Which Sub $200 Monitor Do You Recommend?

I want to get a computer monitor to hook up to my 17" laptop.
I’m looking for a monitor between the sizes of 27" and 32".

I’ve noticed that you can buy small screen TV’s for cheaper prices than computer monitors. Is there any drawback to hooking up a 27" to 32" TV, in comparison to using a typical computer monitor? I’ll probably use the HDMI port to connect the two.

If you are going above 23", don’t get 1920x1080, or you just end up with pixels that are an inch in diameter. The only benefit of a larger monitor if you aren’t going for higher res is that you can put it farther away and still see. Can you get a 27-32" 4k TV? If so, that might not be a bad route, although it’s going to be heavier than a monitor because it will have the speakers and such built in.

IPS monitors tend to look good. I’m sure next week you’ll be able to find some on sale somewhere.

2 Likes

Do they celebrate Black Friday I’m Canada? Not trying to be facetious generally curious @Wicked. I’m sure they have Cyber Monday. Color me ignorant since Canadian Thanksgiving is in October.

1 Like

It may take some getting used to. I did it when first setting up my Windows 7 PC about 4 years ago. After that I switched to dual normal-sized monitors. I had to play with the resolution and the distance from me to make it workable. I’m considering trying it again though.

Good to know. When I did it I found it hard to get a picture that didn’t look to grainy or weird (with whatever resolution it was).

1 Like

Oh crap! I didn’t know that. Good thing you mentioned it. :+1:

I’m not sure, but I’m not concerned with the type of TV I get, as long as it can be used as a computer monitor. Is it necessary to buy a 4k TV, or will other kinds of TV’s also work?

In Canada we have Multicultural Friday on the same day that you celebrate Black Friday. :money_mouth_face:

Naaaah! Just kidding. :stuck_out_tongue:We have both, Cyber Friday and Black Monday here.

My main TV (only TV I have) has a 43" screen. I think I’ll hook that up and see how Reaper looks on it.

So I hooked up my TV to my laptop…It worked fine. The best setting was 1440 X 900 resolution while I was using Reaper. The only part of the Reaper layout that wasn’t visible on the TV is the very top left hand side where it states the name of the project/song.

I use a 50 in tv and its great .Can pick them up used for little money nowdays

1 Like

Yeah, buying used might be a good idea. I’ll likely get something that’s under 40 inches.