much thought to be honest - I have fallen into patterns and am seeking to challenge myself again.

It looks like Cubase 6 comes with Halion Sonic SE which is a ‘lite’ version but still has a pretty good library of patches, do you use midi?

I find all the inbuilt Cubase thingies (incl Halion), quite limited but I have quite a cool selection of other libraries - kontakt, omnisphere, superior- a heap of various synths and sundry bits and bobs, I just found myself not experimenting much anymore… I used to do a lot. I think I’ve become creatively lazy! I’m questioning the shape and colour of what I do and my self-imposed limitations. Just all part of the journey I guess. And absolutely YES for midi in all shapes and sizes!

1 Like

I sure hope you stick around while that’s happening! Are you getting some new studio space with the remodel?

1 Like

I’ve had to concede some building ‘improvements’ that include a couple of extra windows in my studio which I can admire aesthetically but am cursing sonically!!
Will be looking at ‘proper’ cladding for the walls and some movable screens. It will be very nice but my dark cave was a comfortable lair! :sunglasses:

The scary thing is questioning how to set everything up again and will the old computer still fire up. But am taking the opportunity of getting a dodgy monitor checked out which will be great.

I bought a TC Electronics Sub Up mini pedal on sale for $79.00 a while ago. It gives you an octave up and down, and you can upload patches that add other layers of mangling.
I used it to emulate a growling Hammond B3 by adding a chorus and got a reasonable Jon Lord sound out of it.
The patches do all kinds of strange things, and for me it is great to have an on off switch to do quick noises without having to program automation. It would mangle a voice dramatically, and it tracks well.
It doesn’t have a battery compartment so you’ll need a 9v power supply.

1 Like