Macbook Pro M1 Report

Recently, my wonderful wife of 29 years gifted me a new Macbook Pro M1 and a UAD Twin X Quad Interface. After many years, my faithful Windows machine was starting to show its age, and was struggling with larger mix projects (100 + tracks).

Having researched the transitional nature of the new Mac Silicon architecture, and knowing I have 15+ years of software history on my current machine, I was prepared for some pain in the changeover. I had heard a lot of horror stories. As a backup strategy, I had even purchased a copy of Logic Pro X, and was prepared to start anew, should the transition prove impossible.

Was the plugin thing a pain? Yes, but really no more than setting up a new Windows machine (which I have done before). Iā€™m in the middle of an album project, so I need to make sure the mixes open on the new machine. Itā€™s fiddly and time consuming, but it is gradually happeningā€¦ Iā€™ve become very patient in my middle age!

The UA interface is not officially supported for Apple Silicon, but I got it to work without too much difficulty. It is pretty awesome, especially the real-time recording consoleā€¦

Oh, and BTW, Reaper works fantastically with it, and if I can install the plugin on the Mac, it works with Reaperā€¦ so thereā€™s that.

ā€¦But hereā€™s the thing, the M1 is absolutely blazingly powerful machine. For example:

ā€¦I had set up Reaper to request a buffer size of 32 samples to play some guitar through plugin amp emulations. I forgot I had done that, and opened a project that had 103 tracks and probably 250+ plugins on it, many of them very cpu hungry. Not surprisingly when it played, it was distorted and glitchy. I duly facepalmed myself and set the buffer size back to 256, and it played fineā€¦ and then I thought ā€œI wonderā€¦will this play at an even lower buffer rate?ā€ā€¦ so I cranked the buffer size down to 64 samplesā€¦ andā€¦ like magic, it played beautifully, cleanly without a gitch!

ā€¦Now keep in mind, this same project will only play at a buffer size of 2048 samples on my windows machine, and even then, sometimes it glitches!.. and that machine was no slouch by Windows standardsā€¦ it is an i7 with 16Gb of Ram.

I think that illustrates just how powerful the new machine is! Iā€™m really looking forward to being able to have full projects going, and adding a last minute overdub without having to jump through hoops to account for the high latency playback necessary on my old machine.

5 Likes

Nice one sounds great .I only have an i5 360 mgz cpu but i hardly ever get past 30 percent cpu for most of the stuff i do using any plugins i like .My older machine was also an i 5 with 16 gig of ram and now i only have 8 but never have any problems at all and it slaughters my old machine hands down for some reason so i really have no need to upgrade

1 Like

The cpu is far more important than ram.Some people seem to think you need loads of ram and you donā€™t necessarily .

250 plugins ha ha ,made me chuckle

Why is that? :thinking:

Sounds a bit extreme. Why donā€™t you just use bus group tracks

What sounds extreme? The mixes? Do they sound bad? Weā€™re talking about 103 tracks here - thatā€™s an average of 2.5 plugins a track. Some tracks have 5 or 6 plugins on them; many, many tracks have none.

I do - they only add to the track count.

Great that you have a machine you have confidence in-- thatā€™s key. My i5/16GB Windows machine has never broken a sweat at anything I do (rarely get above 25% system utilization), but I donā€™t have anywhere close to the number of tracks you do. I think the highest Iā€™ve ever had is thirty or so. Not an apples-to-apples comparison (yes, I went there)ā€¦

2 Likes

I can do 80 ish tracks with not any problem with plugins etc .Im not interested in doing anything bigger than that.

Youā€™re making me doubt my choices Andrew!
I had the choice to go down that route a few months ago, but decided against it expecting that I would have to ditch too many of my plugins switching to Mac. Maybe I should have waited just a bit longer judging by all the reports. I went for a very similar setup to Dave 's (I5 10th gen with 16 Gig RAM). Together with my new Quantum 2626 I can finally reach extremely low latencies. However a larger project I had up and running (about 70- 80 tracks, quite a lot of plugins) did glitch at 265 samples, so I doubt it performs as well as the M1.

Did you get the 8 Gig or 16 Gig version? One of the reasons for not chosing the M1 was the rediculous extra price for 16 Gig (about 400 euros I think). It just pisses me offā€¦ :unamused:

I love my M1 Mac mini works really well with Reaper and Logic. Pro Tools completely blocked it, I canā€™t even try it beta.

1 Like

I got the 16. At this point, I canā€™t penny pinch on a computer, I gotta make music. That is not a luxury everyone has, and I totally get needing to squeeze everything. For me itā€™s just that the computer is the necessary tool, and I know Iā€™ll always need another one, so I budget and put a few bucks away each month for the inevitable. Oh and insure it.

2 Likes

Sorry Evert, I just realized I forgot to reply to your postā€¦

By all reports, the M1 is a pretty amazing performer, but it doesnā€™t sound like youā€™ve mad a bad decision. I think youā€™ll get a good lifespan out of your new machine.

I went for the 16 gig versionā€¦ yeah it was pretty pricey, but I thought I might as well go the whole hog, so I wouldnā€™t regret it later.

Hey Kevin - Cool! Yeah, I just have Reaper and Logic as well. Both work faultlessly, as do all the plugins I have up and running.

I waited as long as I could before upgrading. It is a big step for me, because it is a totally new OS platform. Iā€™m hoping I get a decent life out of it.

As developers, weā€™ve been pleasantly surprised by the support and performance of the new machines. In our tests, the new M1 platform kicks serious butt, while Rosetta 2 can seamlessly provide emulation for the last group of plugā€“ins that arenā€™t UB2 yet.

Our EQs are the last holdout, all the rest are done. Weā€™re working on reā€“building their libraries for the ARM architecture, but whatā€™s crazy kewl is that those legacy plugs are our most complex and deep (thatā€™s why theyā€™ve taken the longest). Yet, they sail right on through Rosetta as if theyā€™re UB2ā€“native.

1 Like

Hey folks,

A quick note from my dev team. Some very ad hoc but interesting benchmarks for a complex process we are working on now. These are startā€“toā€“finish processing times:

1. Rosetta single-threaded: 29 seconds
  2. Rosetta dual-threaded: 16.5 seconds
  3. ARM native (either): 2.5 seconds

An order of magnitude faster on M1ā€¦crazy kewl.

1 Like

Hey there, sorry to arrive late to the party (Iā€™ve been out of the game lately) and post on an old thread but this caught my eyeā€¦

I have the twinX quad, and run a 2018 mac book pro and Logic. Iā€™ve been eyeing a new MBP M1 but Iā€™ve been a little hesitant for 2 reasonsā€¦

My current MBPā€™s fan runs all the time when I record, and since Iā€™m just a bedroom player with no studio, that is a big problem on my acoustic recordings! Hows your new M1 for the fan? I donā€™t want to shell out the cash if the new MBP is going to be loud again!!

How are the UAD plugs working for you? I donā€™t think they are officially certified to run on M1 yet right? Any problems?

Finally, how much RAM did you get? I figure Iā€™d probably buy the max RAM if I get it, just to be safeā€¦ any thoughts?

Thanks for your time and advice!!! Nice to be back here checking this place out again!

Hi Pirrie, welcome back - good to hear from you again!

Unless Iā€™m running projects with 100+ tracks at low latency, the fan doesnā€™t even turn on. The M1 architecture works very different to the earlier Intel Macs, and as a result, it runs much cooler. The M1 Mac Mini desktop machines donā€™t even have a fan, and the M1 MacBook Air doesnā€™t have a fan either.

I have not had any problems whatsoever. Youā€™re right, neither UADs plugins or their hardware are officially supported by UA for Mac M1. There is a bit of fiddling around to get UAā€™s Apollo drivers working. The key is to follow the instructions here:

If you try to hit up UAā€™s support for anything M1, youā€™ll get a tart ā€œWe donā€™t support itā€ reply. However, the UA forum has a whole thread devoted to it, with plenty of people using them successfully:
https://uadforum.com/macos-11-big-sur-mac-m1-sub-forum/51670-m1-test-v-9-13-1-a.html

I got 16GB of Ram. I couldnā€™t find a conclusive answer online as to how much I should get, so I just got the most I could. It works fine for me so far.

Iā€™m using Reaper as my DAW, and it works flawlessly on my M1. I also have Logic Pro X, and that seems to work fine too (although I havenā€™t used it much).
My experience pretty much mirrors this guy:

1 Like

Amazing!! Thanks for all the info!!

It sounds really good, the last slight issue is that I wanted to keep an eye on the hard drive issues that Iā€™ve been hearing about - Iā€™m not a tech guy at all so I donā€™t really understand but Iā€™ve heard the (SSD?) is writing/rewriting inefficiently and itā€™s going to reduce the life of the computer. Iā€™m sure I just butchered that explanation lol but I was thinking of possibly waiting until the second generation of MBPs comes out with the M1 to give Apple a chance to fix any issues on the first run of this tech. Maybe Iā€™m being overly cautious?

Either way- thanks for the info and insight! Hopefully Iā€™ll have a new tune to ā€˜bashā€™ before too long, finally just getting everything set up againā€¦ been a long yearā€¦

So, Andrew, cd u clarify or comment on this more? I am understanding you to say that the bigger part (only part?) of the hassle with getting set up with the M1 really was about the transition from Windows to Mac, re: the plugins? Am I correct with that?

My sense is that the REAPER ARM64 (M1) download seems pretty stable with the M1. Iā€™ve read that actually the regular REAPER download works nearly equally well with Rosetta 2.

Is the idea that most of my plugins should work with REAPER on the M1? I ā€œthinkā€ that if I were to run the regular version of REAPER thru the Rosetta 2 emulation, all of my plugins that worked on my non-M1 MacBook Pro should still work?

I am also under the impression that if I use the ARM64/M1 version of REAPER it will likely be more ā€œiffyā€?

Am I correct here?

Correct. All of my plugins that install work, but I donā€™t use the ARM64/M1 version.