The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

This song has haunted me for a few years. It’s both positive and negative at the same time (much like bitter + sweet). The video adds an element of tension to an already interesting lyric set. The song seems to be a lyrical/rap discourse throughout, no chorus or break per se. But it just flows and seems to make sense in its’ own way. The band seems to have been a “one hit wonder” with this particular song. Any insight into how this one song became extremely successful and popular?

3 Likes

Listening to the music, it is very good, and loved the symphonic grandeur, but I do not like the video.
Bitter-sweet indeed!!!

The symphony and the vocals blends very well, and make it a huge hit!!!
Actually my first time seeing this video.
Thanks for this, Stan!

1 Like

This is a classic! I think the involvement of the Rolling Stones legal drama had something to do with the popularity or infamy of this song. Though the son’gs string arrangement was done by Will Malone (Massive Attack).

2 Likes

I generally don’t like any videos. Part of why I love music is due to being able to interpret the song in a personalized manner, but videos are just a producer’s vision and why I usually close my eyes when watching after the first time.

1 Like

Hi Stan Interesting stuff. That same riff for 35 seconds bout drove me up the wall tho. Like the guitar tone a lot. Not much variety in the lyric notes. Still, it is intriguing. Thanks for posting

1 Like

It’s a puzzling and tense feeling watching it IMO. There are minor conflicts without significant violence (though one lady falls down). But the guy walking down the street seems so carefree (though with an intense facial expression) it almost brings a calmness to the chaos.

Indeed. They don’t always serve the song, and sometimes have nothing to do with the themes of the song. This one does seem to have an interesting story to it (shot in East London). I’m always curious how and why they are done, even if I don’t care for the video.

The video clip undoubtedly influenced the song’s success. Its director, Walter A. Stern, in fact wanted to pay tribute to Massive Attack’s Unfinished Symphony , another definitive nineties anthem whose video had the same structure. In this case, Ashcroft’s attitude not only demonstrates an extreme stubbornness, but also an exaggerated individualism characteristic of the time, with the protagonist completely oblivious to everything around him.

1 Like

I’m sure it brought more attention. With 856 Million (!) views on that YT video, I’m guessing the music and maybe video have a lot to do with it. In the quote in the post above, it says the video director was trying to pay tribute to Massive Attack, so there seems to be a lot going on behind the scenes. I did find the legal history interesting. The song seems to have roots in an old gospel tradition, and the Stones song “The Last Time” (1965) borrowed directly from the recorded version “This May Be My Last Time” by the Staple Singers (1954). There were no copyright issues for the Stones, apparently, due to the age of the song. The Staple Singers didn’t write it, and had no claim to royalties.

This explains a lot of it:

“Bitter Sweet Symphony” is based on a sample from a 1965 version of the Rolling Stones song “The Last Time” by the Andrew Oldham Orchestra. The Verve added strings, guitar, percussion and vocals. They obtained rights to use the “Last Time” sample from the copyright holder, Decca Records, but were denied permission from the Rolling Stones’ former manager, Allen Klein. Following a lawsuit, the Verve relinquished all royalties and the Rolling Stones members Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were added to the songwriting credits. In 2019, after Klein’s death, Jagger, Richards and Klein’s son ceded the rights to the Verve songwriter Richard Ashcroft.

1 Like

Yes, it seems to break multiple ‘rules’ of songwriting and production, but yet was massively successful. Maybe that’s part of the secret … be so different that you stand out from the crowd? It’s said that good songs (and good productions) always have familiar elements - so the audience can relate and appreciate; and something new and different for novelty and excitement.

1 Like

I hope y’all do more of these. I love that you all shared bits and pieces of some of the backstory/history of the song. Good stuff :beerbanger:

1 Like

Thanks Bryan! I started doing a series of these song production inquires (threads) some time ago, then let it slide I guess. I will keep your encouragement in mind, and perhaps explore some more.

1 Like

One Hit Wonders they were not.

They had four top 10 singles in the UK (‘Bitter Sweet Symphony’, ‘The Drugs Don’t Work’, ‘Lucky Man’, and ‘Love Is Noise’), plus a couple of top 10s in Finland.

Granted, this song was the only one of theirs that troubled the US charts though.

Feels like there should be a term for bands that are incorrectly thought of as one hit wonders…

Anyway, I particularly recommend you give ‘The Drugs Don’t Work’ a listen.

1 Like

Yeah, an assumption on my part, as that’s the only song I’d ever heard from them.

I think I have tended to loosely use the term to define a band or artist that had one phenomenal hit, and then not that much other success. Though it depends on your definition of ‘success’. They (“one-hitters”) certainly may have “paid their dues” and be quite talented. Even have a decent core fan base, and done many successful tours. It’s just a perspective in the end, based on our expectation of commercial success, which is only one factor.

Listening to this, and a few of their other songs, I don’t really care much for their other stuff. Even BSS is quite repetitive and long, but there was something about it. I can now see how it fit into their style though, there’s this brooding and moody vibe that seems to permeate their songs. Almost melancholy or depressing in a sense. Which seems a little ironic …

verve (noun)
a
: the spirit and enthusiasm animating artistic composition or performance : VIVACITY
b
: ENERGY, VITALITY
archaic : special ability or talent

Perhaps they meant it as definition #2. They definitely have a unique sound IMO.

I think the song was a success because it has a wonderful, what we could call a “great driving” song. It’s Friday and you put this song on you playlist as you drive off to the shore for the weekend. I think the vocals have that emotional English vibe of Oasis, the Stone Roses and even Radio head. I think that combination of floating vibe music with the 80s/90s British invasion singing style was and probably always will be a great song.

1 Like

Yep. A good “sitting and thinking” song too. :grin: The violin/orchestra melody is hypnotizing, especially after being repeated for such a long time. As discussed above, it was based on a sample from another song. It always struck me as interesting that the violin melody is played staccato for the most part, but the vocal melody is drawn out long and legato. Lots of space/reverb on the vocal too, IIRC.

1 Like