Tell em all.....caution another slow one....song about secrets

Remember when you were very young and you had that one friend you trusted and you could tell them everything? Things about you nobody else knew. Well they blabbed and now you are crushed.

tell em all tell em all make their eyes go wide
tell em all that I told you
tell em all you promised not to tell but
tell em that you know it’s all true

3 Likes

I think you missed a verse. The part about the Karmic Retribution of Cosmic Justice for the blabbermouth weasel. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

ahh yay… a new fresh one from you Paul… different sounds eh?
Twinkly winkly folk club vibe at the beginning… I like the contrast bridgey bit… nice little guitar twists and twirls and a cool new song…
um… it’s a bit messy still mix-wise (grin) but I like it! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Now that is very funny. The edit is going to be fun. ha ha

1 Like

Hi there Emma Having a tough time coming up with ideas for songs. I figure it is better to keep making them rather than try to have that one great one. ha ha Yes, the mix is messy like me. Still kickin tho.

1 Like

ahh but it doesn’t look like that!! You have a cunning knack of finding new angles on things and a way of expressing it that is cool and a little quirky…
I’ve been working on a bunch of crazy kids songs… I am so politically incorrect, sigh. I am tidying them up after literally throwing them together for the grandies… :wink:

1 Like

What’s really funny is Donald Trump could be singing this to Michael Cohen. :rofl:

The verse has this cool kind of medieval feel to it, Greensleeves or something. Is this just regular guitars, or do you have a mandolin or 12-string in there somewhere?

1 Like

I haven’t listened to the song yet but just wanted to chime in about song ideas. Do you have other partial song ideas you’ve worked on? Maybe you can work some things together similar to what The Guess Who did with No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature.

1 Like

Man, I could have made a ton with the Trump thangy. You are very sharp young man. (well much younger than me that is) The guitars are regular on one side and the other capo’d way up. Crazy how folks view your songs and then you think yeah, greeensleeves:) thanks for hanging around

1 Like

Hi Al I would have to look back I guess. I usually just push forward to the next. When you are comfortable knowing none of your songs, have before or will never, have star quality, you don’t get excited anymore. I just enjoy the moment and am very thankful I have friends to chat with about them. Great idea by the way. take care bud

1 Like

My second song I ever made was called riding a camel. Kinda cool it guess. Peppy little sucker. Love to hear your children’s creations when you finish :slight_smile:

1 Like

I totally understand your sentiment, Paul.

1 Like

I like it. The only suggestion I would give is to not be afraid to back off the mic a bit. It sounds like the mic is as close as possible to all the sound sources, which makes everything feel like it wants to be center of attention, and adds to the cluttered feel. Backing off a few inches on the vocals, and even more on the guitars will make everything set together more naturally.

If you notice the drums, they sound like they are in the back of the room behind everything else.

I know it can be hard to back off the mic too much if you are not in a well treated room and especially if you sing quietly, but I think you could get away with a bit more distance.

2 Likes

Hi Boz I have recently found, that In general, I can’t hear vocals in most songs. Might have some loss there. That is most likely why I have them a little loud. Seems like when you tell a story, you ought to hear all the words??? I do notice that the meter is higher in the vox when observed. I have a AKG 414 about four inches from the acoustic. I bet I could back off that as a trial. I don’t pay any attention to mic position. I sit staring at the screen watching patterns go by and make up the melody line. I usually use my first take on the vox because I am lazy. ha ha I didn’t know backing off on everything helps toward a more natural feel. I will try that. Thanks much for your info

Loud is ok. I think the levels are fine. It’s just that when you put a mic too close to a source, you get sort of that harsh tight sound. It’s the feeling when someone puts their mouth right up to your ear and whispers. If you move the mic back a bit, you can avoid that feeling in the recording.

1 Like

Takes a while but I get it now. Very good comparison. my final mix is usually around 0db and I don’t think that is proper as well. So much to learn…so little time left :slight_smile:

Very cool Mr F , I could hear it with some more folkie instruments, mandolin, fiddle maybe. Your drums are OK but I’ll bet some Appalachian percussion would be better. What happened to Neil?

1 Like

Hi Ingo I actually thought of you when I was throwing this together. I promised I was going to get out of this slow crap rut. ha ha I hear ya on using some different instruments now. And yes, the drums kinda keep droning on. I usually grab something out of EZ. Drums are always my least planned. I have been playin Neil a lot, but have some sorta block that I have not experienced before. I have made progress and now am determined to finish it. haha Good to hear from ya bud It is weird because I have some kinda glitch. When I go into bash, this new tune is not listed. I have to click on my pic to get in??? Only me.

Just wanted to mention there’s a guy on this very forum who is a good mandolin player, and some others probably could put together some down home percussion I think.

1 Like

If I ever come up with a winner song, I will ask for help in all directions including you bud:) Fact is, every song I put out now is just a personal proof that I can still do it. I love the process. I love all the stories that go runnin round in my mind, I love the fact that most use all midi and I still do it the old fashioned way by playing my own instruments. That’s a whole lot of lovin, ha ha