Yaaaaay! Used a Tom-Lord Alge trick to make ProTools stock plugins mimic Pultec Saturation! :D

Here’s a little trick any PT guys out there can play with to WARM up just about ANYTHING.

I’m on day 2 of getting acquainted with stock plugins.

So my big fail last night in trying to mix with stock PT plugins had to do with not knowing how to get a good distortion on an aux bus. So I started experimenting this morning trying some stuff that Tom Lord Alge mentioned at NAMM in one of his seminars. He showed he was using the Avid Lo-Fi to compensate for not having SSL drive in some places. Yay! Right? I tried it. Sounded like shit.

So I went to the Avid Sans-Amp (which is also a stock PT plugin) thinking I could dial it in to sound like console drive. Nope. The limitations in the EQ curves in the Sans-Amp just won’t work. Its good for distorting other things, but not good at emulating console drive.

Here’s what I figured out…gain compensation, EQ curve -> Then into the Lo-Fi. It’s not spot on, but its the sound I was looking for. Here’s the settings and some clips. This is my 9-foot Baldwin Concert grand (model D) tracked with Earthworks mics into Yamaha preamps.

note: This saturation chain is sitting on a parallel bus

The raw piano

With exaggerated distortion from the SoundToys pultec

With exaggerated distortion (gain matched) using stock PT plugins

Not bad eh?

Here’s the settings!

2 Likes

Low fi is good for taking the edge of things .Only need 1-2 saturation .A bit of the distortion can wake snares and kicks up too ,again not much needed as a little goes a long way with low fi

1-2 was too heavy. I found anything above .8 became audible in the wet/dry blend and started to defeat the purpose…that was for me though…I wouldn’t doubt if there’s some people that are using 1-2 on that lo-fi