Trying for quirky/odd/out there?

I started with a few different chords. Tried a wah wah pedal on my bass for the first time. Did the vox with no reverb. Tried to think childlike. A very skeletal start. ha ha

bash friends

I dig the whimsy here Paul… very lighthearted. Reminds me of myself when I was a kid and absolutely terrified to tell a girl I liked her… I was the dorkiest kid in existence.

Main comment is to get those vocals more up front. They’re hard to pick out from the instruments, making the lyrics a bit challenging to hear properly.

I think the wah-wah on the bass fits with the whimsical vibe, but the bass is a bit too prominent with respect to the other instruments, so I’d back it off a little bit.

Sounding good!

1 Like

A cute vibe you have here, Paul - very evocative of the scenario being described.

Mix wise I’m listening on unfamiliar headphones, so I can’t really judge things too well. Nonetheless, I would agree with Dave, that the vocals need more level.

The Wah bass is a cool and different idea. I’ve heard it work in other songs, but I think it might need some clever parallel processing to maintain consistency in the mix.

This track has a Wah-ish bass in the bridge (starting from 2:33). Not sure if it is exactly a Wah per se, but it is definitely some kind of envelope filter- in any case, it works really well in this context:

2 Likes

Kinda like Sussudio, not musically, just the writing about young love and being nervous. I like it very much, Paul. Whimsical. You have achieved your goal. I think it’s a little dry, and throw some more reverb on the vocals (longer hall) and the snare (early reflection).

1 Like

I like the dry vocals. It sounds like you’re singing very quietly, but close to the mic, which produces an intimate vibe. It’s like you’re whispering in my ear. Having said that, I still found it hard to hear the lyrics, though it did seem that your vocals got louder and clearer near the end of the song…Not sure if my ears and brain started to adjust, and that’s the reason that I was able to hear them better near the end.

Keep up the good work Paul!

1 Like

I think this works well as you have it here. Everything you have fits and is appropriate except for the ending of course.

I could here some jug band stuff here, jaw harp, banjo, harmonica, fiddle, wash-tub bass, maybe even a . . . . kazoo!?

1 Like

Hi guy Yes I should have listened better on those levels. Just thought I would get it out there and maybe get some ears on it. It’s funny because i thought the vocal was too loud. It might be an age thing, but just recently I have been having trouble hearing vocals in general. it was fun with the wah and bass ha ha. I’ll cut that a bit:)
Strange lil track indeed

Thanks bud

Paul

You’re a creative genius, Paul. I hope you get that song about road rage done, it is perfecto so far.

1 Like

Oh yeah, it sounds pretty good in this song example. Unfortunately mine isn’t that good. ha ha I played the wah because for some reason the bass sounded different as i recorded. I looked over and the light was on the wah…I must have bumped it. So, I though maybe i should try it. Some kinda sign? I remember being shy with girls, so i put this together. Of course that would be back in 1964 Tee hee Peace to you

Paul

Hi Mr Jive I haven’t ever heard a reverb I liked. There is one in studio one called cathedral. I usually use that one, but it is preset at 20% I turn it down to 10. Some of the reverbs i have heard on the forum are great. I don’t know what they use?? thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Paul

Yes, I am working on road rage as well. I was down to the pawn shop today looking for a pedal for distortion. I forgot my boss back home because of a hasty departure. I contacted sweetwater today asking for help picking one out. I’m glad you like that start

Paul

Valhalla room is my go to if you like my mixes. Little Plate used to be free, it’s pretty good. Try the verb! I don’t think it’s too dry though. I love you.

1 Like

How heavy do you want it distortion-wise? I know some pedals that are cost effective but still badass.

Hi wicked I think my problem with vocals is that i am familiar with the lyrics and don’t take the time to listen to see it they are in fact coming thru clearly. i do find quieter notes from time to time. I break the track and increase those a few db. I don’t know if that is proper. Seems when i increase the reverb on the vocals, everything gets messy. ha ha Thanks for listening and yes i will increase those where needed

Paul

1 Like

This one is only $50.

In fact, check out Tone City to find a one you like. They’re all really cheap mini-pedals to use while you’re down there without breaking the bank. They also sound pretty damn good.

I love the Golden Plexi, it’s super powerful.

1 Like

Yeah, those are some great ideas. I am on vacation with only one guitar, but I could start buying some extra accessories Back to the pawn shop ha ha thanks ingolee

Paul

Ok, Ian at sweetwater just sent me this. I don’t want to pay $700 tho

Eventide H9 Max Multi-effects Pedal

All these pedals are about $40 each. I recommend Bad Horse for Blues color, and Golden Plexi for rock. I’d buy the Plexi, it’s very warm and chunky. Yum. Of course, this is stuff for the trip that won’t break the bank.

1 Like

Yeah, I have to take some time listening on this one:)

A bit Beatles and Small faces ,pretty cool

1 Like