Updated Textural/Progressive Funk Rock Odyssey with New Intro

Yeah, it’s a bit over the top, but it does create a certain texture that you really can’t get any other way.

Most of the harmonies had 3 or 4 parts, with each part triple- tracked. It was fun to do, but a pain to organise. Had to be ruthless committing to blends and baking in a lot of the processing…

For my next album, I’m planning to go more minimalist.

1 Like

Like Bruce Springsteen Nebraska minimalist or Def Leppard Hysteia minimalist? Or Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness minimalist?

1 Like

Hi Andrew,
This sounds sooo good!
Heard 3 times in a row on earbuds.
The only comment I have regards the backing vocals and it’s totally subjective.
When they say “bulldozer” at the start of every chorus, I would expect them to be more aggressive.
I mean it’s a bulldozer!:blush:
Def Leppard songs come to mind.
Maybe not as “stadiumISH” of course but somewhere in the middle.

1 Like

Cold Chisel “East” Minimalist

Thanks George! Glad you liked it!..

If you listen closely, the chorus vocals get progressively more fierce with each iteration - The later ones have some fairly guttural, distorted growls layered underneath the LV… But the decision to pull back from the brink of an all out ROAR is very deliberate…

This song is all about the vulnerable being bulldozed by the implacable. In this context the voice is the vulnerable and the music is the bulldozer, so for the vocal to be monstrous would be counter to the intent, in my mind.

1 Like

I love the fact that you put that much thought to your productions!

I’ll have another listen paying more attention to the lyrics. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks - It’s not that it is some cold, cerebral exercise - It is just that in the time it takes to do all this stuff, you get to think a lot about intent and meaning… I mean, the music and creation is very instinctual, but I can’t just switch off my brain the entire time!

Do you do everything yourself?
Composing, playing all instruments, vocals, mixing?

On most of my tracks, yes. On this one, the drummer from my old band played the drums.

So when are you entering the World Guinness records? :blush:
I’ve never known anyone performing all those tasks at this high level… Anyone who is not world famous at least. :blush:
I feel lucky to be a member of this community. There is some incredible talent in here and a lot to learn.
Have a nice day!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind compliment, but there are many, many people here who are far more talented, and are able to do all these things and more…

I consider myself a Jack of All Trades, Master of None, when it comes to music. Guitar is my main love, but even then, I might as well have 5 thumbs in comparison to the talents of some of the guitarists here.

My only real “talent” (if you could call it that) is persistence and determination.

1 Like