Win 10 or 7 <> cubase + Optimise!

Hi there;

I’m about to get a new hard drive installed, cause this one is way to small. As of now I’m not yet properly set up, and only have 1 computer, so gotta do other stuff on it as well!.

I don’t have a legal version of windows yet, but I was planning on getting one for this installation. Al the rest I have is legal so, better get this one as well for better support I guess.

What do you guys suggest ? Win10 is around 130€ and win7 around 22€. So that quite a big difference. I would say I go for the win7.

I use cubase elements 7, and do not plan on changing in the future, unless theres some big bucks to make :stuck_out_tongue: lol, wich wont be any time soon, lol.

And does any one know a great tutorial or something for optimising the installation? The only thing that needs to run on this computer is cubase, firefox, and starcraft :stuck_out_tongue: ( not investing in a pc at the moment cause I cant start working on a decent room in 2 years.

Greetings !

I’d say go for 7, this way you won’t have to live with win 10 crap telemetry, ads and unwanted automatic updates.

BTW, if you want to go to 10 later, you can still upgrade for free.
M$ doesn’t advertise it too much of course but it’s still free for people who use assistive technology (screen readers, etc) here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
They say: "We are not restricting the free upgrade offer to specific assistive technologies. If you use assistive technology on Windows, you are eligible for the free upgrade offer."
They will have no way to check that you actually DO use assistive technology, nor do they care :wink:

5 Likes

Patrick makes a good point-- didn’t realize there was that back-door way to still go to W10. W7 is rock solid and stable for sure, the only downside is that MS will soon stop supporting it, and it’s only a matter of time before problems might arise from that. But that is still a ways off so if you’re on a budget and can get W7 for that cheap, and then W10 for free at some future time, it’s a no-lose proposition.

I don’t have as many objections to W10 as some do; I actually like it. But I know there are some features that rub people the wrong way, like those things Patrick mentioned. But then again, I’m a US government employee and all of my personal information was hacked out of the Office of Personnel Management systems by the Chinese years ago, so I’m screwed anyway! :laughing: :cry:

1 Like

I’m using Cubase on Windows 10, and have found it rock solid so far, much more reliable than Windows 7. If I rememeber, there’s a backdoor way to get the free upgrade from 7 -> 10 by telling it you need the accessibility features of Windows 10. But I don’t know if that’s still available. Anyway, Windows 10 gets my vote. You can always turn off the telemetry if it bothers you.

1 Like

It’s not a back door. It’s totally legal. They just don’t advertise it too much, but they don’t care who gets it either…

That’s what you would think, but with each (automatic) update, they enable that back, and add new things and new ads.

1 Like

Actually Microsoft won’t end security updates for your Windows 7 PC until Jan. 14, 2020, so a matter of a LONG time. I bet I will have updated my hardware and DAW long before that anyway.

2 Likes

Three years ain’t THAT long! Each year goes by faster than the last, it seems… That’s probably about when I’ll upgrade my h/w too, I just rebuilt my main box about a year ago so I should be good for awhile.

2 Likes

For software it’s an eternity!

1 Like

I think I’m gonna aim for that to, hearing those win10 things. Hate it when they can always change your stuff without being able to stop it. Just want a stable system, that hopefully almost never needs updates. Hate updates !!!

Thans for the comments ! I think I’ll stick to the win7 plan then :slight_smile: Gonna try it out this week I think.

FYI Win 7 is rock solid for me with Cubase!

1 Like

Ok, thanks :slight_smile: Had not that many problems either with my illigel version, so legal should be even better right ? cuagh, caugh caugh :slight_smile:

By the way, does any one have service packs installed on win7 ? witch one ? and did it give speciffick problems ?
Getting all my software together for installation so I can maybe install tomorrow.

bump, on last question :slight_smile:

AFAIK there’s only a SP1 available for Win 7, and yes, I’ve installed it and there were no issues for me.

1 Like

Thanks ! weird, thought I saw a 2 some where as well :s

I have been having a crash problem with Youtube recently. No BSOD, just suddenly shuts down. Now I have an older Vaio laptop, I think from 2010, early i7 and Win7, and I tried a lot of suggested fixes, and it still happens. Sure, it could be hardware, but the way I can almost on demand cause it to happen makes me think it is software, so I finally decided to go 10.

What held me back for so long was the fear one of my favorite plugins, Alchemy, might not survive, but I did it anyway. Fortunately, aside from some minor hassles, it was successful. Reaper still worked, and so have all my plugins. I did get a message about Sugar Bytes Guitarist, but it is working fine too.

Unfortunately, computer still shuts down playing Youtube videos, but at least now I know it was some corrupt dll in 7, I think.

I know this is an old thread, but 2020 doesn’t seem so far off nowadays, and as dearly as I love 7, I am so far quite happy with 10. Also I had to go 10 to take advantage of Visual Studio 2017 features to write Progressive Web Apps.