Official Mix Why Wait (St. Anger Version)

If you listen carefully to the snare, it is obvious that the entire track is out of sync, delayed a few milliseconds. There are a few reasons why this can occur. The following is a list of examples that may have been the case in the above recording.

1. When the wave files were first brought into the session, the mix engineer forgot to check sync, slide files to correct any sync problems, and then lock every track down.

2. The CPU is too slow to process all those snare plugins without creating an obvious out of sync condition. Some of the more expensive DAW have plugins processed on an independent rack mount device. Waves have what’s called the DigiGrid system, and this reduces the plugin delay issues. Universal Audio has a little black box that manages the processing, and it too reduces plugin delay issues.

3. This next point has more to do with the reality of managing this delay issue. It can be an extremely frustrating thing to attempt the sliding back of a snare track only to discover that many of the drummer’s hits are not quite right. Ok, so things groove really nice in the verse, but when you get to some other part of the song, the snare has a few late hits. Editing corrections for poor drumming skills can be extremely time consuming. I make this last point because that is exactly what I hear in this drummer’s performance. Anyway, hope this was educational for some.

There’s also a 4th reason: the mixer did it for fun!

3 Likes

What! <------I actually said that loud…

… you’re kidding right?

Listen again, read the title, and the whole thread again and come to your own conclusion :wink:

3 Likes

He makes mention of a Metalica drum recording method. I don’t hear any out of sync snare on the Metalica recording. This is the track he was referencing: [quote=“Tim, post:21, topic:495”]

[/quote]

Want to be even more annoying and tasteless? - Why not “go for gold” and do a “Portishead Numb” remix?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlr_E1Xy2I

3 Likes

Oooh! That one snare won the price. Great find! :grimacing:

2 Likes

I heard this on the radio the other day and I thought: “Man, I know how much Pat LOVES super-ringy snares - Pat would LOVE this!!!” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Just remember, this song was an international hit! :scream:
…so, inspiration for your next snare sound perhaps, Mr Talbot? :yum:

Definitely! :joy:

No, the out of sync drums are completely intentional. Listen to Metallica’s Big Four shows, it’s a combination type of parody. At the Big Four shows, it’s obvious that his drumming is super out of time. At 2:25 there is an artificial tempo change completely for fun and there are various speedups at some points, as well as the snare hits being totally off. Everything bad has been accounted for, and was completely intentional. It’s meant to be exaggerated for comedic effect. I’m glad you guys are being so thorough with the feedback, but after listening to the backing vocals I think it’s funny that anything in this mix could be judged seriously. Keep doing your thing.

Cheers,
Doubletrackinjive

1 Like

Man, the final “ty” of personality worth the whole song.
Sounds like a Horn, but…

1 Like

I can just see the high school garage band recording this into a cassette boom box, with the backup singers running up to scream right into the built-in microphones and the drummer beating on a metal toolbox instead of a snare. Very evocative! Almost makes me miss my crap-band days. Almost :slight_smile:

1 Like

So what compressor did you use on the 2 Buss? And was that 1.01Db of compression or 1.02Db?
:smile:

1 Like

1.01. I believed that I should let the true dynamics of this mix shine through!

2 Likes

Glad to know that I could evoke such an emotion with such a handsome sounding mix.

1 Like

If the meter doesn’t jump around 15 db it ain’t compressing!

The DR value of this version of the song is 4 dB.

Statistics for: 01. Why Wait.wav
Number of Samples: 9398239

left              right

Peak value: over — over
Avg RMS: -5.11 dB — -5.63 dB
DR channel: 4.24 dB — 4.51 dB

Official DR value: DR4

Those dynamics!

Does this sound more like boombox recording?

1 Like

Snare feels a bit delayed. Now it ruins the groove.
Check the alignment.

As stated above, it was done intentionally to mimic Lars Ulrich’s inability to keep proper time. Good ear though.

Cheers,
Doubletrackinjive