Why Wait - Personality (Contest Mix)

So here it is … I used amped guitar tracks and raw vocals (which I attempted to tune with my newly bought Waves Tune). I tried to use as little compression as possible. I also took your kind suggestions from bash the mix into consideration. I hope you like the mix. Thanks.

0 voters

Great mix. I liked a lot.
The base is also incredible.

1 Like

Many thanks Eduardo.

Nice job CosmicSea,
I like that you took the song somewhere else. I like that creativity.
It’s more mellow as you elevated the role of the acoustic gtr.
Only small suggestions here.
I would like the vocal a db or so lower.
Also I miss a bit of low end. The bass sounds a little thin to me. Of course I am listening on earbuds right now so I might be way off.
I love the final note of the gtr!
Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks a lot @ManAbyss, I think you are probably right about the vocal level. As for the low end, I mix with a sub, so maybe that it the reason the low end is a bit understated (I checked without the sub and low end seemed enough to my taste). That final note on the guitar was just begging for it:)

1 Like

Sounding good. I like the use of the layering of the distorted vocals in the chorus. I do find that the main vocal in the chorus jumps out me a little too much I think pulling it down a bit would helped the chorus mesh better. Otherwise sounding good.

1 Like

Pretty solid overall. I agree with Red that the vocals could have benefited from some automation on the chorus, I found that I was reaching for the volume control at that point. A 2db drop but with more leveling could have sounded more glued to the rest. Nice tones though, I like that it’s not too bright (some mix I’ve heard had me squinting a bit… I’m that old! :)) Good job!

1 Like

The thing that’s bothering me here is the kick seems a bit too upfront and sort of messes with whatever compression you’ve got in the 2 bus, it feels like it pumps a little bit, especially at the beginning.
Otherwise I think this is a great mix and its interesting all the way through with some nice highlighting of the variation in the arrangement.
Really cool.

1 Like

@tachin1 Hey, thanks for your comment. I think what you say might be the case, it is the kick that triggers the comp on the master, but it is only 1.5 dB reduction max. I softened that kick for the official version as it had too much click before as pointed out by fellow members in ‘bash this recording’ section. Once again, many thanks for taking the time to listen to it.

@ptalbot @redworks I think I see what you mean re voc in the chorus, thanks for pointing that out. As for the brightness, I’m always tempted to turn up the highs a bit on the master EQ, but I mixed this song without reference, so I decided to leave the them alone. Nothing worse than a song that sounds nice at a low volume and pierces your ears when turned up:)

1 Like

I like those small creative addon here and there. Emphasis on acoustic guitar makes this nice pop version. Relationship between kick and bass is not optimal. Kick dominates too much on low mids and bass feels quite thin.

1 Like

Hey @CosmicSea, nice mix! I like your balances and overall soundstage… and the vocal octave in the choruses! I agree that the LV is a little hot. I would drop it a bit and sculpt some room in the guitars if necessary. And yeah, a little more definition on the bass. (I just put up the tracks here, but there’s some nice mid growl on the bass that can be exploited–and distorted–and compressed to hell and back! :slight_smile: ) For the kick I would roll out some upper lows–maybe 100, 120–and turn it up… Or if your buss compressor has a sidechain, use it to keep those lows from hitting it.

Nice work!

If you have the chance, please listen and critique my mix; I’d appreciate it!

Mike K Mix of Personality

1 Like

nice, warm mix. i think effect on vocal on chorus was great idea. octave down?

1 Like

@isaacyom Many thanks, yes it’s octave down and heavily distorted copy, two copies in fact, panned a bit, I felt LV needed a bit of extra power in the choruses.

Many thanks for your observations @OlliH. Much appreciated.

Overall, this is kinda interesting mix, because gives a quite different perspective about the song. I mean, the song became more “polite” and 90s-ish. Cool anyway. Cheers & good luck, mate! :smile:

1 Like

Nice mix, very natural indeed! I do feel the overheads a little high, and maybe a slightly on the vocals but surely in the mastering process they would even out very well. Interesting what you did with the lower octave vocals on the chorus!

1 Like