Trying for a Neil Diamond sound ...yes or no bash

Just started this. I have trouble singing those low notes, so forget about my voice. Just wondering if the vibe is there. Only a couple tracks so far. thanks

Your lower voice works fine, blends well with the higher parts, I think some contrast like that is good. I donā€™t know about Neil (Young?) but this is a good vibe.

1 Like

They say some of the best songs were written by people who try and copy someone else. They totally fail in being a good copycat, but in the process find something new which sounds great. I like your lower voice on this song Feaker. My only suggestion would be to try and keep the low voice going in the chorus. I think it would be more consistent.
Good song! Would like to hear more of itā€¦

1 Like

Hi Ingo It is actually Neil Diamond I was going for. ha ha So much for that clone. Just messin at this point. thanks much

Hi Evert Itā€™s funny, when I played this song start today again, I did notice that I lost the feeling and vibe that started it out. That problem has reared itā€™s ugly head before. It is because I stop and try and figure out what I am going to say/sing next instead of writing the lyrics first. I will try and get out the wrinkles now. good catch

I really like the vibe of this one! Keep it goin!

1 Like

Thanks boss. I shouldnā€™t have put the ella thangy in. I donā€™t even know anyone named Ella. ha ha My wife woke up pointing to household projects to be done. I think Iā€™m screwed (and not in a good way) for a while. ha ha

It starts off pretty compelling. I did get some Neil Diamond tidbits in the musical style and your vocals. As you say, probably just needs some expanding and fleshing out. I did ā€œHolly Holyā€ once, for a voice recital, and got quite a few compliments on it. Neil tends to bring a bit more power, even on ballads and whatnot, but youā€™re definitely on to something. If you could do the whole thing in the lower voice, and maybe just add the high voice for some harmonies instead of the ā€˜duetā€™, it might help it really be Neil-ish ā€¦ since thatā€™s one of your goals.

Hi Stan Love to hear you sing holly holy. I always play that around the campfire. Everyone gets into it especially when the chord changes to A and it starts sing, sing a songā€¦ha ha Cracklin rose also. I hear you about keeping it low and let the harmonies bring out the chorus, well that is when I get to developing a chorus. Thanks bud

1 Like

Not surprised with lyrics like thisā€¦ :wink:

ā€œElla, youā€™re killing me, I want to kiss you, I want your c**k to be meanā€¦ā€

3 Likes

Ha ha I usually put my own lyrics in all songs for a little spice. I just sang this with the first thing that popped into my mind. It was supposed to be I want your guy to be me.
yikesā€¦I will post lyrics next time

1 Like

You want to sound like Neil Diamond???
:rofl:
Sorry, couldnā€™t resist thatā€¦
and yep, enjoying the lower timbres of your voiceā€¦ O, just read vtrā€™s words and now Iā€™m thinkng Lolaā€¦ now thereā€™s a great songā€¦ (wanders off singing ā€œdrinks champagne and it tastes just like cherry colaā€

low notes suit you buddy, more pleaseā€¦
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Emma you crazy lady (was gonna say broad) Lola is a great song now that you mention it. I am going to check it out and use it on our drunken campfire sing-alongs
Might try plalyiin it Gā€¦or your fav Gmin ha ha

I have been thinkin (which is a dangerous thing) Like to make a song to poke fun at country songs. You know 4 wheel drive trucksā€¦Friday nightsā€¦etc. Next part would be have some of the forum tribe sing the verses. You could be the dizzy blonde with shit kickers lookin for a studly bull rider. I have a good instrumental all ready to go that needs lyrics. Well that is my thoughts today. Tomorrow who knows too da loo

1 Like

wait, that wasnt meā€¦ i just heard them in context (kind of)ā€¦ I didnt write themā€¦ nooo, lol :confounded:

3 Likes

Good vibe, good melody and arrangement thus far, @feaker! I think, for Neil D., you need to belt it out and over convey the emotion being discussed. Iā€™d also hold a note at the end of a line a lot longer than usual for even more dramatic effect. I imagine the next verse rocking out, louder and bigger. Then there would be some cool bridge and solo guitar and then finally back to the soft beginning with a tidy ending. This idea of two basic sounds, this soft one, and a loud one, trading off is stuck in my head! You have four voices- soft low, soft high, loud low, loud high. They each can serve a purpose.

1 Like

Hi Steban I hear what you are saying and am presently working on some lyrics and melody delivery to finish this baby off. Got tired of it and took a small break. Thanks for listening