Wasteland - JayGee

Loren_Littlejohn,

Thanks for the feedback.
The pumping is not caused by compression, but a screw up in using a delay with out properly setting the high pass filter on the track.

I need to learn to step back from a mix after too many cycles and pick it up the next day…

1 Like

Sounds nice, just a bit too compressed sounding for me.

1 Like

Aaron,

Thanks for the critique.

I agree with @Jerze & @feaker comments. Nice mix.

1 Like

I am finding the snare and hihat dominate portions of the song too much for my taste. They way they currently sit doesn’t gel them with the rest of the kit let alone the song. Pulling a little volume from both would go a long way. Other than that beautifully done.

1 Like

readworks,

Yep, the snare and hihat do need to be tamed. Thanks for the feedback.

funny thing is someone gave me similar feedback on my mix. soo…

1 Like

I have a side mix of Wasteland where I have implemented a number of recommended changes and for the most part, agree with the feedback.

1 Like

Hey, very cool mix I should admit!!
As previous replies pointed out, it sounds very smoothed, dry, soft… whatever in that way but it gave a very nice interpretation of the song. Very spot on IMO.

The only thing that I’m note very keen on is the stereo field management: I found it sounds too mono and with some parts being very dry, it reminds me some lofi sound design.

By the way, very very nice work to me, congrats!!

1 Like

ncls,

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated.

1 Like

I think the guitar is too wet, taking up too much space and competing with the vocals for attention. The vox seem overly bright to my ears, I’d tone back the EQ on them since the original recording was pretty fucking good. I like the drum sounds, but I wouldn’t have panned them to the left because you’re getting the weird '60s mixing vibe, it’s okay on speakers but doesn’t translate very well to headphones. Depending on how wide spread you expect the mix to be, sometimes you have to worrier more than others about how something is going to translate across different platforms. Try different areas to listen to your mix. On headphones, studio monitors, TV speakers, car speakers, etc. It can help you get a clear picture of what you need to change if something doesn’t sound right on a particular playback.

Regards,
Clownpenis.fart

1 Like

CPF,

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Anytime. Remember! You…are my number one…uh-GUY!

heard once more on old Samsung Earbuds (terrible ones) - previous pass was on AV40s (Treated room)

Mix translated well on the earbuds. Not much to add that hasn’t already been mentioned.

A simple suggestion I would make is to crop/fade the ending consonants at times, specially if harmony vocals and main vocals have different emphasis on the ending consonants, it gets a bit distracting. Example is 1:11s , quick and simple polish :slight_smile:

volume dipped at 2:40 and 2:48 , I think that part of song might be over compressed. Was more evident on the earbuds.

Other than that, no peaks, no crackles on the earbuds, nicely translated. Smooth!

btw Guitar sounded amazing on these terrible earbuds, most mixes (including mine) guitar sounded tinny on these buds, yours was not. Yours was warm and intimate. Now I know who to call when I need a guitar song mixed!

1 Like

FluteCafe,

Thanks again for the additional critique. I did very limited volume automation and agree that additional cleanup/polishing would be helpful.