Utility items that make workflow awesome!

I have been on a “bender” getting my studio work flow up to snuff. One little time saver that has really helped me is getting http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QK2B. These quick release clips are super handy. The biggest problem is that it is an all or nothing proposition. I had to get over 40 of them to cover all my mics and stands which adds up. I am stunned at how much time I spend setting up mic’s and every little bit helps. The next thing I’ll be getting is a couple 8 Channel 2 sided fan out snakes or custom loom to cable up drums quickly. My basic drum mic setup is pretty big right now. (16-18 mics typically). It takes me about an hour to get drums up and sound checked right now. I’d love to get that down to 1/2 hour. Since my space is multi use I can’t leave drums set up in the ideal recording location most of the time. These little mic clip quick releases make things much quicker. Unscrewing and screwing mic clips on stands is very time consuming. The only thing you have to watch with these is that they do actually engage. Once in a while you’ll think they are secure and they won’t be. I never take my hands off the mic before I do a test “pull” to make sure it engaged.

I am also going to be making a mic stand cabinet. I am thinking of making it out of 4" ABS pipe. A 3 foot length for each mic stand and build a box around it.

1 Like

LMFAO! Remember those 70 mic stands I ordered from GC for $6 each? I actually kept them. I’ve been selling them off for $20 each, and locals around here are easily dumb enough to buy them. But I put them on someone else sales floor so they don’t get pissed at me if they break. Anyway… I was laughing at the thought of putting a bunch of $10 quick release clip on a bunch of $6 stands.

Why don’t you just buy more stands! Oh…by the way, do you need someone to buy them from?

Robotic mic arm that can be controlled though an smart device: https://dynamount.com

Floor mat: I found there is nothing more annoying than not being able to roll a chair around on thick carpet. You know since you use a mixer, being able to roll from side to side of an 11 ft console is actually important.

HDMI over Cat 5 ($25): https://www.amazon.com/Portta-PET40E-Extender-Single-CAT5e/dp/B018JM07YY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483269953&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+extender+over+cat+5 …I started needing to figure out how to get long monitor screen feeds from the machine room to the mixing room. This is kind of hilarious because I’m in my own damn living room at the moment (since my building got wrecked), but in planning and designing the new facility, I’m going to need to account for the wiring and distances and the amount of screens going from one room to another.

Wemo smart switch: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-wemo-switch-white/5716178.p?skuId=5716178&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=4a234224-d21b-4679-9f7e-aa4d5412b62e&ksprof_id=401&ksaffcode=pg223148&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=Cj0KEQiA7qLDBRD9xJ7PscDCu5IBEiQAqo3BxMx-Hefp5YQqOnOpM6TF5e1AuO8-P6KUBTI4LXEV1hcaAq8Z8P8HAQ
…I’ve always wanted to be able to talk to my mixer and my monitors. Now I can. I got an Amazon Alexa, and she’s quite comfy in my living room by now where the mixer resides. Sort of become a member of the family. “Alexa, turn on the center section, Alexa, turn on the mixer wing modules, Alexa, turn off the Focal’s”.

1 Like

I love the idea of this thing. I just don’t struggle with mic placement that much. Since using good mic pre’s in a well treated environment I find that my usual experience is to put the mic in front of the amp and it sounds like the room in the control room. Extra mics may take a little time but I am not doing micro moves. If I need to move the mic more then 2 times it usually means I am going to start out smarting myself by micing the wrong source or using the wrong mic.

I have an engineered hardwood in my control room so I am actually looking for a 12 foot long 4 foot wide runner so that my chair doesn’t wreck my very expensive floor.

Nice one. I need to get my 55" monitor mounted. This will help:)[quote=“Jonathan, post:3, topic:269”]
Wemo smart switch: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-wemo-switch-white/5716178.p?skuId=5716178&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=4a234224-d21b-4679-9f7e-aa4d5412b62e&ksprof_id=401&ksaffcode=pg223148&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=Cj0KEQiA7qLDBRD9xJ7PscDCu5IBEiQAqo3BxMx-Hefp5YQqOnOpM6TF5e1AuO8-P6KUBTI4LXEV1hcaAq8Z8P8HAQ...I’ve always wanted to be able to talk to my mixer and my monitors. Now I can. I got an Amazon Alexa, and she’s quite comfy in my living room by now where the mixer resides. Sort of become a member of the family. “Alexa, turn on the center section, Alexa, turn on the mixer wing modules, Alexa, turn off the Focal’s”.
[/quote]

Super cool. I don’t know that I need this one but it is great to know it exists!

I forgot to mention sandbags. Neewer sells packs of 3 for $35 CDN. I bought 2 packs to make sure they are good. They are! A great way to secure mic stands, light stands and more.