Why Wait - Personality Venuestudios

This was an interesting song to mix. I really wanted the song to take its time building so I stripped the opening back. Big thanks to the band for releasing the tracks!!

0 voters

1 Like

Sounds good on my laptop - need to try my monitors tonight. I love the way it goes from empty to full from verses to choruses. Reminds me of the way songs used to sound in the 80’s.

Very cool and different approach to the mix, Kent - I like it!

Good morning @venuestudios! I added the rating poll as required for you. Good luck!!

I like the concept a lot. Very cool. What I notice is that the drums get a bit buried in the choruses. I would also do some more work automating volumes.

thanks, I thought about that on my way home tonight… one less thing on the list!

appreciate the input!

There is quite a bit of volume automation but I made the decision to just let it rip in the chorus, knowing the drums would be covered a bit. I also struggle as to how much low mids to leave in. In the end, again, I figured I would just leave it a bit thicker rather than thin it out.

Interesting take on this overall i like the concept. I think the biggest issue i have is that i find the acoustic guitar part to be grating almost like it is off time or out of tune or both so because it dominates your mix choices it ruins it a bit for me. No one else has mentioned it so i think it must be me and i have not dug into what was bothering me too much about it, i just buried it a little instead.

Bashing as I listen: I like the stripped down intro and first verse, works well to build things up instead of going full on from the start! But like Red, I’m not sure I like their tone, they sound almost like DI acoustics… perhaps you’ve compressed them too much, or have pushed too much transient and no sustain, not sure but they sound a bit artificial…
One thing I noticed is that there is a big drop of intensity during the “bridge” around 2:13, the guitars suddenly sound less powerful than the acoustics, and there is a drop in level there that is not of the best effect.
Still some cool ideas on this one, good points for the approach, a little less for the execution.

Cool arrangement, but the acoustic guitars take over everything. Great backing vocals and nice kick sound

1 Like

thanks for the input Redworks/ptalbot/rick78. I would assume that the tracks were in time with one another. I did not spend any time making sure they were in sync. Similarly I did not re-tune anything. They are DI acoustics signals. I certainly let the acoustic drive the song, more so than the electrics. Just a choice. I understand it is not everyones cup of tea, but I really did not want it to sound like every other mix. Still all good critiques, thanks again!

Unless my memory is failing me, my recollection is that Dylan has always only ever provided me with mic’d acoustic guitar tracks. The electrics have DI counterparts, but not the acoustics.

The tracks I received had both mic’ed and DI for acoustic 1 and 2. Only the Bass had only DI. All other guitar tracks had both amp and DI. On the mix i used the 2 DI tracks for acoustic 1 and 2.

Ah, my memory did fail me! Perhaps I just always just dismissed the DI - that’s why I forgot about it!

Nice different interpretation of this material. Acoustic guitars are maybe too full in low mids. Now they overpower electric guitars. Actually acoustics mask also drums.

This one sounds more folk-ish! Acoustic guitar a bit too loud, but kinda like this version. Cheers! :beers:

I like the different approach actually. Goes pretty well with this voice. I would give the mix a little more space or reverb on the accoustic guitars and drums (maybe on vocals). Juuuuuust a little. Some side chain reverb on an AUXilary bus would probably get the job done. Nice mix though!

Yes, and it’s an interesting version. I’d call it “folky” too, overall. I like what you did, though bringing in the electric guitars only for certain sections then kind of seems like a clash of styles. Folky vs. Rocky. It’s got a split personality. :astonished:

That is a good idea. I was thinking of working on it a bit to address some of the thinks people have suggested. If i have a chance I will tune it up and throw it into the bash section. Thanks!

1 Like

Very different approach! I like it.

I find the sound well balanced.

I can hear some buildup in the 100-200 Hz region when the acoustic guitars play together with the VC30. You may want to reduce it.

Good luck!

1 Like