Why Wait - Personality (TokioJo Mix)

Hi,

Here’s my entry for the contest.

I really like the song and the performance/recording is so good that it was very fun to mix the tracks.

I try to mix the song simple and straightforward. Hope you like it.

Notes on the mix:

1. cut the intro’s drums.
  2. added a kick sample with Logic EXS24.
  3. used TB ReelBus on the drum master bus.
  4. used TSE BOD on the bass track.
  5. used the DI electric rhythm guitar tracks with IK Multimedia’s AmpliTube.
  6. used Sonimus Burnley 73 to EQ vocal/guitar/drum tracks.

Tnanks in advance for your taking the time to listen and comments.
Cheers,

JO

0 voters

Natural mix, really open !

Nice mix. The vocals seem a little weak, though. I also hear an annoying frequency at certain times of the song that’s coming from the guitars. Probably somewhere around 4kHz that just needed to be sucked out with a tight Q. Other than that, great job. :slight_smile:

I like the gradual build up. Tremolo with solo is nice.
Insturment sounds feel natural, and nothing is disturbing my ear.
Good work!

Some enhancements here and there would be nice. Now the overall sound is a bit flat, it’s not a record yet. But it’s very good demo.

Cool and creative !!!

Moa22
Thanks. I tried to make the mix to be open so I’m very glad to know you feel so.

BASSMASTER
Thanks for your comment. I noticed some harshness of acoustic guitar strumming after posting the mix. Maybe the level is a bit too loud? I would fix it if I have a chance to do so in the future.

OlliH
Thnaks for your comment. It is the hardest part to make the mix dynamic and interesting. I will try to do better work next time.

rijavia
Thanks. I’m very glad you like my mix.

Everything is coming across clearly. By using more automation on the guitars i think that you could have created more dynamics in spots and in the overall song. I found that to my ear it was like you found a volume that worked set it and left it there for the whole song. With that automation you would get movement that would highlight cool parts of the track and draw the listener into the song even more. Thanks for sharing.

one thing : awesome tremolo on the lead guitar.
Honestly, i would only have added some 180 hz on the snare top and a half db for the fader.

1 Like

Jo, I like the vibe of this mix! Good idea for the intro; tremolo on the lead gtr is cool; the re-amped egts are good too–maybe a little too mid-rangy… My only suggestion would be to get the kick & bass more consistent. They’re good when they’re really playing, but both came and went too much (as recorded) for my taste. (I used 2 compressors and a limiter on my kick, and added an amp track to the bass.) Oh: maybe clear up the center a little by going wider with your guitar panning. Nice work!

If you have the chance, please listen to and comment on my mix; I’d appreciate it:

Mike K’s Mix 2 of Personality

Right off the bat, lots to love here, I really like what you did with the intro, its really inventive and helps keep interest in the mix. Personally, I could do with a bit more bass and I would like to hear the vocals be more upfront in the mix, but that’s a taste thing really.
Awesome work.

I like the guitars starting the song and also the lead sound , but because how they arranged the intro I’m not sure it all works having the drums come in that late tho?

I kind a like the basement/garage feel you have going on. The mix overall is balanced good a few things sticking here and there

I think if I were to nitpick some things I would add a little 200 to the snare and maybe drop the volume a little maybe hi pass the toms seem to be a lot of energy when they hit (about 2.32The last thing would to bring that feed back guitar part down 2 or 3 db at(1:38)

I’m curious, do you mix with headphone or speakers?

Thanks again for all the comments.

redworks
Yes I need to dig automation more. Actually I did a little bit of automation on the guitar tracks but probably not enough.

Moa22
I like your idea on the snare.

Mike_K
I agree with your mentioning the kick & bass’s consistency. But I rather left such roughness to get raw feelings somehow…

I listened to your mix and I like the smoothness and am fond of the ending part especially.

tachin1
I’m very glad you like the mix.

Jerze
I will try the way your suggesting on the snare and toms.
I usually mix with speakers (JBL LSR305) and check with headphone as well. But I’m afraid I don’t play them loud enough for Rock ‘N’ Roll anyway…

1 Like

Different and truly diffirent that intro, nice

Thanks. I’m glad you like the mix.

1 Like

Good job overall.

A couple of things that distracted my ears were the lead guitar effect is a bit much. I would like about half as much and the master buss could be louder.

Great job.
Good luck

So creative, congrats on being original. Only issue for me was drums cymbals seem a little unstable…but all very cool.

Wow nice buildup leading to the chorus, I love the creative ideas, very nice arranging wise. The Leslie guitar is a win. You mellowed the song with softer guitars, and instantly the song has a different character, an indie type feel, nice work on that. In my opinion the vocals could be a bit more open, and louder. The kick drums is too prominent in the 2:15 part, I guess you tried to ad more excitement to that part, it’s just a tad overbearing. Frequency wise the track could benefit from a little sub bass enhancement to give it mass and guts, other than that it’s a bit honky at 1.5 Khz, guitars could be the main problem here.
Overall you did a great job, keep it up :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for all the comments!

TeeThomas54
The loudness of the master buss is always one of the issues to me… Like if it is too loud or not… I will try to find the good point next time, hopefully…

Deevz
I’m glad you like the mix.

VirtechStudios
I agree with your thoughts on the vocal and the kick. Also I would fix the guitars being a bit honky next time.