An old friend collab Terry and Fly done

Latest but not the greatest version yet. I added more fills. Pushed Jims normal vocal high and low for harmonies. Never knew melodyne could move a vox note six steps and keep decent integrity?? Timing issues ar 20 and near the end that really can just be left alone.
The clicking on the track is then only thing that I am not sure of. You guys can help me with that. Pretty hard to do any changing when the vocal, bass and drums and on the same feed.
Any how it was 85 here in Texas and I had a chance to stay indoors and play in the studio. So much fun

tweekā€¦removed high capoā€™d acoustic that wasnā€™t adding anything

1 Like

Sounding really good Paul, those harmonies lift the vocal. Man some fiddle over this would be cool.
Nice work.

1 Like

Working on drums, could you please put the track up minus the drums so I can hear how itā€™s sitting? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Sir Fly Here is where it gets tricky for those who try and help me . What has been going on is the track Terry sent me, is that the bass, drums, and Jimā€™s original with him singing and the accompanying acoustic all in a single track.
Terry sent me a single track of the bass, drums, Jimā€™s vocal, and guitar. That is what i needed to do a true mix. Now because Jim was erratic in the total timing of this, Terry had to chop and mend so he could come up with a timing of 133. All I had is the original vocal track before it repaired the timing. It was not even close to what we have now. So, i had to let the track that he sent me with the bass, drums, acoustic and vocal play down the middle.
It is not what I wanted, but all i could do.
I am very happy with the results as of now, but without Jims vocal on where the trackā€™s bpmā€™s are I was kinda screwed.
Originally i asked for some suggestions but was very excited in what I saw progressing, but then it started getting very confusing. My brain at 74 is not sharp anymore.
I must have 40 hours into this already where the average studio guy would have two.
This will be my last attempt at a collab because of my lack to expertise in mixing. Big mistake getting involved with a song with no timing. It sounds good enough now. Huge thanks to Terry. Jim will shed a tear or two.

Iā€™m sure @terryhesticles could drop out the drums with the click of a button! I have a drum track ready if he wants to try itā€¦but either way no sweat, Iā€™m sure heā€™ll love it! 40 hours! Youā€™ve done a great job on this. A labor of love for sure!

This whole project got me thinking of my neighbor from back home. He got me into fishing when I was a kid and put me on my first steelhead. Fast forward 35 years, now Iā€™m the one who gets to help lift him into the boat when he comes to visit every winter for our annual birthday trip. I row while he fishes. Sadly, he just had a stroke (3 days before our trip) and is in rehab at the moment. I sure hope he pulls out of this so he can come for another visit and catch another steelhead while row myself to exhaustion!

Great but sad story. I just watched the traveling wilburys end of the line this morning and started reflecting back. The payback is good for both of you for sure. I remember my dad renting a boat for one buck night fishing for bass. Wrote a song about it.
From the time I joined this forum a long time ago I was hoping for more collabs, but it didnā€™t happen.
Thanks for the offer. Not sure if he would notice. Kinda torn here. ha ha Itā€™s all good.

1 Like

Sorry brother, I did see your request for a drumless mix yesterday, but just assumed that since I only had the original vox/gat/bass mix Paul might have been able to hook you up with an updated version.
My bad, I should have just asked you anyway.
Hopefully this one helps you out.

1 Like

Hey Paul, if itā€™s all getting a little too overwhelming Iā€™d be more than happy to have a play around with a mix for you if you want to go ahead and upload your new parts.
I mean Iā€™ve already got the project all set up, it wouldnā€™t be a problem to keep building upon it until weā€™ve got something weā€™re all happy with, and most of all something Jim will be happy with and can share with his family.
Itā€™s all good, and itā€™s going to sound great.

2 Likes

Well I am not having any real problems being inept these days. I spent a couple hours this morning trying to get google maps on my 2020 camry. ha ha Itā€™s a senior thangy I guess. Deep down there were many times i had hoped you might do that. But all for an 86 year old man that you never met. Very refreshing knowing their are good folks out there yet.
Most of what I added to the original isnā€™t very much or good. I will go back and check how many tracks it involves.
I did try something that I thought might work. I took Jimā€™s original vocal and started a new song. I transfer to the new track and set it from 120 (default) to 133. I saw it change to a faster rate. I copied it and imported it into the session. It did not work. Very frustrating.

1 Like

I thought those backing vocals and electric guitar you added sounded good.
Just upload them if you get a chance, and we can put them in the song, and if you feel you want to revise or change something we can just go back in and revisit later on.
Itā€™s a cool project so Iā€™m happy to help where I can.

1 Like

Really sweet little update to Jimā€™s cover.
@flyguitarfish has gone ahead and laid down some beautiful live drum tracks as well as a super slinky electric guitar part.
Just took the song to another level.
So cool.

3 Likes

Fantastic job, everyone! Itā€™s been both fascinating and awesome observing this collaboration coming together. Great stuff!

2 Likes

I have always said there is a tremendous amount of talent on this site. AND folks that , I think, like to get involved. The song now has a whole different vibe and now itā€™s time to present it to Jim. I am going there today and will report back.
Thanks to both of you for all your hard work. I now have to pay it forward with helping the little ole lady across the street with a large tree removable.
Sincerely Paul

1 Like

Very cool, and happy to help! Since this is the Bash threadā€¦The guitar timing got off somehow, comes in too earlyā€¦could you fix that? Hereā€™s the original recording with it lined up.

The banjo you added is awesome! And thereā€™s that weird ring at the end from one of the instruments that could be removed.

2 Likes

Wow, i heard the timing and wasnā€™t going to say anything because I really appreciated the help.
So glad to hear this. thanks very much

Haha! Gotta bring back the bashing, youā€™re too kind! You were thinkingā€¦ā€œHow does this guy keep a steady drum beat but canā€™t figure out when to hit his guitar strings!ā€

2 Likes

Also, nothing wrong with your guitar parts. Itā€™s just that the ā€œnon-drumā€ version I was using didnā€™t have them since it was just for recording/testing purposes. But when I went back to listen it was really missing them. So I thought, ā€œhey, letā€™s try some bluegrass/country guitarā€, and because it was so fun I just kept recording until I had something I liked. I really hope your friend and his posterity enjoy this! Youā€™re a kind person! Terry too! He put a ton of amazing work into this!

2 Likes

This is remarkable guys. I just had a quick moment to check in and this caught my eye. Make me smile to see the story and see you all team up like this.
Made my day. You guys rock!

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œholster, post:38, topic:6498, full:trueā€]
This is remarkable
Hey boss. These guys are great. Very hard to pull it all together. Just donā€™t ever record without at least a click track. Big time fun working with others tho. Take care and thanks for the listen.
ps I go see Jim tomorrow. All I know is that we will play every song with three chords and none of them will be minor chords.

1 Like

New updated version, stripped back quite a bit from the previous iteration.
Basically just vocals, bass, acoustic guitar and drums now.