What causes a recording to sound muddy?

In that case you may need to selectively cut low mids instead of high- passing.

I’d suggest you post the track (or a short sample of it) that you are having difficulty with, along with stems of the 2 or 3 elements that make up the track. I’m sure some here would be glad to help out mixing them so they are not muddy, and then they show you how they achieved that.

In this situation compare with eq and boost some frequencies on one track and cut those on the another etc .Side chaining is also an option

Dude, what CRS said,

Just post a full track of said, nylon guitar, exact length so you can drop it right into your project, I will also put a bit of tilt EQ and maybe a sprinkle of fairy dust on it… then you can let us know.

Can’t say fairer than that.

ps. nylon guitar is normally mic’d behind the right/ picking /strumming hand/ bridge for this very reason. If not, you could be dead in the water…

That’s the solo part of a track I started working this week. And that’s the moment I usually have problems since it’s solo.

Thanks for the help.

Just needs a bit of EQ in the right places IMO.

Thanks for the help, but what’s the eq curve that you did? Where did you cut, boost?

NOte that is a 24db filter so it’s quite hefty EQ.

1 Like

BTW your guitar has a buzz. Seems to be round about the A or D string.

1 Like

AJ already fixed it, but I would prob just do it something like this.

1 Like

Ohh, thanks for point out. It’s not my guitar tho

no probs… my version is prob a touch flatter sounding as I did some EQ plus some tape compression thingy… :slight_smile: pick your poison…

1 Like