Wasteland - 974dB Mix (with bass add)

Cool, this sounds like a Mazzy Star type mix. I liked it up to the chorus, but the mix of the chorus vocals started distracting me from the song. I like your bass track, it fits with where you took the song, but it could be leveled a bit better. I only heard an odd fill here and there. All in all, this was a pretty good and adventurous mix, but personally, I felt all the added FX distracted from the song and the story.

1 Like

A really interesting use of effects to create ambiance, although I thought the super wet backing vocal motif had worn thin by the second chorus and it would have been nice to hear it resolve into something a bit cleaner, only a personal opinion of course. I also felt the main vocal was a little too thin and lacking in low-mid body which may have also helped them stay out in front of those wet BV’s. Very creative mix.

1 Like

Little heavy on the FX’s for me. I don’t hate the added bass but Its missing a little something tone wise.

Great vox in this mix, real nice depth

1 Like

they delays are creating a wonderful effect in the beginning, but I think it when harmonies come in, it should be scaled back a bit. It gets a bit “soupy” when harmonies come in. I think the effect is awesome if it was weaved in.
Too much distortion on the chorus for my taste.
guitar mids are panned too far left.

love the bass notes added 1:35ish - so far my favorite bass notes added of all mixes in here, subtle but stylish. Bass notes could have been a bit louder.

My suggestions are to scale back the track a bit on the effects overall.
Keep the delay on the guitar in the beginning though, it works!
enhance and highlight your bass playing as it is superb. Simplify it up a bit when your bass plays, as in remove extra distracting echos on cymbals and such and focus on bass. Remove or push back other tracks if needed. .
I could literally listen to the whole song over and over with just your bass, vocals and a pad.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @FluteCafe!!!

1 Like

To everybody: you are right and I missed this one, sending my mix too early.

Being one of the worse score voted I am far from having a single chance for this contest, so what I can do now is wishing good luck to the nicest persons here.

1 Like

honestly though you had very good bass additions. Probably one of the best. If you do end up remixing the song for fun later, please do send me the new track :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will @FluteCafe, just for you. :rose::rainbow::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Hi 974db,
I listened to your mix a while back but didn’t get a chance to comment so far.
I like what you have done in general.
It feels to me like you’ve given the song a more “futuristic” approach with your effects on guitar, glitch and vox. I think they work very well.
What I would change has already been mentioned, so I’ll just list those few things.

• Bass needed a few more dbs to realy make a difference.

• That tom is reaaaaly hitting. It should be lowered.

• The lead vox get a bit buried at the final chorus when it gets really busy.

In conclusion this is a unique mix, with an obvious personal touch (which is a good thing of course) and with a few changes could be top notch!

Good luck to you!

1 Like

Thank you Georges, kind words.
Your (re)mix is my favorite, I love that vintage prog you’ve added.
I did not comment but a 10.
You will win, but I wish you good luck anyway.

1 Like

I am a hobbyist mixer but with a lot of love for that art.
That’s why your words really mean a lot to me.
Thank you Kevin.

1 Like

Top tips!!

Why don’t you revised your mix and add it here so that we can enjoy your work even more!

Very nice food for thought!