New synth song to review as of April 22nd! Will return the favor

I put a new song in my music website called “You’re Doing Good”. Please tell me how you like the song and how it can be improved, and I can return the favor if you wish (leave me a link). I am fine with constructive criticism, but saying “everything” about the song sucks won’t teach me anything. Tell me HOW to improve please. The song is at the top of this link:

1 Like

What was going on with the upload? Most folks don’t have any issues, so that was a bit surprising to hear. I’m happy to check it out for you!

Thank you for replying! Sorry if I appear grumpy. This was from a month ago. Here is a link to my previous frustration:

It’s kind of a strange quirk, but if you upload a song and don’t have a space before and after the link, it won’t show the player. It’s simple once you understand what the issue is. Just put the link on its own line and it works every time.

1 Like

bozmillar and holster,
OK, once again you guys talked me into uploading the mp3 to the thread. This time it worked correctly the first time. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Aaron,
That sounds a lot like the 80’s are here again. I was never a big fan of that era (even though I was quite active as a musician at the time), I guess I just don’t like synths all that much (even though I use them now and then). But this is a pretty good take on music from that time. I like the way the rythm of all the synth parts work together to make a groove that gets your head bobbing. I’m not sure I like the way you use reverb on the vocal. It’s obviously intentional, but it makes your voice (I’m guessing it’s your voice) rather harsh. Using an eq to filter off the high end might make it a little bit more natural. Are you using predelay on the verb? That might help to get your voice more upfront. Or maybe a short delay instead of the reverb? Are you doubling your vocal track at all? It could also be some sort of comb filtering effect caused by the the copies of your vocal. Maybe the fase switch could help you out?
I’m just guessing of course. There’s much more expierienced people here, maybe they have some ideas?

I like the way the song ends. Had to listen twice to make my mind up about that one, but I do.

The drums are OK, but could sound bigger. If you want more of the the 80’s effect try the gated reverb trick on the snare (you can find vids on how to do it on the web). But a bit more compression on the drum bus might also help.

Well, that’s my 2 cents.
I’ve just uploaded a new version of Äll mine"last night by the way :slight_smile:

I like this Aaron, I’m a sucker for the '80’s thing and I think you have the good flavors of it here. I think your voice works well for this style (Cars, Talking Heads?) and the synths are great.

There is something more that you can do to the vocals and I can’t say exactly what it is. There are so many ‘tricks’ that have been done and talked about and I don’t really follow all of that but I’m just hearing something else that I think would help here, I think you’ll probably know it when you hear it too if you’d like to do some experimenting? If not this is good work!

Aef,
Thank you for the review! No reverb on the vocals, just stereo delay. My vocal effects have been controversial for eons. I have “pseudo-double-tracked” vocals: one track is not pitch corrected, and a copy of that track is pitch-corrected and moved forward in time about 0.030 seconds. I am not aware of my Cubase AI8 having a phase switch. Drums do have some gated reverb currently. I will now seek out your music.

Ingolee,
Thank you for your review! The Cars and the Talking Heads are 2 of my favorites, so I will take that as a compliment. I will now seek out your music.