I am working out the bugs on my new setup. I have been tracking a project for the last two days and My new setup lets me experiment easier. Everything is on a patchbay as opposed to hardwired like I had it before. I hate patchbays but I’ve learned that I hate being tied down to one workflow even more.
Here is what I did today. One of the things we tracked was lead vocals. I ran my Wunder cm7 into the Left side of my Manley vari mu. I set this channel to just take the peaks off of the dynamics. I also Multed the signal out of this channel into the one beside it and had the second channel use the right side of the vari mu. This one I set to squash heavily so that quiet parts were dynamically where I wanted them to be. I recorded both of these channels into a stereo channel in logic where I summed them. This makes a very fat track that doesn’t sound super compressed. I know a lot of engineers track this way but this is the first time i’ve done it this way. I can’t imagine tracking any other way now. For anything:)