Mix by Skiman82

Hello there! Mixing in Headphones, so… I have no idea how does it sounds on Studio monitors or good Speakers, feel free to leave some feedback here =)

0 voters

Good to have you on board. you have got the drums going nicely, i think that you could push the low end of the bass harder and balanced off the frequency spectrum with that while allowing the bass to shine a little more. I also find that the vocals sound a little phasey. Other than that good stuff.

K, thanks for advice. Will do such changes. Just afraid of too big Bass sound.
P.S.: How to add more “Balls” for vocals?

Yeah i hear you i am struggling with that on this mix at this point.

I am trying by adding in a little distortion.

Did similar via Phone effect here

1 Like

Hi Skiman good work overall!
In my opinion I would look into the following things.
The mix is a bit thin so like redworks suggested, I would raise the bass a bit.
I would use the phone effect on the vocals on only some parts and not throughout the whole song. It loses its magic if you hear it all the time.
Finally I would raise the lead guitar and the acoustic gtr parts on the 2nd verse.

Good luck!

good work mate…
great guitar overall… lead guitar need more raise
The mix is a bit thin… I would raise the kick and bass to give more weight to the mix.
and the phone effect only on certain parts of the song.

Hum… drums sounds smashed beyond recognition.
Lots of fizz/high end. The whole mix sounds like it’s been sent to a reverb that is smudging everything.
I’m bashing on PC speakers right now but I know them well, and everything sound remote, why?
Maybe it sounds better on headphones, but it seems that you went overboard with 2-bus processing all around. Too bad.

1 Like

Hey Andrey - it’s a very tricky task to try to mix on headphones. The mids and high frequencies in the mix sound quite good, and I like some of the sounds you have achieved…

However, it seems like your headphones might be bass heavy, because your mix rolls off abruptly below about 100hz as you can see from this screenshot of a frequency analyser on your mix:

It stands to reason that if you are hearing too much bass in your headphones, you’ll tend to putting too little in your mix.

By way of comparison, check out how this professional mix of a similar type of song looks like in the low end:

The first port of call is to use a reference mix to compare how a professional mix sounds in your headphones versus your mix. That will give you a basis from which to make decisions. Since the pro mix will be mastered loud, turn it down to roughly match the volume of your mix.

If you only have access to headphones for your mixes, I would suggest using a frequency analyser (Span is free from Voxengo) to help you understand what is happening in the low end. It’s far from ideal, but it may help a little until you are able to get monitors or better headphones. Also, make sure you try out your mix on different stereo systems if you can. If you have access to a car stereo, they can be very helpful with understanding how the low end in your mix sounds.

3 Likes

Thanks for advice!

I agree with red works it is a bit thin and I would choose either the tuned vocals or the in tuned when you play them together they phase

1 Like

CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK ALERT: Methinks it sounds too compressed.

2 Likes

I use headphones as a check but most headphone lack in performance. There are quaity cans that are very accurate but they dond come cheep.

One thing i discovered yearscago it dosent mater what your using to monitor you have to train you ears to know how they really sound.

References are you best friend.

Goid job for a headphone mix

@ColdRoomStudio already gave you just about the best advice you could get, mixing with headphones is not impossible you just have to “learn them” by listening how commercially released tracks sound on them and then try to emulate that with your mix, in other words, don’t try to make it sound good on your headphones, try to make it sound as bad as similar professionally recorded songs sound on your headphones :slight_smile:

You should load a reference track on your DAW, in this case, @ColdRoomStudio’s mix of this song would be ideal, compare how it sounds to your song and try to find the same sort of balance with the instruments and post back here, I’m pretty sure you’ll be surprised by the results.

1 Like

Thanks for advice pal!

The phase problem in the vocals appeared to me when combinIng some tone correções traços with other. If you used the two lead vocal tracks this was the problem.try that.

1 Like

vocal treatment sounds cool but i wish if you have had treated the breaths.

The main thing I’m hearing is the compression is working hard! I can hear it working the whole time. That tends to make the whole mix sound small. I’d take care of that first and then address the other stuff in the comments above.
Have fun
rich

SOund is very suppress. If you can make those drums breath, the rest of the mix would come out naturally.

Very skinny mix. Vocals sound boxy. Nothing really stands out to make a positive comment on. Sorry, I’m trying to find something positive. Lesson learned should be to not mix on headphones or check your mix in your car before committing to a final mix. Those are my pointers for the future.