This Time

Well i thought id post this new track that i have been working on. Another idea i had on my phone which eventuated into this:

This track is the first i have mixed using the Andrew Sheps template with a few modifications of my own. In general there is a lot of groups, parallel compression and FX buss’s. I quite like the workflow it as you can get things up and running quite quickly without losing focus and getting into a tangled mess. Anyhow take a listen if have a moment.

Cheers

Hi Chris, Ha ha, I found myself smiling while listening. :smiley: As for what to bash… The intro the 12 string guitar seems strange panned so far to the left ( my laptop headphones have no left-right ear designation) I think the 12 string guitar would have better placement if panned 65% throughout the mix. or begin there and automate to which ever position you prefer once the music commences. From 16 sec. to 33 sec. levels are good. I’ve noticed you removed the acoustics after 33 sec. (was this deliberate?) (IMO) I had an impression the acoustics could have supported the electrics a bit. What I like in this composition is how you brought some push into the song using the electrics :slightly_smiling_face:
The vocals could come up a touch from 1.23 onward. and so can that nice lead guitar at 2.42
Good rocking tune, all the parts are there, just some volume corrections as far as I can tell.

1 Like

Sometimes one does not simply BASH …but Listen… :thinking::hugs:

That’s a 6 string acoustic with a bit of Microshift SoundToys and and little Reel ADT waves. Ill check out the panning. Hmm no didn’t remove the acoustics the other parts just take over for there piece of cake…will take a listen to that. dam and i pulled that lead back a bit :slight_smile: . Thanks for listening mate…

Nice acoustic sound! I really like the ensemble fill @ 1:49 that kicks up into the chorus - sweet bit of arranging there.
Mixwise, everything seems quite clear and punchy.

Something about the interaction of the bass and kick drum isn’t working for me in the verses. The choruses sound good, but the verses sound like there is a disconnect happening. Maybe it’s the bass tone… hard to put my finger on what is happening there…

The lead guitar part that "answers’ the vocal phrases during the choruses could use less low end - it tends to sound disproportionately “big” compared to the other elements there.

I love the “Ichycoo Park” flanger across the mixbuss at 2:33! I remember using that trick in my first Slate Cup mix of Lazy E’s “Clockwork Clown” way back in 2012. I also remember that it was a really tricky thing to balance out and make sure that the mix stayed relatively consistent in level and overall timbre when using it. What I’m hearing here is that the flanger causes the mix to get really thick and fat in the lows and low mids, so when normalcy is restored around 2:39, the mix sounds slightly “wimpy” by comparison - that’s tricky, but I’m sure if you play around with it you’ll be able to get a good balance.

Vocally, there are quite a few spots through the song where the singing is flat - particularly in the choruses. If you don’t want to go the pitch correction route, it might still be worth running them through a tuning program, just to use as a guide reference to keep you up to pitch should you decide to re-sing. Sometimes singing along to a pitch-corrected vocal can be a great reference point.

Catchy track!