Stan_Halen hopes his Two Bare Hands are clean! :-)

Yeah, I think whatever you do you just gotta do it consistently until your ears adjust and you know it really well.

I may give sonarworks another try sometime, especially if I ever need to switch headphones, but I’m finally at the point where when I take my mixes other places I’m not shocked by what I hear lol. So I’m a bit hesitant. I’m excited to try can opener though. That mix sounds great! I’m kinda thinking of giving that song a try as well.

2 Likes

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_morphit_v1.html is cheaper and just as good as sonarworks

1 Like

So Morphit or Sonarworks is supposed to make it sound more like a room with monitors, and then what does the CanOpener do? And you say you can use CanOpener along with one of those other products? For the crosstalk?

Has anybody tried Waves NX (or Nx)? I think it does something similar with emulating a room with monitors, but I haven’t got comfortable with it yet. It was the precursor to their Abbey Road 3 plugin they were pushing recently.

OK, the 3rd mix is uploaded in the OP, hopefully the kick and low end issue is okay now. Please let me know what you think.

The morpit makes your phones flatter, the can opener is like the waves abbey road plug that gives the cross talk room simulation.I tried the waves one and i found can opener just as good

1 Like

I am not sure. I feel like too much of the click on the kick now. maybe that is personal taste.

1 Like

OK, thanks! I need to work more with the Waves one I have to see what it can do. I got annoyed with the head-detection 3rd party software that would pop up with it. Not necessary, just an extra feature IIRC. But I’ll keep looking at these other options too.

Ha, I wondered if I went too “metal” with it. :slightly_smiling_face: I kind of like it though. I’ll sit with it, and consider mellowing it out a bit.

1 Like

have to agree with Redworks, the click is distracting.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think I pulled that back now. Version 4 is in the OP.

The kick is much better! The whole mix seems dark/murky though. Too much low mids I think.

1 Like

Thanks!

After the kick was changed that had occurred to me. The clicky kick may have actually served a purpose to overcome that, though I do think the clicky kick was a bit too much. I tend to prefer the sound on the darker side, but I was mostly noticing it in the vocals. I will look at the whole spectrum and see what cutting some low mids will do.

1 Like

Version 5 now, see the OP. I got some low mids out of the way, I think it sounds better. Please let me know what you think.

First listen to v5.

I like the fullness but maybe it has a little tissue paper /towel over the top end now, on my monitors, I prefer the sweet top end of mix two, but with the low end fullness of mix five. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Vaughan! I guess my ears truly like ‘dark’, it keeps creeping back in. :slightly_smiling_face: I hear what you mean though (using mix two as a reference), so I ended up adding some high shelf above 10k. I think it’s more balanced now. I didn’t want to jack around too much as I hope the mix is close to finished, and I didn’t want to disturb the sibilance area at all. Opening up the top end there seems to have restored the sparkle.

First though, I used Master Match to see if I could ‘see’ the difference. It showed virtually none in the high end until about 13-14k where there was a bump on mix two, comparatively. That’s what suggested to me to just do a high shelf.

Version 6 is now in the OP. Any further thoughts would be appreciated. Hopefully it’s in pretty good shape now though.

Hey Stan,

I like v6 for sure thats a better balance… top and bottom

my own version is prob more pop, mix, wide, sparkly… in the top end - but not sure if that helps you any. I mixed it only on faders and pans, no fx or dynamics, I’m just freestylin until I like it enough…

1 Like

Ah, wonderful. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, from listening to yours and from how I noticed that my mix 6 ended up somewhere in between my mix 5 and mix 2 in the high end, I could maybe polish that top end just a bit more. We’ll see. I’m having to give my ears big breaks from this song after listening to mine and others godzillion times. :wink:

Oh, BTW, I was going to ask this and you might be a good person to ask since you do a lot of live stuff. I don’t know what that loud dude says at the end - something like “hey Troois” - but it bugs the crap out of me. I minimized it in my mix as much as possible. I guess my question is mostly why in the hell did he do that when they were recording this thing for posterity? The guy must have been quite close to a mic. I thought about trying to erase it with iZotope RX but didn’t bother.

I think that might have been Trevor (singer) saying thanks … but yeah, poor mic placement kills me… you gotta get away from them yet close enough/pointed in the right direction… always tricky.

PS. I didnt edit my room mics, they were all up loud the whole way thru…

1 Like

Early on I decided I wanted to cut that “Troois” blurb at the end out, and minimize the audience. It was challenging, but I think I brought it all down significantly without sounding weird. As long as you can hear the applause you know it’s a live show, I don’t savor hearing it near the same level as the music though. From what I can tell, I may have been the only one who went that route. Personal quirk I guess. :grin:

hah… my live mics save me, then kill me, lol … usually in mere seconds… all my drums sound great in the live mics, until someone speaks…

1 Like

I think he actually says ‘thanks very much’

its a bit like this one at 4:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMY5xe36cfE

everyone thinks he says mister blue sky (again)… but he actually says ‘please turn me over’ (referring to the last song on the vinyl record). :innocent:

1 Like