Tryin to beat the hangman..done..thanks to all

So good to share in a simple creation. thanks you guys

Tryin to beat the hangman

I don’t wanna die I am gonna fight…I’m tryin just to make it through the night

Lately I’ve been struggling…and feeling awful sick Dm
Exhausted all my remedies…they did not do the trick.

I’m trying to beat the hangman, but the rope is sinchin tighter n tighter Bb C Dm
Trying to beat the hangman, Trying just to make it through the night

I don’t wanna die in this bed tonight…I know he’s here I feel this awful fright

I feel him sitting on my chest… smiling …tellin me to get get some rest

I feel saddened… I fell helpless… I feel angry too

Don’t think that…you’re immuned…cuz It will come for you

I did my best to battle it, but the fight has worn me down Dm
I hope you will remember me… if I don’t come around

2 Likes

This is really nice. It has a moody, folky vibe. It feels different from your usual style. Maybe add a chorus to this to give it a bit more but I think you have yourself a very good piece with what you have so far. Good stuff, Paul !

Hey Mr W. Yeah, i have a few chords in there ready for a chorus, but I just can’t get the feel of this yet. I go to the studio and if something doesn’t pop in the first few minutes, I go back downstairs and listen to gunsmoke. ha ha thanks for you two cents

1 Like

Lately I’ve been struggling, and feeling kind of sick.
I’m trying all my remedies, but they just don’t do the trick.
Trying to battle through it, but the fight has worn me down,
I hope you will remember me if you don’t see me around.
I’m trying to beat the hangman, but the rope is feeling tight
Trying to beat the hangman,
Trying to make it through the night.

2 Likes

Ask for a vibe and get the lyrics too. SCORE Hi Bob Well there is no doubt now that this track start wreaks of a darker vibe. I think minor chords have that effect. I like it alot. Usually when I read lyrics i yawn within the first several lines. I am just wondering if you had this on file somewhere?? Good stuff
I had started again last night and scrapped the vibe/lyrics. It was about a young lad that couldn’t get any love from his father. This was the skeletal start. Scrapped. Yup dark…

D minor (8 year old boy)

I told you son you call me sir… you best not forget

Respect is sumthin ya better learn…I ain’t seen none from you yet

I don’t have a melody line yet, so now I can do both. Get those melody notes and have these lyrics fit in the chord sequence. Over and above Bob, but i do appreciate the interest/help/ royalty share

I gave it a few minutes this morning. I sang it like i am angry and that is wrong. I have to resing it like I a broken. Also is that the prechorus or the chorus, I don’t know. Might have to put a few fore lyrics in there to keep it from dragging. Also I might change it to a rock rasp instead of the acoustic. got lots of yardwork today, so i will hit this tonight.

Ok, I pulled what i did so far. Just wasn’t workin.

1 Like

I like the vibe Paul!
I associate it with Nick Cave (though obviously your voice is on the opposite spectrum from his). A fiddle would be great to accompany the vocal (if you know someone who could do that for you).
There’s definetly a darker side to the song as Bob’s hangman lyrics make obvious :skull_and_crossbones: :slight_smile:
So I like the idea of a Corrona song and the fear of surviving it. It sounds like you’re on the up though if you’re working all day in the yard!

1 Like

Good to hear you’re on the mend, Paul. This is very promising…some great input so far too - carry on!

1 Like

He Evert Kinda stumped with the song. It will take some time for sure. Yes i am at about 66.785 percent myself again. I had two large dead trees leaning toward the power lines that had to come down. Had the dozer, block and tackle, and a 100 foot i/2 inch cable to do the pulling. Hardest part was to get up 20 feet to affix a choker and then the cable. Next the chainsaw, a wedge, and a 12 pound maul. Nerve racking for sure. I bet the power company would have done it. Pooped me out big time. I worked 10 min and rested 5. The trees pulled easily with that leverage and a dozer. Normal maintenance on thes 40 acres. Take care ole friend…don’t get the covid

1 Like

Hey Andy. Not so sure about this track, but time will tell. I was wondering if you have any new songs in your mind? Seems like the older we get, it is harder to create than to tweak. ha ha best to you

I find the older I get, the more song ideas and musical ideas I get. The tweaking and refining is the tedious part and laborious part for me. Having a continuous volume of ideas is kind of a good problem to have but it can be overwhelming if you have so many song ideas that you’re jumping from one song to the next trying to organize, arrange and document/ record your songs.

1 Like

Hi Mr W I thought a year ago I was all done dancin…well creating songs that is. I just wish there were more here that still produced new songs. It makes it fun for me to hear new stuff. After I finish this one, I am going to get modern…ha ha

1 Like

Just kind of popped into my head after hearing the chords and reading that you had been sick. Sometimes it happens that way. I like being spontaneous when it hits me like that.

1 Like

Yeah the hangman was genius, I finally got most of the lyrics in place now. I changed it slightly to avoid using the word trying too often:)
original

Lately I’ve been struggling, and feeling kind of sick.
I’m trying all my remedies, but they just don’t do the trick.
Trying to battle through it, but the fight has worn me down,
I hope you will remember me if you don’t see me around.
I’m trying to beat the hangman, but the rope is feeling tight
Trying to beat the hangman,
Trying to make it through the night.

change

Exhausted all my remedies…they didn’t do the trick.

I’m trying to beat the hangman, but the rope is sinchin tighter n tighter Bb C Dm

Did my best to battle it, but the fight has worn me down Dm

F C Bb C F C F C Bb C Dm temp chorus

It’s getting late my bodies weak I’m hangin by a thread don’t even wanna speak

I’m slinking down into my bed…got this fear…the mornings gonna find me dead

I call it D minor so far

I’d call it “Life and Death”. The song name, that is. Pretty profound story and title, if you choose to use that title. There seem to be elements of Celtic music and Medieval/60’s Blues. Just a guess. :wink:

I really like how the acoustic guitars sound, and the flourishes in there. The drums are pretty basic, but I didn’t really notice at first. They seemed to work for the sparse arrangement. The side-stick works nicely with the kick.

You’ve been posting pretty regularly, so my sense is you’re going to make it. :cowboy_hat_face: I always like to say “Life is risky. I’ll tell you how risky it is; we’re not getting out alive.” :exploding_head: Mortal life is merely a day at the amusement park, if you’re spiritually inclined to think there is more than what meets our eyes.

Amusement parks have Creepy Clowns, so they’re kind of cool that way. :partying_face:

I may be inclined to come up with a nickname for you, I hope you don’t mind. “The Comeback Kid”, “Pauly, The Covid Slayer”, “Old Ironsides”, something like that. I was enjoying “Let’s go Brandon” on the news, but even that’s getting old. :smirk:

1 Like

STM
Yup Life and death gets one’s attention for sure. Medieval blues…who knew…sept you?

Drums are lame, but so easy to enhance or replace. Usually the last thing I do. I find a four count and keep hitting control d to duplicate thre minutes worth. I don’t really like click tracks they git to me

I am def on the mend. Knocked down and cut up a 20 inch dead maple today. Pooped me a bit, but will split it up tomorrow. I got that monoclonal antibody treatment. My doc said i had too because of my ify heart. Felt the difference in 24 hours. amazing

“Pauly, The Covid Slayer”, “Old Ironsides” ha ha…both work for me. Last person who called me Pauly was our lead singer last summer. He was loaded and wanted to keep playing way past my bedtime. He said “Pauly, yur just not fun anymore” ha ha He was also a former student. I gave guitar lessons on my lunch hour in highschool. I love the way you think. Would be a riot to have a few beers with you

1 Like

Ha, another nickname, “Paul Bunyan”. :grin: Reminds me of Monty Python “I’m a Lumberjack and I’m okay”. I need to do a little tree surgery myself, but only tried out my old machete with a recently sharpened blade on the bamboo. You put me to shame, sir.

Science in the right hands can do amazing things. Science in the wrong hands … well, we’ve seen that as well. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

T’would be a fanciful meeting indeed. Maybe when you come south for the winter. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve always got songs.

1 Like

I would like to hear some partials or starts you might have abandoned :slight_smile:

I finished this tune and really couldn’t come up with a chorus that didn’t wreck the helpless vibe. Weird start and finish. Tradition for me is to be way out there.

I don’t wanna die I am gonna fight…I’m tryin just to make it through the night

Exhausted all my remedies…they did not do the trick.

I don’t wanna die in this bed tonight…I know he’s here I feel this awful fright

I feel him sitting on my chest… smiling …tellin me to get get some rest

I did my best to battle it, but the fight has worn me down Dm

2 Likes

Cool sonic journey, Paul! I really like this experimental side of you. There’s a chilling quality to this that I find really compelling. I especially love how you use your voice as various instruments to build a soundscape and a mood. This is great - kudos!

1 Like

Hi Andy. I didn’t want to totally give up on it. I did that intro completely off to the side and then thought maybe it could be used at the intro. It’s funny when you think yo have everything close to put in on a shelf. Then you listen again and think…those two vocals in the intro should be placed on either side and how did you get them on only one side. Fact is I start using the tracks for different things and things get confusing. I have to start labeling tracks like “vox intro low” etc. Glad you liked the journey. It’s fun to just blurt things out and then later like them. Thanks for taking the time once again.

1 Like