What if there was Myth-Busters for Guitarists?

…Well now there is…incredible…

I highly recommend his other videos too!

8 Likes

I like the dude. Got some bondo dryigng so I will have to return later. I had that fender amp before the trailer let loose on the way to a gig. This is what I need to learn…thanks

1 Like

Simple is best!
At least for me.
This video is so educational.
And the more I know, the less I’m an expert on.
Tone is a never-ending search, and it really changes in each venue and room.
Thanks for sharing this great video.
Rene

1 Like

That’s a great video, thanks for posting. I’m glad this guy went to all that trouble.

Realistically though, if you want to get scientific about it there’s so many other variables, the age of the tubes and other electronic components, microphones used, the guitar itself, fingers, ears, speakers, the room, humidity, temperature, what kind of mood I’m in, my previous experiences with different equipment and musicians that might color my viewpoint . . . . . and all of these things interact minute by minute.

Like dancing about architecture!

1 Like

It’s definitely worth watching, if you can spare the time.

That’s the case with all of us! I always find it strange when knowledge causes people to be arrogant. The more we learn, the more we realise we don’t know anything.

Well, this guy isn’t really looking for the small differences, he’s looking for the big, obvious things… and he finds them, eventually… They’re just very different to what we probably expect.

1 Like

My experience is that you can make most amps sound good, if you know what you are going for and can adjust the amp accordingly and/or add pedals to get your sound.
The nuances of how an amp responds to your touch or attack is a huge part of the equation which isn’t adequately addressed here. When the amp “sags” when you want it to, your pick attack is accentuated, and your ability to feel how the amp responds becomes an integral part of your playing. Once your amp is no longer fighting you, your creativity is turned loose.
In summary, most good amps have a lot in common, but when you find one that compliments the way you play, buy it regardless of what your brand bias may be.

2 Likes

The tackle box was cool. He should market that!

1 Like

I thought it was BRILLIANT! Sounded damn good, too!

Interesting approach. Although he was looking for the Holy Grail Country sound, this methodology can be be used for any genre of music.

1 Like

I’ve always said that all high gain amps essentially the same - I mean, if the preamps are turned up to 11 there’s not a whole lot else you can do with the tone.

Now after watching the video it seems that all amps (not just high gain) sound essentially the same.

Very informative, thank you Andrew.

1 Like

+1 on the recommendation. He’s been crushing it with this whole series!

1 Like

So I see a teeter totter. Learn some great things on one side, and old dog new tricks on the other. Might be my first time using the word conundrum???

2 Likes

Jim Lill’s video on guitars is great also. In that his 2 x 4 guitar and work bench guitars take the place of the tackle box amp. :smiley:

2 Likes

workbench and a tackle box. Sounds like the makings of a country song if you ask me! :beerbanger:

2 Likes

My garage don’t have no locks
Just a workbench and a tackle box
I keep my truck and hunting dog out there

I like fixin stuff and goin fishin
Make my livin as a country musician
If they take it all but him I just don’t care

3 Likes

Sittin on top that old work bench… a pile a rags old underwear
That might bother some a y’all …but me and hound dog we don’t care

1 Like

Don’t need a tackle box during deer season
I can shoot a buck without no reason.
I wouldn’t clean him on my workbench anyhow

I don’t worry ‘bout what I don’t need
But I do have a big ole dog to feed
If I can’t find a deer I’ll shoot a cow

2 Likes

You forgot the beer, but otherwise you have a hit! lol

1 Like

This kind of like my “transparent” overdrive thread too lol.

Like you said @ColdRoomStudio, Brandon did a good job back in the day with covering myths of recording/mixing gear too. We could probably dedicate an entire section to mythbusting most of the entire music industry from start to finish. lol

1 Like

Yes well there’s a few other things, if you don’t know Steve Goodman I’ll let him explain it.