Why Wait - Personality (Ian Final Mix)

Still kind of new here, pretty sure my post count should be up to the minimum to submit this. Had a lot of fun mixing this one! Looking forward to maybe more of these!

0 voters

Hey Ian - Welcome to IRD!..

Mix sounds very good. I particularly like the clarity and audibility of the vocals. Drums and guitars sound great too. Nicely judged space/ambience.

About the only thing that could work a little better for me is the kick/bass relationship. The kick has a healthy sub-bass quotient and so does the bass. When they both play together there is a lot of “thud” coming from the kick down low, and to my ears, it sounds a little disconnected from the rest of the mix - that area in between the bottom of the guitars and the sub 100hz components in the mix - almost like there are two separate layers of sound.

The upper harmonics of the bass from around 150 - 800hz can provide that “connective tissue” that binds the whole mix together more cohesively. Saturation can often help to bring those harmonics to life more
Overall though, sounding really good!

1 Like

Very good mix Ian!
If I had to comment a thing I would change, it would that it is a bit too bright. For my taste. But that’s totally subjective!
Everything else sounds perfect to my ears!
Good luck!

Very cool, the only thing I would say is that the OHs have sth harsh about them, maybe it’s from combined highs of distorted guitars and OHs. I’m not sure.

Thanks! Yeah, this isn’t translating that well outside of my room. A little too harsh all around, but this month is crazy for me with work, so I just did a quick mix and uploaded, haha.

Overall harsh. I think you could pull some high mids out of the whole mix. For some reason this mix is giving me the feeling that the vocalist is racing the instruments. Did you pump the vocals ahead a tiny bit (on purpose or accidentally) I can’t be sure but i am getting that vibe ? I am glad that you were able to at least get something in it is good hearing different views of the song.

Bashing as I listen: ouch, this one is very bright. I had to put some shades on to listen to it.
I think with a big scoop of high shelf it would sound better to me. Forgive me I’m old! :wink:

Killer snare sound. And like the others said, a little too bright

This sounds very good, my critique is really more to do with my individual taste than any obvious flaw in the mix.
I’d like to hear a bit more mid-range, a sharp boost between 250 and 500 Hz in the drums and basss would make this a meatier mix.
I also find the drums are a bit too compressed for my taste, but it does come across as modern sounding, something I struggle to deliver so maybe its not a bad thing.
Anyway, good mix!

Haha… feeling really dumb over here. I’ve been going crazy trying to figure out why this didn’t sound like it did on my system… turns out i bounced it with Sonarworks still on. Whoops!, haha. Oh well. Next time.

1 Like

Well done, nice smooth but strong mix. Snare has maybe a bit too hungry compressor, now it doesn’t have too much of natural tail

the delay or reverb on guitar feels good.

This one is pretty cool! Love the reverb on drums! A bit tilt on lead guitar would be nice! Cheers & good luck, mate! :smile:

Hi, too much snare that hits master comp !!!