Wake Up - Early draft

I’m working on getting an EP out, eventually. This is one of the songs that’ll be included! I’d like to change the 2nd pre-chorus just a little bit, but I figured I’d put some feelers out for the current rendition of the song. I have some ear fatigue, and will come back later for further tweaking. Thanks for listening!

1 Like

A very quick listen on my good(ish) computer speakers. Love the guitar, love the bass. Something about the vocals is not sitting right with me - but I may have to listen to this on my monitors. Great guitar sound by the way - would you care to share the setup for these?

On a side note - the growling vocals is something I’ve come to love. I have to say, this morning I stepped on one of my daughters lego blocks. I near enough sang the growling vocal spontaneously! Good work my friend - really digging the sound

1 Like

Listened on my work laptop. The song sounds fine to me. Mostly, the vocals sounded fine to me but there were a couple spots where they kind of jumped out as being “too loud” or “too harsh” or something. Maybe add some extra compression to tame them just a hair. (I’m not a pro so I may be way off here. lol)

1 Like

@madpsychot

Here’s my setup for the guitar:

Guitar: Fender American Deluxe Strat '06
Strings: Elixir Strings 12077 Nanoweb Light Top Heavy Bottom
FX: Line 6 Helix Native
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Thanks for your feedback! Yeah, the vocals do need some work.

@BigAlRocks

The vocals are harsh, at times! I’ve always had this problem recording my voice, no matter the mic. There are frequencies that are hard to tame! Maybe I should work on my miking technique. Thanks for your input.

I’m no expert, but I liken your high voice to Yes or Rush but maybe cleaner aside from when you’re growling. Words are utterly important for me, and a lot of growly metal sacrifices that too frequently. I am listening twice to pay attention to them. You did a good job. It’s not too late to save yourself, from whatever I suppose, but it is a positive attitude, even as the music feels rather ominous!

I especially liked that delicate electric guitar line that is panned hard that floats in around the middle end, just one of many nice touches.

1 Like

I think you may be able to do some surgical EQ on your vocal track to tame that harshness. I don’t think the vox are extremely harsh so it probably won’t take much to tame it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Who doesn’t love those power chords. Very unique and catchy guitar riff. Accent riffs awesome. Love the growel:) Gals low register is my fav. Like to hear more words in the verse to break it up a bit. Still a very good track. congrats

1 Like

Wow, Ryan, I absolutely love your guitar work. Nice tone, EQ is spot on, and the arrangement and playing of the guitar parts really works. I love the chording and subtle movement at times in the chord shapes. Loved the guitars at 0:22. Very, very neat effect. Really nice. Helix, huh. Pretty impressive.

Vocals: For me it wasn’t that they were harsh, but it’s that they were pitchy and too loud. Nicely tracked, I think. I actually liked the EQ. But they went off pitch a lot, usually flat. To clarify, I’m referring to the sung parts; the screamo parts were nice. You nailed it. Was that you?

Drums weren’t loud enough. Really hard to hear. I’m not sure that this is necessarily what you’re going for, but especially the guitars and the screamo vocals really seem to be going in the direction of that (screamo) genre. So, when I think screamo/metal, I think drums, which are much louder and more complex. I’m thinking August Burns Red.

That might not be what you’re shooting for (the main vox and drums aren’t in that genre), but I dunno, that’s what I’m hearing and I like it and want more!

FYI, I’m only listening right now on my laptop speakers. I’ll give a listen later on my studio monitors and if I have different thoughts I’ll post again.

Very cool piece, Ryan. I like this a lot. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Haha it’s actually my voice. Thanks for listening! I’ll brainstorm to see if I can spice up the verse a little more.

Upon further listening, it could stand to have some vocal retakes. I’ve been trying to come out of my shell and not bury the vocals so much, but went a little too far…!

Yes, those are my screams! I wonder if my neighbors questioned my sanity, while recording those haha I should step up my drumming game. I’m self-taught by ear, mostly. I haven’t studied a lot of techniques. I’ll try to bring them forward in the mix, too.

I appreciate your feedback :slight_smile:

I’ll see what I can do! The sung parts could use some retakes.

1 Like

So you did all instruments? Drums, guitar, vox? Bass too? I wish I could do that!

Another suggestion for the drums, in addition to making them louder: do you perchance have a double-kick? That would add tons.

Don’t get me wrong, you’re drumming’s great, I’m just hearing in my head the double-kick, all-out, dominant drumming that takes no back-seat to the guitars or bass. Just thinking creatively. When I think screamo/metal, I think of drums that are less traditional rhythm, supporting the rest of the band, and more front and center. I’m not a drummer, so IDK exactly how to describe it.

That said, your drumming is pretty decent: Without the double-kick and wilder drums, you remind me a lot of Seventh Day Slumber, whom I love. So, listen to this song (Awake) on YouTube. Very similar sound and style to yours. Check out their mix. That’s what I’m talking about.

Nice piece, man. Very impressive.

1 Like

I’m listening through my laptop speakers, so I won’t be catching if there are probablems with the lower frequencies. I just finished listening through the song twice.

I really like the main guitar riff and the groove at the beginning. The drums sounds weak and too quiet. I’d advise bringing up the volume and trying to get some power out of them. Maybe the right EQ and compression can help, or maybe you can replace the individual drums with samples.

The vocals could use some volume automation and/ or compression to keep a more consistent volume throughout. There’s quite a few pitchy spots in the vox also. Maybe tuning the vocal with pitch correction can help, but I think you’re better off re-recording those bad phrases again. A little bit of out-of tuneness isn’t necessarily a bad thing but I think it’s best to minimize it, so that it doesn’t become too distracting to the listener.

The vocal growls are cool. I also liked what you were shooting for on the last “to save yourself”, that kind of tortured, raspy vocal. I’m sure you can prep this song up to sound real good! Cool stuff!

1 Like