And for something a bit heavier

Completed this one recently as well.

As a contrast to the Sweet mix, I really struggled with this one and I feel like it shows. I think part of the problem was over-thinking it and trying to do more than was necessary (more is more right???), which is certainly a weakness I have. This was a competition mix too so it was kinda easy to get into my own head about making it as good as possible. In the end I was fighting with a lot of aspects, and my ears were burned out from spending too much time on it… and just got it to a place where I thought it was listenable then submitted it.

Now that I’ve prepared you for a disaster :rofl: take a listen!

A little extra info. The band is Funeral For A Friend. Song is called Serpents in Solitude. I reamped the main rhythm guitars through my Mesa Dual Rectifier being boosted by a Highwind Amplification Direwolf pedal and run through an IR of a Marshall/Diezel cab mix.

1 Like

Another great sounding mix! Doesnt really need many changes imo.
There is a lead guitar solo that comes in at 1:26ish and plays till 1:40 along with the vocals. Perhaps the guitar requires a bit of aggressive panning or imaging to be heard a bit better. It is a beautiful run

1 Like

I feel like there’s a little bit of something missing from the low end when the intro hits. Once the song gets going, I don’t really notice it any more. But the contrast from the lofi intro to the actual intro makes the full song sound a little bit weak. Maybe just taking out a bit of the low end from the lofi drums would make the real drums sound more impactful?

1 Like