Superior drum replacement

This is a very cool demo of Superior Drummer 3’s drum replacement capabilities:

4 Likes

I wish I had the money…

1 Like

My situation is that I can probably afford the plugin (upgrade from 2) but I’d need to get another hard drive to put it on, so that ratchets up the cost considerably!

It looks awesome indeed!
But I doubt I’ll ever graduate to that level… still plenty of challenges left for me in SD2

1 Like

I might be able to get you a good deal on a terabyte drive. I know people in the industry. International shipping is a mess though.

1 Like

Thanks - Yeah, the shipping’s killer to Oz. The only time it was worth it was when our $ was worth more than the US$, way back in the mid 2000s. Fortunately, I have some pretty good computer contacts here too. I built a super computer for less than $1k back in 2012 and it’s still going strong. As hard as it is, I think I’ll to be patient and wait until I’ve done a few more paid mixes before I spend any more cash on gear… It’s not as if I don’t have enough in the way of drum sounds!

I’ll be curious to see how it compares to Trigger for replacement.

Pretty cool. I am not a fan of hearing the cymbals get choked at about 4:45. I am not a fan of replacing cymbals.

I would tend to agree. I have yet to hear very good cymbal replacement from anything at this point.

Trigger is great, but it is only one track at a time, and it doesn’t have the ability to distinguish different drum types. Trigger also doesn’t have any facility for cymbal replacement… So from that POV, SD3 starts out with more promise. As far as accuracy goes, Trigger is very good, but you still have to automate etc to catch lower level drum hits like grace notes etc. I would expect a similar amount of user would be necessary input in SD3 to catch those finer nuances.

As far as I know, this is the first software to even attempt it. I thought it did a pretty good job actually, especially considering the guy just plopped the files into the software and gave it no user input or refinement. Sure, it interpreted the ride as an open hihat, and only triggered the one crash cymbal, but I’m pretty sure if you gave it a bit more direction, you could end up with a decent result.

Ideally, I’m not either. However, at times, I’ve been handed overheads that are phasey or otherwise sub-standard to mix. In those cases, I would have loved to have the option of doing something like this.