Stan_Halen hopes his Two Bare Hands are clean! :-)

Yes, it’s not translating to small speakers very well. I thought it sounded okay on the studio monitors and headphones, but playing it back on computer speakers it does seem anemic. What are you guys listening on?

I’m listening on my ath-m50 headphones, which is what I use for mixing anyways. (Yeah I know mixing on headphones is “wrong” :roll_eyes: ) I can hear the kick, it just doesn’t have any low end impact that I can feel on my eardrums. All the lows are coming from the bass in your mix. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but I like to feel the lows from the kick a little bit.

1 Like

Yeah me too. I will give it another look.

I am listening on my monitors

1 Like

Yeah , both are bass light IMO. I like the second one better but it still needs a touch of FAT to bass and kick, if you like… add it with headphones if you aren’t sure how much to give it. And post it again.

edit: Adam A7 & AKG K271 II

1 Like

There is definitely nothing wrong with mixing on headphones,you carry on.Do yourself a favor tho and use something like this first on your master bus or after Sonarworks if you use it for your cans https://goodhertz.co/canopener-studio

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m trying to find time to work with it some more, hopefully later today.

That CanOpener plugin looks interesting. Do you know how long the demo works for and how functional it is? I’d like to try it before considering buying it.

Cool I’ll give that a try. I don’t use Sonarworks, although I did demo it once but I decided against it because I didn’t want to relearn my headphones.

The FAQ on their site says 15 days.

1 Like

Part of my challenge has been working with IK’s ARC room correction software for my monitors. I have had it for awhile, and while getting used to hearing everything two different ways (corrected and non-corrected) it has been frustrating to have a sense of what is what. I lost my subwoofer recently too (secondary monitoring system), so I think that’s all having some effect on this low end issue I’m having.

I guess I should just use the ARC all the time and trust that, but it’s a weird feeling to hand over your ears to an algorithm. :grimacing:

Thanks! I thought I looked over the page pretty good, but I missed that.

Sonarworks will just make your phones sound how they should and make your judgement more accurate while mixing.Can opener is worth every penny. I done this mix in phones with it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think whatever you do you just gotta do it consistently until your ears adjust and you know it really well.

I may give sonarworks another try sometime, especially if I ever need to switch headphones, but I’m finally at the point where when I take my mixes other places I’m not shocked by what I hear lol. So I’m a bit hesitant. I’m excited to try can opener though. That mix sounds great! I’m kinda thinking of giving that song a try as well.

2 Likes

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_morphit_v1.html is cheaper and just as good as sonarworks

1 Like

So Morphit or Sonarworks is supposed to make it sound more like a room with monitors, and then what does the CanOpener do? And you say you can use CanOpener along with one of those other products? For the crosstalk?

Has anybody tried Waves NX (or Nx)? I think it does something similar with emulating a room with monitors, but I haven’t got comfortable with it yet. It was the precursor to their Abbey Road 3 plugin they were pushing recently.

OK, the 3rd mix is uploaded in the OP, hopefully the kick and low end issue is okay now. Please let me know what you think.

The morpit makes your phones flatter, the can opener is like the waves abbey road plug that gives the cross talk room simulation.I tried the waves one and i found can opener just as good

1 Like

I am not sure. I feel like too much of the click on the kick now. maybe that is personal taste.

1 Like

OK, thanks! I need to work more with the Waves one I have to see what it can do. I got annoyed with the head-detection 3rd party software that would pop up with it. Not necessary, just an extra feature IIRC. But I’ll keep looking at these other options too.

Ha, I wondered if I went too “metal” with it. :slightly_smiling_face: I kind of like it though. I’ll sit with it, and consider mellowing it out a bit.

1 Like

have to agree with Redworks, the click is distracting.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think I pulled that back now. Version 4 is in the OP.

The kick is much better! The whole mix seems dark/murky though. Too much low mids I think.

1 Like