Long time no see (aka the return of Big Al)

It’s been a couple years since I’ve been on this site but I’m still alive and kicking. Shout out to @holster for checking in on me. I’m going to make an effort to be a better IRD citizen.

7 Likes

Hi Big Al,
Welcome back, and hope to engage with you more inside IRD!!!
Warm regards,
Rene

1 Like

Welcome back Al, I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering what had happened to you. You may be right on time, as the forum had gotten pretty sparse until Rene came along and lifted us up with his frequent song postings.

To celebrate the occasion (and bass playing in general), here’s a bit of a tribute. I don’t know if it lyrically makes sense in that context, but it invokes your name and is a fun and interesting song from way back.

1 Like

Thanks, Stan!

Speaking of bass playing, the pandemic gave me and a few friends the opportunity to launch a new project that was foreign territory to all of us. I’m playing bass guitar in a modern country cover band. At first I didn’t think it would go over well but to my surprise, it’s been pretty successful. It’s also been more fun than I expected and it (1) pulled me out of the slump I’d been in (2) forced me out of my comfort zone and helped me sharpen my skills.

I’m still doing the sound guy thing on the weekends that I’m not gigging.

I haven’t done any writing or recording to speak of. I still haven’t gotten out of my own head.

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ve always been a rocker, but played bass in a somewhat country/worship band for a short while many years ago. I came to appreciate how the new (modern) styles of Country music have incorporated Rock into them, and that helped.

Something I’m working on too. Trying to push myself more in that direction again.

1 Like

Great to see you on hear, looking forward to your contributions. Welcome back!

1 Like

Hi Al,
One day maybe I’ll come back too!

2 Likes

That’d be amazing! I hope you get back into some recording/playing soon! :beerbanger:

1 Like

What’s up people? What have I missed?

Hey…the site is not too active anymore. I visit a couple times a day looking to check out new songs. Good if you could contribute again.

1 Like

I will definitely try. Things have slowed down considerably for me and my sound company. My partner retired and I am becoming more selective in the work that I’m accepting these days!

2 Likes

Welcome back AL!

Wish I could contribute more often, but work has got me tied down pretty good (in a good way). But I do try to hop on often to see if I can help anyone out every once in a while.

I do plan on writing a sort of bigger blog-ish kind of post after things settle down a bit for me. I would like to share some new experiences I’ve had in the industry with my official music director hat on. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Life definitely has a way of interfering with our fun times!

Welcome back Big Al.

1 Like