So after 2 days in commercial recording studio what I learned

So after 2 days in commercial recording studio what I learned
0.0 0

I might’ve mentioned that I’ve decided to sit out the engineering on my current band’s EP, or wanted another ear/hands on the console while playing.

Well…after 2 days at commercial studio rates I might’ve changed my mind :slight_smile:

Pros
The engineer was no slouch by any means. Cool dude, well versed, and a good pair of ears.
He definitely caught some mistakes I didn’t hear.
Better gear
Drum tuning / massive drum sound

Cons
Shortage of time
long drum sound setup - it was double what I usually take, 3 hrs for drum sound
Stressful situation - $90/hr and limited budget definitely gets you to be a little jittery
We ran out of time for bass, lead guitars

The drums took out longer to expected and kinda ate up the rest of session time. There are still some drum luls/lurches in tempo that I am not absolutely happy with. I was surprised that I enjoy working more on my own overdubbing leads that I am with someone punch record, actually having to communicate with someone also ate up time, as I know where my punch ins need to go :slight_smile:

It’s probably a little unusual for it to take that long to get a drum sound, especially if the engineer knew how many hours you had booked. Some studios won’t charge the full rate for setup time, but if it was a decent room it shouldn’t have taken the majority of your time/budget.

Takes you back to the old day, where you paid a lot to get into a studio at all, and watched the clock. You had to make decisions and move on unless you were really well funded. Hope you ended up with enough to work with. Were there particular problems with the drums? (Tuning, mic placement, performance)?

Assuming the drums were the studio set and already set up an hour is sufficient. Three hours is pretty indulgent and you should mention it to the studio owner. I’m glad the guy wasn’t my engineer.

my one time in the big studio pro place with the sons band lead me to think the whole thing only benefited by the Drum room and the Mixing room.

vocals+up close, bass=DI, guitar amps = up close…could have been done anywhere…

the mixing room was impressive and the gear was impressive…the price was going to be too much for the Mixing, the Tracking was worth it for the drums.

but the band found a dude who had a home studio that had better mixing/final product and could do the drums and a lot cheaper.

that place sold to someone new a few years back and was turned into a “school of audio and video” to bring in the majority of cash…I dont even know if its still open…I’d love to go to their closing sale though!! damn they had all the big name gear of the 70’s and 80’s…