UAD Console Question

Hi All,

I just got the UAD Apollo Twin x and it comes with console window software that I’m supposed to run parallel to my DAW (Logic)… but I can’t figure out why I should use it? I can load the UAD plugins on to my channel strip in Logic, so why wouldn’t I just do that? I feel like there is a reason I shouldn’t do that, otherwise why would they give me an independent console to use?? I know I still have to use the hardware regardless of where I access the software, but this just seems redundant… Keep in mind, I’m just recording myself at home in my living room, this is not a big operation by any means! Thoughts?

Thanks!!

1 Like

I agree. If you’re working in Logic anyway, I’d just keep it loaded in there instead of using up resources to run it in parallel

I’m just speaking off the cuff here because I don’t own one, but don’t the UAD interfacxes have the ability to run their plugins ON the hardware - specifically so it doesn’t use up your PC’s resources? I’d guess that is the UI for running the plugins that way…

I think that may be part of my question - the console doesn’t take up any of Logic’s resources as it is its own separate hardware designed to take the load away from my computer, but it just seems like 2 software programs to accomplish what 1 can do? I dunno, I’m missing something here. if everything I’m doing is in Logic, why not continue to keep everything in the same place?

It seems like if i was cooking dinner in my kitchen, I wouldn’t take my microwave on to the front lawn before turning it on, it could just stay on my kitchen counter. Either way it’s gonna cook something, but why leave the house?? Sorry, I’m being silly now, i’m just confused! :slight_smile:

I think either way the plugins run on the device, and thats where my confusion comes in. If the load is on the hardware no matter what, but I have the ability to keep the whole workflow on one Logic screen, why open a whole new software window? Just seems… unnecessary. I must be missing something… maybe for large projects but not really a big deal for me where I’m just recording myself? I dunno?

“It seems like if i was cooking dinner in my kitchen, I wouldn’t take my microwave on to the front lawn before turning it on, it could just stay on my kitchen counter. Either way it’s gonna cook something, but why leave the house??”

I think a more apt metaphor might be that if your kitchen is totally packed and hectic, the oven’s in use, and there’s no space for any more pairs of helping hands but you’re struggling to bake the cake you’ve promised for pudding, the Apollo Twin’s software/hardware interface is like a mobile kitchen and chef set up on your front lawn waiting to take some of the pressure off if you need it.

I have a UAD card, but I dont own an Apollo interface. My understanding is that the Console is designed to emulate analog work flow for 2 reasons:

1. Monitor through UAD plugins without having to worry about DAW latency (particularly useful for tracking live bands)
  2. Record through and commit to analog emulations of "classic equipment in much the same way as engineers used to commit to eq and compression choices when recording through a console to analog tape.

I actually have a Steinberg MR816CSX which has a similar feature. I can record with no latency while monitoring eq compression and reverb. I like it because I can have a huge session running with tonnes of plugins and the DAW latency set to 2400 samples and decide to do a last minute vocal overdub with no latency.

Interesting. Maybe I just want to keep it in my ‘kitchen’ because that’s just how I’m used to working and I never cook a big meal… aka I just do this as a hobby and rarely have more than maybe10 tracks to a recording. I see what you’re saying though and can see it being useful to other people who record a lot simultaneously. As long as it works properly through Logic I’ll do it that way I guess - at least until I get on the other side of the learning curve with it!

I’ll have to play with it a bit I think, I’m not sure I’d notice the difference since I generally use so few tracks on a recording. For me it’s usually just a virtual drummer, a bass line and a few guitar tracks, pretty simple stuff that should be manageable in Logic. I can see the point of the extra console now, but as long as there are no issues using it in Logic I’ll just keep it simple and go that route - I’m not good enough at this stuff to even add an extra layer of complication! :slight_smile:

1 Like