Under the hood of a Commercial Video Game Production (New Tracks)

Thank you @FluteCafe for the opportunity to learn something here.

‘Hope Regained’ is a beautiful track with some interesting instruments, can you list them for us?

And you have definitely enhanced my piano track, something more than strings, what magic dust have you sprinkled on that? Good work!

1 Like

Hi Ingo, your piano playing was great! I added a bit more ambiance to your piano as I wanted it to blend in. These tracks will play at faint volume in the game so I got a bit bold with it .

there is a slight detune effect and just more reverb and delay. I have sort of synthesized my own pad using an ambient cello section combined with with low bamboo flute and bamboo chimes. They are heavily processed ofcourse to create the blend. I play these in binaural major minor patterns with occasional 7th and dims.

In hope regained I am using a bamboo bawu flute, accordion and a digital nylon guitar.
I am going for a tradition sound with a modern touch with natural instruments like accordion, hurdy gurdy and bamboo flutes.

A friend of mine plays the accordion and I am really digging the sound of it for this kind of game scenery. Here is another accordion piece I am working with right now for a bit more sea-shanty-ish like theme. The accordion is playing my theme with a bit more improvisation that I absolutely love.

2 Likes

Another concept track. I am writing for a scene where two protagonists, who used to be madly in love with each other, are suddenly facing off in a ship battle. A lot of heart strings are stirred and the background needs to play the “main theme” in an orchestral setting while portraying the “love and conflict” at the same time. I figure this is a job for a flute!

Any other ideas welcome too! Anything and everything goes. Bash away
Torn Apart V1 (concept)

1 Like

my daughter decided to record me composing this track this morning lol as I was adding some choir to the track

Torn Apart V2 (More instrumentation)

1 Like

Some sneak videos of soundtracks in the game

2 Likes

Is that pirate wearing acid wash blue jeans?? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

haha yes, this is the Bermuda triangle, anything goes :rofl:

1 Like

After years of pirating jeans tend to fade of course. :wink:

All of the tracks sound great and seem to fit well. ‘Love Torn Apart’ and ‘Maiden Voyage’ are more epic in tone and very cinematic I think which fits the scene they are in. I have to wonder though how the music will work when the obsessive gamer spends hours here. The other tracks seem like they could blend into the background but that bass drum? Or will the music change as those scenes become longer?

2 Likes

there are several ambient tracks (for example your piano track) that are mixed in with good amount of silences in between that are filled with bird sounds, waves and sound effects etc etc. The epic tracks kick in the battle scenes or some kind of story cut scene, but overall It has to be a good blend of silence, ambiance and ambient tracks mixed in for it to work. Needless to say I have my work cut out for me over the next several months and I am just scratching the surface :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Nice! I remember when you first ordered that S88 mk2 keyboard. Good to see it’s working out for you!

1 Like

yes I love it, though I still use my Korg quite a bit as well. I like this for composing because I dont have to fiddle in my daw to change soundfonts. The knobs and the screen make the workflow better.

and you were correct! there is still quite a bit of Design pattern usage in game audio. I realized that when I had to dig in the code to make certain changes. Audio Manager has to be a singleton to maintain object persistence across scenes

"public class AudioManager : MonoBehaviour
{
public static AudioManager Singleton { get; private set; }

private readonly Dictionary<string, AudioSetting> VolumeSettings =

new Dictionary<string, AudioSetting>();

private void Awake()
{
    if (Singleton != null)
    {
        Destroy(gameObject);
        return;
    }
    Singleton = this;"
2 Likes

Couple of new ambient tracks could use some thoughts
Decided to play some flute to some synth experimentation in this
Mermaid Cove:

Sea of Dreams

Listening to these takes me back to my introduction to New Age music back in the mid-1980’s. Steven Halpern, Ketosha (?), Mannheim Steamroller, probably others. I was very into Andreas Vollenweider (harp) too, even saw him in concert around that time.

1 Like

good ear! yes I was inspired by “inner peace” works as well. I tried to capture some nuances in a subtle way. He did some cutting edge work for the time combining electric pianos, analog synths and quite a wide variety of natural resonators like Tibetan bowls.

Creating a soundscape is tricky. It is either a hit or a miss. Comforting to hear that the tracks reminded you of some these pioneering works. I will likely make a harp version too!

1 Like

Beautiful stuff here @FluteCafe and I’m sure they will both work well as background for the game. The flute is a perfect choice here and blends nicely with the synth tracks to my ear.

There’s not much to differentiate the two tracks; I don’t know if that matters. The water sound effect is good but becomes a bit repetitive. Is there any way to vary it without breaking the spell here? Maybe some other natural sounds blended in?

1 Like

Yes, I tend to think of him as a pioneer of the New Age style of music, though I don’t know the chronology and credits for the budding genre back then. I also got his book “Sound Health” around that time (mid-80’s), which opened my awareness more as to the impact of music and sound on our ‘being’ - physical, emotional, mental, spiritual. I believe my favorite recordings were his albums “Comfort Zone” and “Rings of Saturn”, maybe a couple others. The discography says that since 1975 he has recorded more than 50 albums!

You definitely have captured that style. I’m curious how you made the water sounds. Andreas was another pioneer with the harp sounds he captured. IIRC, he built his own acoustic pickup system into his harp to ‘electrify’ it. Then he would toss it into the back of a convertible and jaunt around the Swiss countryside to perform at shows. He got signed to Capitol Records and toured the world. “White Winds” was my introduction to his music, and then “Down to the Moon” was released. That was my favorite of his, and I also got to see him perform it live.

1 Like

those sounds are recorded from a creek at a park. Sloshing around with a bag of pebbles in a netted laundry bag lol. Then processed with effects.

1 Like

Must have been a nice quiet place, no yelling kids, no barking dogs. :slightly_smiling_face:

Foley is such an interesting and creative art form, but ultimately used in most cases for practical purposes. Create a sound image in the mind (imagery) to support the story, and bring the listener in.

1 Like

@FluteCafe - I was in and out of here quite a bit over the last year. I may have lost track of how your work was coming along with these games. So did this pirates game you were working on ever go to market?

I just took a look at your Flute Cafe channel and noticed this as well. Did you start another project?

It is still in development, but set to go off to the market this year :slight_smile:
It is coming along well, and in process of a re-branding. Still lot of work left to go in. It is quite extensive.

However, yes I did take on a 2 other music direction gigs for games yes.

1 Like