Acoustic-y, Jazzy, Funky Mix "My Will"

Hi everyone, I did this mix whilst checking out some new plugins - Namely Waves RS124 and DBX 160, along with Waves CLA EchoSphere. RS124 is a very nice sounding compressor which just works. Anyhow, this was a cool mix to work on. Great musicianship and recordings, although it did have a few challenges.

The mix was done very quickly, in a couple of fairly short sessions.

The artist is Craig Demelo, who you can find out more about here

…and here is a revised mix with the kick sitting a little better and a few other changes.

2 Likes

Sounding good. You really got the acoustic sounding and feeling good. I am wondering though if it isn’t just a little too close so that there a little too much separation between it and the other instruments. The electric guitar solo has the same feel but because it is a solo it feels ok to me. Nothing technical just a thought.

1 Like

Thanks Eric. My process was a little different with this mix, so it sounds a bit different. I can see where you’re coming from, but I kinda like the separated vibe

1 Like

sounding great! guitars might be coming in a bit hot in certain parts 1:54 ish

1 Like

Thanks Michelle. This one was fun, but I think I spent enough time on it. It served the purpose of learning the new plugins.

1 Like

This all sounds REALLY good !

Those acoustics sound nice! Every instrument is coming through cleanly and clearly. Bottom end is big, I like the wide panning, the way you have the acoustic far to the right and the keys on the left. Smooth sounding stuff !

Btw, I’m listening through AKG K77 headphones, on my laptop.

1 Like

Thanks W! I was pretty stoked overall with how it turned out - especially for the relatively brief time I spent on it!

1 Like

Wow dude!!
The mix sounds full and powerful with lot of punch and dynamic. Maybe a bit too full on low-mid section but nothing really wrong.
I also found the mix somehow compressed or very hot on some very busy parts and after launching an LUFS meter, you reached -5 dB LUFS just after the sax solo… and +3 on LRA…
I really have no idea how you did this but as you tested compressors, it could be that. But my mind says it doesn’t that loud…

Congrats for that result, that fast!

1 Like

Thanks, I think the low mids are actually pretty good on this. If I get that wrong, my car stereo always punishes me, but this mix passes that test with flying colours in that respect. However, I did revise it because the kick was a little too loud, with too much sub. I just forgot to post the revised mix. Here it is:

It measures about -8LUFs long term. Granted, that is not a quiet mix, but it is on par with what most commercial releases are still being released at, despite what the internet says… and as you said above:

The mix sounds full and powerful with lot of punch and dynamic

The mix is not heavily compressed, or limited on the master buss. The loudness is built into the mix at the track and buss stage. That is why it retains punch and dynamics and is still able to be very loud. If you control peaks well on individual elements, your mix has much more “loudness potential” without negative side effects.

Another example of that approach I posted here, but with very different material:

Congrats for that result, that fast!

Thanks for listening and commenting - much appreciated!

1 Like

Waves has some good stuff for incredible prices. I like a lot of their latest creations, I haven’t tested the DBX 160 or the RS124 though, so it’s interesting to hear what you have to say about that.

I think your mix (only listened to the revision) has a great low end. It is in the upper part of the acceptable range for sure, but sounds fantastic (at least on my monitors). Low mids sound perfectly balanced to me as well.

I don’t like the vocal tone, but that might be the recording more than your processing. It sounds a bit constrained/narrow, like some important frequencies are missing.

I have to admit, as much as I don’t usually like very loud mixes, this ones sounds great even though it is VERY loud. Well to be honest it does sound too compressed but only for a few seconds in the loudest sections (most notably from 3:23 to 3:27). You certainly did a great job of making this sound both good and loud. I still don’t understand why people keep on trying to push the loudness to the limit when the same thing would sound just as good or even better with a slightly bigger dynamic range, but I commend the technical prowess.

Do you mind mentioning where exactly the DBX 160 and the RS124 are used in this mix?

1 Like

Hi Jean Marc, thanks for giving it a listen!

I like their latest stuff too, and some of their old er stuff. They cop a lot of flack, but I find that really strange, because they make great stuff. There are quite a few Waves plugins I use on every mix, and have been for a long time now.

I don’t like the vocal tone, but that might be the recording more than your processing. It sounds a bit constrained/narrow, like some important frequencies are missing

The lead vocals, the saxophone and the lead guitar solos were the most difficult elements to mix, in that order. I’m not sure if the vocal mic wasn’t quite suited to the artist, but his voice had some really harsh overtones that made it sound too “hard” and intense for the type of music. There were also some intermittent, rogue overtones too, that were really tricky to tame. I ended up using Waves F6 on those. If you listen to the last word on the 1st mix I posted, there is a really biting tone that I just had to deal with. I nixed it with mix F6 on mix 2. He is obviously a fantastic singer, but for whatever reason, the recording didn’t seem to flatter his voice too much.

I have to admit, as much as I don’t usually like very loud mixes, this ones sounds great even though it is VERY loud. Well to be honest it does sound too compressed but only for a few seconds in the loudest sections (most notably from 3:23 to 3:27). You certainly did a great job of making this sound both good and loud. I still don’t understand why people keep on trying to push the loudness to the limit when the same thing would sound just as good or even better with a slightly bigger dynamic range, but I commend the technical prowess.

I agree that it is probably louder than it needs to be. I think around -10dB LUFS would suit this style of music. I did push for loudness on this one, but it was more of a personal engineering challenge rather than a deliberate stylistic choice. I was working on the theory that the more “loudness potential” you build into your mixes before your master buss, the less invasive processing you need to put on your master buss, and the impression of dynamics and punch is retained, regardless of whether the artist decides to get it mastered loud or not. I’m pretty happy with the tactics I’ve discovered of recent times, and I think this mix illustrates that those tactics work.

Do you mind mentioning where exactly the DBX 160 and the RS124 are used in this mix?

The DBX160 was on the snare only, but I put the RS124 on the Overheads, the bass, the acoustic guitar, the electric lead and rhythm, the saxes, the Rhodes, the piano, and the harmony vocal groups.

2 Likes

Thanks for your detailled reply!

I tried to understand and reached loud levels as well but I didn’t understand how to do this properly (or with pro standards): handling low-end, which weigh a lot in loudness measurement, and handling hi-end, which could sound harsh or distorted at on higher levels, are main topics to me.
I referenced a mix against a Katy Perry’ song and this later song has quite the same feeling as your mix. But with less lo-mid frequencies, to my ears actually.

I agree and that’s why I have a lot of interest making mixes in that goals, but I dunno how.

You sumed this thing up in three sentences but I didn’t find this that easy. Specially when I try to avoid side-effects of higher levels (some distortion and/or extra sibiliances in vocals)

You also edited your comment when you pointed out I think that your mix has lot of dynamic and punch and I commented one meter didn’t agree.
I’m pretty confident my ears aren’t an accurate tool to measure dynamic or loudness.

I’m very curious about them, if you mind.

Again, thanks for sharing all those knowledge and details!

2 Likes

Hey Andrew,

Oh I see what you mean. And yes it is frustrating when you have to mix a fantastic vocal performance and the recording doesn’t do it justice. I have been using Soothe 2 for a couple months and it helps a lot with that kind of issue, if you get a chance I would recommend you try it.

Yes it does. Just like @ncls I’d be curious to know more about your process.

Happy new year’s eve!

1 Like