The River

Ok, I think I’m done with this now…

I did the bass with the Ampeg amp, and that was different…
S

I like it! Nicely put together. Seems a touch veiled up top and in muddy in low mids, but only a dB or so.

I put some tape eq and a tiny touch of mastering EQ on it for ya. Ampeg sounds vintagey & cool.

1 Like

Wow! There’s a lot going on here. Impressive song! I’ll come back when I can listen more carefully and hopefully give some worthwhile feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Great intro. Gal can really sing. I’m hearing a harshness in some of those melody notes tho. Like the vibe.
The keys really cement this together. Some wild bass runs in there man. For some reason I am not focusing on what she is saying. too caught up on the rest. ha ha Like the come to the river. Wild song for sure. Have to do this again and pay more attention. congrats

1 Like

Thanks guys… appreciate the comments… any additional hints on detail mixing are welcome…
Feaker - I enjoy playing bass. Play regularly each evening now that I got the Ampeg. Thought about forcing myself to learn how to slap, but nah… I’ll stay traditional… I like the sound of the Ampeg compares to Guitar Rig…

1 Like

A couple of ‘too loud’ cymbal crashes after the quiet sections you could look at, from memory, nothing else too crazy, that i heard.

1 Like

Nice track! Most of the issues have been covered in the comments above…

Something about the section from around 1 minute to 1:20 sounds not quite right. The mix seems to “close down” there. The vocals recede into the mix, and I’m losing some of the words and syllables there. Everything becomes very centred on the soundstage except the drums. I think it may partially be the distorted guitar there causing that feeling. I wonder if a pair of guitars out wider, with perhaps a less saturated tone would work better?

Some vocal lines really jump out a lot eg: the word “come” @ 1:58 seems to have a markedly different tone to the phrases that surround it. The other lyrics are open and airy in the top end, but that word is slightly muffled and a little “honky” in the midrange. It’s the same @ 3:05.

Nice to hear some stuff from you, Sven!

1 Like

Hey Sven, finally getting to this, sorry about the delay. Good song, good singer, cool bass part. What seems to stand out to me is her vocal seems way upfront and not really a “part” of the music, if that makes sense. The instruments, other than the drums (those seem about right), all seem muffled and in the background. Good song and arrangement! Looking forward to hearing you work this one out.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I have a nice action list now… just need to make the time

S

Version 2.1 of The River.
I’ve hopefully addressed most of the concerns…

So I’ve listened to this like 3 times now trying to come up with some sort of critique for you, but I keep getting lost in how original this tune is. It’s genre-bending - like Loreena McKennit joined a progressive rock band with Yanni. It’s out there! (in a good way!)

So I’m going to give up trying because things sound pretty good and I’m not sure where I’d go with it. Maybe the initial vocal is a little too hot? But when things get going, it sounds pretty good and balanced. That’s all I’ve got, sorry. Nice job on this one - really!

1 Like