Universal Audio thunderbolt software question

So I purchased a used UA apollo 8 interface off of ebay and I asked the seller if the software/effects/modeling stuff came with a cd for it. He replied that everything I needed could be downloaded from UA website with the serial number. After I purchased it, I find out that UA will not allow a second hand user to access the effects unless the original owner does a transfer on their website to the new owner. UA also will not sell you the effects they say unless you have the unit registered. So it’s kind of a catch 22. Does anyone know if there is a way around this? The seller will not write me back as I have wrote him many times now asking for his help. If anyone can help with a workaround for the software, I would love to end this frustration. :tired_face:

Thanks,
James

Hey James, I’m not sure if there is a way around this but there possibly is.

About 8 years ago I bought an EZ Drummer CD from a guy here in Toronto. When I tried to register it I found out that the original owner had to transfer the license in order for me to use it. I also found out that the license could only be transferred one time, which meant that I wouldn’t be able to resell the CD/ software. I was half expecting the seller to avoid my emails/ phone calls because I got the impression he wouldn’t want to be bothered helping me out, but he did do the transfer after a few days or so. So when he did that, all I had to do was register the CD/ software under my name and fill in the serial number field. The serial number was printed on the EZ Drummer CD, so that wasn’t any problem.

It’s a shame the guy who sold the interface to you has such low moral standards. I hope you can get everything fully up and running. I’m always really untrusting of any information that a seller gives me, but that’s my nature. I’m always skeptical. I try not to leave any opportunity for someone to rip me off. But of course there are always ways that even the most vigilant person can be taken advantage of. I really hope that you get your situation sorted out.

1 Like

I never heard of the transfer thing before, I am old school where there was always just a CD that came with everything. I had no idea that you had to do that. I see that UA mentions that once you release the transfer, the seller no longer can use the software plugins with anything else. I keep trying to buy it but UA keeps saying unless you have a device registered with them, you can’t buy the plugins.

1 Like

I know how frustrating that must be. I wish I could help you out but I’m not very knowledgeable regarding this matter. I’m hoping someone on this forum can weigh in on this. I’ll stay tuned into this thread. I’m a bit curious to see if there is any way around this problem. Let’s hope so!

1 Like

You’re the best Wick, I’m just being all dramatic. :grimacing: I will get it I think at some point, or I will be happy with some other plugins. :sunglasses:

1 Like