Response to post by Wicked about time to complete a song [This is the Day]

This may not fit what Wicked was referring to because I consider my work ‘demo’ quality. That’s just where I am at in my musical journey…but if anyone is interested, read/listen on…

I write a song a week.

The only thing I could go back and redo would be the vocals because I am learning the song as I am writing it, so they could be strong weeks down the line.

Here is the song, and a break down of the process:

https://soundcloud.com/jamestoffee/2021-6-this-is-the-day-1

2021 6 This is the day
by James Conrad © 2021

Verse
Yesterday’s gone, gone
Vanished in the night
Waking up at dawn
Blinking satellite

Chorus
This is the day; this is the day
Open the doors all the way
Yeah, yeah, hay, hay hay
This is the day

Verse
Checking in to base
Sipping in the sky
Slipping off my boots
It’s good to be alive

Ch

Solo

Bridge
Sleeping alone; under the stars
So far away, I’m not afraid of ever coming home

Ch 2x

=====SONG PROCESS=====

Total time: 3 1/2 hours
Song of the week [from idea to recorded demo]

4:00 P.M.
pick a random hymn title
create Word document
2021 6 This is the day
by James Conrad © 2021

explore title for chorus
https://www.rhymezone.com/
‘day’
way pray

Initial chorus
Before it starts, I’m going to pray
I’m going to seek You in my work and play
This is the day

4:08 P.M.
Open DAW for rough vox & gtr
Reworked Ch

4:20 P.M.
Reworked Ch

4:34 P.M.
Looking for ‘carpe diem’ quotes to inspire verses
“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”
― Mother Theresa
“Set wide the window. Let me drink the day.”
― Edith Wharton, Artemis to Actaeon and Other Verses

CHORUS chords D Am7 C G…look for contrast

VERSE Em Bm A G

BRIDGE Bm D A Em

4:50 P.M.
Working on verse
The song idea becomes “What would a ‘day’ be like for an astronaut, when on earth, we have a fixed idea of what a ‘day’ is?”

5:05 P.M.
Reworking ch and vs

“…Sleep out alone under the stars…Go so far away that you stop being afraid of not coming back."
― Eve Ensler

Bridge
Sleeping in solitude; out alone under the stars

5:25 P.M.
Lyrics and melody done
Open Band-in-a-Box 2021

5:45 P.M.
Chords input; next working on arrangement

6:00 P.M.
Finalizing arrangement

6:15 P.M.
Tracks loaded in DAW and plugins ready

{BREAK FOR DINNER}

6:45 P.M.
Record vocal

7:00 P.M.
Start mix down

8:10 P.M.
Making an mp3 to email for feedback

8:15 P.M.
Song emailed for critique

3 Likes

Yeah, I find I have a similar experience usually. When I first write the song I can be a little hesitant or unsure of what style/ texture/ attitude that I want for my voice so my vocals usually improve a lot after I’m more familiar with what I wrote. It’s almost as if I have to learn my own song…Actually, that is exactly what it is!

I listened to your song in the link you posted. I like when the vocal harmony kicks in on the chorus at 1:34. The harmony works really well and gives the chorus a good feel. I would try to get the vocals to sit better in the mix. They sound a little too separated from the music, especially in the verse. I wonder if a little delay or reverb and reducing their volume would help them sit a bit better.

I realize this is a demo but I can hear lots of timing issues in the recording and it distracts and detracts from the listenability of the song. Nothing wrong with mild timing issues but when they’re too noticeable the song can really suffer.

As you said, you will likely be able to sing this better after you’ve rehearsed it for awhile. Just pay attention to your pitch and your timing if you decide to re-record your vocal again.

The solo sounded kind of cool. Something I liked about it. Maybe it was the phrasing.

It’s good to write regularly. There’s no better way to improve than to practice writing. Your performances on your recordings will also improve. It is really important to listen to the details of your performances so that you can really understand what is working and what is not.

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Thanks for the listen and feedback, Wicked.

Having the vocals sit in the mix is a challenge for me. I’ll keep your critiques in mind as I continue to strive for improvement in timing and pitch as well.

Cheers!

James

1 Like