Goals for 2018?

Just to find more time to play and enjoy music and really throw myself into it :smiley:

2 Likes

I have a sudden new goalā€¦ as itā€™s the last day of 2017 here downunder, today I am going to write my own horoscope for 2018ā€¦ Iā€™m fed up with these dumb ones that say random things for half-way through the year on a certain date so I am going to rearrange the cosmos to suit meā€¦
I shall be mistress of my own destinyā€¦ hmmm, a song or three there? :crazy_face:

6 Likes

JJ, big congrats to you on this. I know it is really not easy at all! Hats off to ya and best wishes for continuing your process to hit your target. I need to shed another ten myself to get back to where I want to beā€¦

I know this thread isnā€™t about new yearā€™s resolutions per se, but I canā€™t resistā€¦ I am still keeping the last new yearā€™s resolution I ever made, back around 1980 or so: Never to make another new yearā€™s resolution. Win! :grinning:

1 Like

be more tolerant of assholes
be more tolerant of bad drivers
be more tolerant of medical people who are incompetent
be more tolerant of losers trying to bring others down
be more tolerant of people who dominate the conversation and never listen
be more tolerant of myself

3 Likes

reminds me of today at work. last work day of 2017.
As happens sometimes I told myself before work ā€œnothing will bother me todayā€ā€¦then I ended up pulling my manager aside after I wasted my breath on my supervisor lol

1 Like

ā€œThe Horoscope Songā€! A stroke of genius. Write the horoscope and then put it to song, is that the idea? :musical_score: :musical_note: ā€œSaturnā€™s entering Capricorn, and all will be mighty good.ā€ :notes: :slightly_smiling_face:

When you write your own horoscope, I think thatā€™s called ā€œaffirmationsā€. :grin:

1 Like

I have low hopes for this year. Itā€™s going to be as pointless and mind numbing as any year. Hopefully the U.S. votes the GOP out, but Iā€™m sure itā€™s only temporary and weā€™ll vote them in again. Besides, the Democrats suck too.

2 Likes

come on brah, BS political talk? really? Im already getting older, please dont force me to lose IQ points

You will not make it through the year! Ha! Making a whole year accomplishing one of these would be a milestoneā€¦but all of them? Good luck.

Sucks to see those kinds of situations man. I genuinely hope you guys can get this resolved quickly! Especially for the sake of your daughter. Having both parents in her life is important in my opinion. Best wishes for a quick resolution!

2 Likes

Cheers mate

My goal for this year is to try out my newly upgraded recording computer, mother board, memory ans SSD drive. Itā€™s functional but Iā€™ll first have to purchase another interface to go with it as the old one is dying and is Fire wire. I can still use it on the other recording computer. But Iā€™ll wait before touching the new.

1 Like

I think Iā€™ve gone and made a nice setup of 500 series gear. Maybe I should have made my goal to successfully learn how to use them before the end of the year.

1 Like

wonder how everyone did? lol
2018ā€¦wowā€¦this post seems over before I got started.
I would have to say
Success 1: recording : I did more than 3 halffinished recordings
Success 2: gear comparing: I reduced this a lot but went to comparing my cheap gear to $1500 gear and plugā€™sā€¦ so I consider it improvement of not spending a month comparing the ART MPA to the ART MPA Gold to the ART MPA II to the ART MPA Referenceā€¦that got a bit silly.

FAILED: D+: made zero improvement in getting drums going. other than WikiDrums and playing with drummers tracks, thank you very much!..I still am severly thwarted in software drums and pretty much a retard level of playing real drumsā€¦I might buy a Cajun hand slap thing, for some tunes. Due to Success #1 Unfinished Ideas, theres no need for sending anything to a real drummer.

Gear thatā€™s survived the year is the Rane MS1x2 (DMS) for clean power pre. the ART TPS, and have a UA LA610ā€¦ Plugs PodFarm and Boz +10DB and Klanghelm ā€¦.

best new purchase: Japan Fender, PS51 with the best neck Ive ever had. Its a joy purchase after many many months. My old Squier neck finally buzzed beyond saving.

Tried a few Bass guitarsā€¦kept my 30yr old Squier Jazz, but the P-Bass was quieterā€¦I really liked thatā€¦a surprise player was the Peavy Fury maple neck bass, even over US Fenders I had aroundā€¦the bass player in the sons band uses it over all the choices. I agree, its a Furyā€¦but man what a piece.

2018ā€¦ RIP

2019ā€¦ baby

1 Like

I dont remember if I had any goals starting the year out, but I think Iā€™ve gotten a lot done this year. I learned Reaper, at least well enough to record and finish songs in. I started recording a band and getting paid a bit to do it. In doing so I learned how to record real drums and it has gone way better than I had expected. I was hoping to finish this bands album by the end of the year, but theyā€™ve been busy playing a lot of shows in between recording, so it will probably be done early next year. So far we have 12 out of 16 songs done though so thatā€™s not too bad.
One thing I havent done this year is write and record any of my own stuff, but somehow Iā€™m ok with that since Iā€™ve actually been recording and mixing more than I would have been recording myself. I did play one show with my band though. Overall I feel like itā€™s been a pretty good year for me music wise.

For the record, I was nice to an asshole and didnā€™t flip off a bad driver. Two otta six ainā€™t bad

From December of 2017

Its bare bones right now, and the devā€™s still have to fix some typos but its relatively functional! I have a movie not yet released, and two major releases for Playstation that I canā€™t add to the portfolio because the developer studios havenā€™t published them yet. I also need to strengthen the portfolio, but Iā€™m have a difficult time getting artists to send me decent quality photos.

1 Like

Still cruising along with keeping this one!

2 Likes

I got the same problem. Donā€™t look as good in photos as I used toā€¦

Although i have no real dedicated studio space in our current house, and sold most if nearly all my gear :see_no_evil:

I plan to try and finish some of the many hlf mixed songs and demos.

1 Like