Trying Times

I wrote this a few weeks ago. My daughter’s boyfriend beat her up on July 5th, and thankfully she survived with only a broken arm, and he’s in jail, I think for a long time. I think that combined with the recent indictments inspired this song.

And then last night the 4th indictment in Georgia, and it’s a doozy! Fani Willis has presented a case that poses a great threat to Donald, an unpardonable sentence with a minimum 5 years and max 20. She wants the trial within 6 months. August 25th all 19 people charged must turn themselves in or face arrest. And 3 days later the federal indictment for Jan. 6th will set a trial date, somewhere between Jan. 2nd and 2025, but most likely nearer the 2nd. I certainly cannot predict the future, but 2024 looks very bad for Donald and friends. As one man said, had he just accepted his defeat like every other loser after the official results were in and run again in 2024, he’d very likely have actually won in 2024 with none of this legal trouble whatsoever. We’d all be better off, and I’d probably be still speaking with some of you. I’m still hopeful, but like the song says, trying times are yet to come.

Musically, I only hope you like the song, any thoughts good or bad appreciated!

Trying Times by Steve Bancroft

History is being made
And we have yet to turn the page
The world a stage has sure become
And trying times are yet to come

We’re in the middle of it all
The future hides behind a wall
We have our guesses and others’ too
What will be true I wish I knew

We may not have to wait much longer
Just shy of forever, just stay a little stronger
And all will be revealed as the curtains are parted
As this play’s final act has finally started

You’re in the theatre but not an actor
You’re a critic but not a factor
You’re in the audience so don’t shout fire
Don’t call the prosecutor a nasty liar

History is being made
And we’re about to turn the page
Trying times are yet to come

What the hell is his defense
Will he have some evidence
Tell us something that makes sense
Somehow prove his innocence

We have our guesses and others’ too
What will be true I wish I knew

I myself am living in fear
The worst case scenario could be near
And what would I do, I haven’t a clue
Hope these trying times withstand me and you

History is being made
And we’re about to turn the page
And trying times are yet to come

No more bragging, no pretending
The time for that is finally ending
The sheriff just rode into town
The judge and jury coming down

It matters not what you believe
It matters not where you come from
If you don’t sit upon that jury
You’ll watch the same as everyone

You’ll watch the same as everyone

Justice moves so very slowly
Doesn’t look like it moves at all sometimes
But the time has come to judge the crimes
Yes, these are very trying times

Trying times

But the time has come to judge the crimes
Yes, these are very trying times

Trying times
Trying times
Oooooh

2 Likes

First impression was, holy shit that’s long, second impression was, it could really benefit from some drums to help guide the listener through the various sections. Especially with such a lengthy number, listener engagement is critical.
Can’t speak too much to the lyrical content as I try and tune out much of the political theater taking place, but what I can tell you is that it’s all happening for a reason i.e it’s a scripted stage show, and all the actors are playing their part, including orange man.
Was sorry to hear about your daughter too Steve, those sort of stories really make my blood boil.

Yes, it is long, but it is also engaging. Quite a composition. I kind of wish the story had more of a resolve, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.
I think most people would look for ways to scale down your composition, but I think it is valid as is, and I admire your ability to put so many ideas into one basket. I get a little Pink Floyd meets David Byrne from the vocal. I would agree with Terry that most listeners would want a more prominent rhythm holding things together. Probably more of a percussion instrument based track than a drum track. It is hinted in there, but it is too low in the mix to propel everything else that is going on, which may have been your intent.

Thanks for the great feedback, Terry! I am not the only one who feels like it was always planned to drag out exactly this long, although I would have preferred they had finished much faster. It has been trying.

I’m not going to try to guess the outcomes, Styles, and I very much wanted to avoid any opinion biased one way or another.

That’s a great compliment for me! As to the drums, I am not the best fake drummer, and this song had a lot of arpeggiated instruments that kept the rhythm going, and I guess I just never got around to adding any percussion. I do have lots in my newest song, Lahaina Fire.

steban,
Sorry to hear about your daughter, though glad she survived. I think your song sounds pleasant. I agree your vocals sound like Roger Waters (a compliment) once again.

I like the lyrics. Writing lyrics is such a great way to let it all out. Definitely a long song, but hey, it your song and you can do whatever you want! Personal I like more present, driving drums…but whatever you think the song calls for. Crazy times for sure! Thanks for sharing!