An old friend collab Terry and Fly done

He is 86 with one leg and is starting to struggle to get around as of late. I pick him up on Fridays and take hime to the local fishfry. He refuses a wheelchair and it is painful to take each step and rest. Anyway we play acoustic together once in awhile and it is much fun. He made a recording awhile back and just sent to me. He said if there is anything better you can do for the song he would appreciate it. Wants to pass a collection to his grandkids.
I have about ten hours trying to get studio one five to sync in on a tempo so i can add bass, percussion, etc. I will not do it. If play my guitars and type in a new tempo, it will do it quickly. If I try just the track it doesn’t work.
I have tried some old buckets for bass and the EQ was way to high etc. I was just wondering if any DAW will feel out the bpm,s. Anyhow I was looking formard to playing along. Both EZdrummer 2 and studio one don’t work.
I appreciate the kind of music from the past and I think he did a great job with both guitar and his voice into one mic. Rene does about the same, but he has two mic’s

3 Likes

Hey there Paul cool tune.
See if these tracks are any good to you. 133bpm, 3/4
Cheers.

Guitar:

Vocals:

1 Like

Hi Terry How the hell did you do this. I can’t imagine. My skills are so minimal I can’t even understand the youtube videos that address this.
His vocal is so clear??? I can’t wait to try this tomorrow morning. I just hit the wall and couldn’t even get started. I tried to copy and paste individual notes etc. I was using my mouse with EZdrummer hitting the kick etc. it sounded good but would not record.
Can you even imagine doing this at 86 and be pretty much on key.
I hope this didn’t take to long. I was just looking for a “how to plan”, but this is perfect.
Such a kind thing to do. I will post the progress if I can get this going. thanks much

1 Like

Hey there Paul, no problems at all, I didn’t really take that long. Happy to help out, and hopefully you can put something cool together for the old fella, I’m sure you will.

I separated the tracks using this online tool https://vocalremover.org/ which I’ve used in the past for different things and it seems to do a fairly nice job. Even better when you’re only dealing with 2 elements.
Thankfully the song only consists of 3 guitar phrases, so it was just a matter of working out the average bpm, and finding 4 bars of each of the phrases that worked best together, essentially just using the three different 4-bar samples to recreate the entire tune. A quick and dirty solution, but I think once you start adding in drums, bass etc it shouldn’t be too noticeable.
So obviously it’s not the entire original guitar take, there was just too much tempo drift (about 8 bpm) for me to snap/quantize the entire guitar take back onto the grid, and probably waaaay beyond my paygrade to even attempt.
Then it was just a matter of chopping up the vocals and sliding them back into position over the guitar.
Like you say, for 86 he’s done a pretty stella job, having said that I did run the vocal through Melodyne just to even out the pitch a little bit, still sounds very natural.
Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with here.
Cheers mate.

4 Likes

Past my bedtime, but all the info is going to give me a bigger boost than my double 5:30 double coffee hit. I can’t wait to try the vocal remover on many of my songs I did 20 years ago.

1 Like

Went ahead and tracked some bass. I think it works okay. If you like it keep it, if not that’s cool too.
Put some very rudimentary drum tracks over top just to keep a beat but we’ll have to see if we can get @flyguitarfish on the job, he did mention something about a collab, and you just can’t beat live drum tracks wink wink.

Bass Mix:

Bass Guitar:

It kind of reminded me of Jimmy Stewart (his voice … and Southern accent?) meets Robert Johnson (acoustic Blues vocal/guitar), though I know he said Bluegrass. I can see how you guys would get along, musically and otherwise. It’s very sweet for you to look after him like that and jam with him. You probably light up his life in several ways. I bet he’s got a lot of stories to tell, and wisdom to give. Bless his heart.

Wow Terry it is really starting to sound like the “real deal”
I am thinkin about adding at least some of the acoustic R and L. Maybe a three part harmony in the chorus? Maybe a final slight boost in bpm’s ??

Do you have just the drums on a separate track. If you do, please send along. I have a lot of experimenting to do now.
I am not holding up my part, but maybe today I can be work free. Please keep track of your hours on this. Excited thinking of his response when I present this. He cries easily. :slight_smile:

Hey STM This dude is cool and yes he has so many stories. I am a type A personality, but I force myself to sit and am amply rewarded for the patience. Hope you are doing well and thanks for the listen.

1 Like

Here you go mate, hope they help.

1 Like

Hey thanks bud. I put a little lead break in today and a guitar track with my PRS to see how it will sit. I noticed Jims guitar was going in and out in a few spots. I did another bass track but it wasn’t as good as yours. Did you play the bass on that?
I sung a first harmony on the chorus, but my voice has been allergied. ha ha
I will do some fills later today. I wish I had my Gibby es 335 with me. I had flirted on all acoustic, but my shure 58 would make it tough. Especially without a mic stand. ramble ramble

1 Like

Nice one Paul, can’t wait to see what you come up with. To answer your question, yep I played that bass.
Cheers.

2 Likes

Not right now, but a little later I might get just Jim singing. The first one i got doesn’t support the new tempo.
Did you play those acoustic parts that are left and right. If you did, I will leave them, if not i will replace them.
Working on fills right now and three part chorus harmony. I will post the update maybe tomorrow. The bass is very good btw. Has more spunk than mine

Collab so far. Added some strummin tracks, fills, chorus harmonies, lead break 101
Tuned my PRS and left it there with no effects. Thought it sounded decent. I suck at fills in general. left the two harmony tracks pretty low as not to distract. I have one bad ear and can’t tell volumes. Anyway, it’s just fun. I wish sometime we could get many to join in. :slight_smile:
Your take on speeding it up slightly??

1 Like

No, I just did a bit of stereo separation on Jim’s OG guitars.

Sounding really good. The increase in tempo works. What’s the new bpm?

1 Like

I didn’t increase the tempo, just asked if I should. I left your bass, vox and drums combination track run and I shouldn’t have. I think I now have all of them separate and can mix that better…duuhhh on my part.

1 Like

Haha, all good. I don’t think it would hurt, you can only try it and see how it sounds.

1 Like

@feaker @terryhesticles

Fun collab…sounds great already. I didn’t see this until today. Nice work gents. I work 8a-8p tomorrow. I’ll have some time Sunday if you want some real drums on that.

2 Likes

Ohh yes please man, that would be absolutely killer. Now Paul did mention something about increasing the tempo, but not sure by exactly how much (the current version is 133), so we’ll just have to work that out and then get you the correct files.
Thanks for jumping on board with this one mate, should take it to a whole other level.

1 Like

Sir fish that would really be cool to have real drums. I am leaving everything as is after listening a day later. I was going to take the snap out of Terry’s bass, but after listening again I like it a lot. Now when the live drums are added “we” will have to re-evaluate.
And please comment on any mutt parts you hear that can be improved. I am getting so excited to give this to him.

2 Likes