What is Your Favorite Distortion Plugin?

As the title asks, what is your preferred plugin for adding distortion?

I don’t just mean guitar tracks. Vocals, bass, etc. :wink:

This could easily include a stock plugin in your DAW

Oh Man. I’d struggle to pick one!

Klanghelm’s SDRR wins for me when I want proper distortion rather than gentler saturation, where there are a few plugs I’ll probably go to before it - Kush Omega A and N, Waves J37 and NLS.

But I did just use Soundtoys’ Devil-Loc on a vocal today and loved it, just ludicrous amounts of distortion there.

1 Like

I’m a pretty big fan of most of what they make. Good stuff!

For just about every track where I might want distortion, it’s already part of some other plug I’m using for that track, e.g. an amp sim for an electric guitar or a tape emulator for a bass track. So I don’t believe I even own a standalone distortion plug (except for whatever comes stock with Mixcraft)-- just never reach for one.

Can I still hang out and read the thread though? :nerd:

1 Like

I like the radiator from sound toys for some distortion.

1 Like

Never touch them.

PSP vintage warmer

1 Like

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Forum Testing and Discussion

I don’t think I’ve ever tried that one! I’m guessing its supposed to seem like tube overdrive? I’m basing that on the name. I’ll look it up :wink:

Soundtoys devil loc deluxe
Soundtoys decapitator
UAD transtube
UAD transient designer (SPL clone)
Slate bomber
Fab Filter Saturn
UAD oxford inflator
UAD fatso
Voxengo Voxformer
Izotope Nectar
UAD solo 610b
Manley Voxbox

Waves Vitamin.

Thanks @Paul999!!! Reminds me…Schoeps Parallel Particles too!

I bought Trash 2 on a recent “killer deal/ can’t pass it up” sale. TBH, I haven’t had a chance to use it in a mix yet, but I had a quick play with it this afternoon, an this thing is a BEAST! I see many happy hours spent distorting innocent sounds into malevolent oblivion in my future! :grimacing:

4 Likes

I have never found a distortion plugin to be useful.

1 Like

If I would ever break my all stock rule, that plug would be my weakness.

I can turn a signal into a pseudo-square wave with compression…does that count?

ocnor
3h

I have never found a distortion plugin to be useful.

I was in this camp for a while but then Distortion plugs have gotten really good in the last few years. Do you use other methods to create distortion or do you shy away from the whole idea of distortion.

cptfiasco
3h
ColdRoomStudio

If I would ever break my all stock rule, that plug would be my weakness.

I can turn a signal into a pseudo-square wave with compression…does that count?

What Daw are you using?. Most daws have built in distortion plugs. Granted they are not the fancy ones but used in parallel they can be just fine.

Using studio one (3), yes there are stock options. I was just stating that compression is a form of distortion (subtle). I love distortion. Hell I even find absurd digital clipping can summon the firming of the soft tissues in my body.

This…

One of us needs to write an article on the many uses of distortion. I would if I were a better writer. :stuck_out_tongue:
I used to shy away from it too till I discovered just how often it gets utilized. It can do so much to a mix. Almost in a way that you’d never expect.