How Do You Master Every Song To Be The Same Volume?

So, I’m doing an 8 song album and I want every song to come out sounding like they are at the same level. In the past I’ve always had to rely on a combination of the meters and my ears, but that is time consuming and I’d like to find a better and more accurate way.

I’m using Reaper. Is there any specific meter that I can use, that would tell me if I’m getting the ideal levels? The master buss is pretty hard to read and visually small in Reaper, AND it’s difficult to see whether you’re getting the same readings on each song.

What do you set your mix levels at before mastering? I’ve been setting my levels to peak at approximately -3 dbs on my mix, before adding the mastering limiter.

Scan using ReplayGain. I have foobar2000, it tells you how many decibels a song needs to be increased or reduced in order to fit a predetermined volume level by you. It’s what I use

If you want a metter, TT Dynamic Range meter is good and free, it analyzes dynamic range. Funny you say this, Plugin Alliance’s bx_meter is on sale for $9 today.

Where can I find ReplayGain and what will it tell me? The RMS of the individual songs, so that I can compare their levels?

Is that free? Does ReplayGain do the same thing as that?

You can also use a real-time LUFS meter like this one - it’s free. LUFS is similar, but a slightly different standard to RMS. It is a new standard that is being adopted rapidly worldwide. Most of the streaming services now have an LUFS-based measurement that they normalize playback to.

4 Likes

This is what it is, it comes free with foobar, and it is free. Foobar2000 is just a really customizable music player, plays most anything, or you can download extensions so it plays more. ReplayGain does not change information on a file, most people use it on their phones or iPods so that every track is consistent in volume without effecting the source material. It simply scans the file, and tags it with information to reduce or increase the volume compared to the threshold you set. Here’s an example, shows peak values too.

P.S. - Yes I am listening to the Slaughter - Stick it Live EP, and yes I have no shame in admitting that.

2 Likes

Excellent. Thanks for that @ColdRoomStudio !

That looks good my man! Thanks

PS…No need to be ashamed…It could be worse…You could be listening to Poison, Dokken or Extreme.:rofl:

God damn it.

1 Like

:open_mouth::open_mouth::dizzy_face::flushed::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: You need an exorcism.:nauseated_face::face_vomiting::rofl::joy:

Is Unskinny Bop on that album…It’s one of their best…, which isn’t saying much. :grin:

No, I can’t stand that song, but it’s on the next one.

:fu:
Be careful, @holster is a C.C. fan.

1 Like

I have the cassette of the Slaughter album that has “Sleep All Day, Up All Night”…or is that “Sleep All Day, Rock All Night”.

Fly To The Angels is a song I’ve always liked, and Eye To Eye is cool too.

Holster likes CC Deville? :flushed::zipper_mouth_face:…Just kidding :grin:

Yes.
http://indierecordingdepot.com/uploads/default/original/2X/4/481f36cbc5330081688fd1f2d29d01cc59979dec.jpg
Does that save me?

1 Like

You’ve redeemed yourself. RUSH has washed away your sins.

1 Like

Gimme five, and I’ll dazzle you.

This should give you a boner… all originals baby. None of that remastered bullshit. You’ve no idea how long that took. I got Killers for $1. Haha. Japanese Import!

1 Like

Oooh, that hits the spot. :star_struck:

How big is your Kiss Kollection?

I have Dressed To Kill, Destroyer, Rock N Roll Over, Love Gun, Hotter Than Hell, Dynasty, Unmasked, Asylum, Lick It Up, The Elder, Revenge, KISS Alive, …Not sure what else…I used to have everything before Crazy Nights. That album worried me…But I liked Hot In The Shade.

I got Simmons solo album too…Some great ballads on that one.

The only solo album that is crap, is Peter’s.

Has @BigAlRocks seen this collection yet?

1 Like

I haven’t shown him. Can BigAl compete?