Opinions on the remix and remaster

I purchased a Private Song Review in the Drooble Community for a new release at the time.

My reviewer wrote:
May 2nd 2018

The song is groovy right from the start. But it seems that the mastering of the vocals is little bit mashed up, maybe that’s an effect you are searching for.
We love the brass section but it is quite loud in the mix. The guitars are pretty low. We also can’t hear any bass. We really like the bridge and the unpredictability of the track. But it seems that one of the voices is a little out of tune on some moments.
We would also add a little reverb on the brass, just to bring it more into the atmosphere of the song. Right now, the listener can hardly observe the elements of the song, because the brass is so distracting and edgy.
All in all, the tune is catchy and sounds perfect for a demo recording, but there’s a lot of space for improvement. The main problems are in the mix/master.
Drums: ​8/10 Bass: ​7/10 Vocals: ​6/10 Guitar: ​6/10 Mix&Mastering: ​5/10

I did what I thought was right. Did I?

Dribbles © Devyn Anthony 2018

Yeah it’s that time and I seem to be running late
And I don’t know why or if even I am awake
I won’t make it on time I seem to be having one of those days
And I think I left my keys in the lock on my front gate
I don’t know what’s up next in line I seem to attract bad luck today
Don’t expect me for yet awhile someone just dialed 911 on me

And I don’t know and I don’t know and I don’t know why

I don’t think that today I’ll come there’s just too much that’s held me up
Like this cop here who thinks I’m lying I think I might be just outta luck and time

Oh what will happen next I’m sure I will want to forget
I think I am now arrested I hope I’m asleep or I’m dead

I know I shouldn’t have got out of bed it wasn’t worth it no
I know I shouldn’t have got out of bed but I did it so
Please come and bail me out of this crap I don’t know what went wrong
I should have stayed in bed with that nap I denied myself from

So the caller of 911 well she couldn’t pick me out so
I’m going to find myself a drink and have a blast with 420
Come and join me if you will I’m sure I’ll be there quite awhile
And by the way bring some cash I’ll be low by when you get here

I know I shouldn’t have got out of bed it wasn’t worth it no
I know I shouldn’t have got out of bed but I did it so
Please come and save me before I do crash don’t want no more wrong
I should have stayed in bed with that nap I denied myself from

Hi Anthony.

For starters, I agree with some of your reviewer’s comments and disagree on others. The bass for instance, was where it should have been in my opinion and I don’t understand why he “couldn’t hear any bass at all”. The brass section is too loud at times, but not necessary all the time.

Also in my opinion there might be another issue which is more difficult to address than just a “fix in the mix”: the drums sound really cheap and the hi-hat and cymbal sound fake. Maybe that is intentional but I feel it doesn’t serve the song very well. The same can be said about the brass sounds, to a lesser extent.

In your revised mix I think the bass is now too loud, but the brass have been tamed adequately. The vocals still sound a little messy, have you considered using just a single vocal track on the verses and keeping this multi-layered vocal arrangement for the choruses?

1 Like

You might help spread the word that we don’t charge for reviews here!

Considering that you paid for that service, you were given very little in the way of helpful information. Hopefully they didn’t charge much! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Following up on my post… I’m not saying that they gave bad advise. I just meant that given that it was a paid service, I would expect some much more precise info given (it trouble areas in the freq. spectrum, etc). That’s my 2 cents. Regarding the song. I’m at work so I haven’t had a chance to check it out on good speakers. I’ll try to tonight :slight_smile:

On this community platform, our involvement is awarded a thing called Karma which is accumulated until one can purchase an item of promotion.
It really didn’t cost anything except to the community that has gotten somewhat used to my endless babbling, lol.
It is a good community but the artists seem to fear giving constructive criticism in the form of a seemingly negative review.
It is what I love in this place… No punches pulled! How can one develop without this kind of bare buckle boxing, lol
I admit though, I can sort of speak the language here, but, I don’t always understand what is said. I have only been a recording artist since 2015 due to technology becoming available to me and the mastering program I use, I only installed in January of this year, so, technically speaking, I am catching on but slowly I guess.

Just keep in mind, there are NO dumb questions here. Feel free to ask ANYTHING :wink:
We love helping people over those initial hurdles

The karma thing was something I had tried to tackle early on with this site. The software didn’t really offer much in that regard, but it does have the “like” functionality, so that’s a start.

Thank you Lophophora, this is a perfect review.
I shall be honest… for the lack of experience using the gear and programs I own, in the beginning I fell into a trap of being lazy with my vocals. Doubling and sometimes tripling the use of individually recorded tracks to fill the voice out. I have been trying to ween myself off of that practice.

Many times, I will use this sort of tactic on other instruments to try and completely change its sound as my library is limited of the virtual instruments I’ve used. I know I should just get add ons or plug ins but, ATM, memory is limited due to my growing catalogue of songs. As well, unfortunately due to circumstances, have to only use what I can for free in that regard.

Thanks so much again!

Lol. I’ve been holding back. Didn’t want y’all running for the hills now that I’m in town, lol

How do I insert portions of conversations into my replies?

We don’t scare that easily :wink:

If you highlight any part of someone’s post or reply, you SHOULD get a popup above the highlighted test that says "quote. just click on that and it’ll paste it right into your reply, or start the reply for you. Works great!

Also, here’s the thread that covers all kinds of tricks we’ve learned about this forum software :slight_smile: